'A&K' M249 AEG

rsov

Looks pretty much like an early M249E1 to me...

http://www.uwyo.edu/armyrotc/cadetresource.../fm225/appf.pdf

I say an early model, as the heatshield was (as you say) adopted later on by the US - early versions didn't have it. They also had the tubular stock. CA call their version an M249MK1, though if you google that you just get loads of references to the CA gun :D .

Any real experts out there who can confirm whether it should be called an M249 or not?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Minimi "Mk1" is externally the same as the version that originally entered service with the US armed forces in the mid to late 1980's. Looking through some of my pictorial books I have on the 1991 Gulf War all the US M249s are of the "Mk1" variety, the M249E1 as previously stated by Pablo. Post 1991 the modifications that make the M249 into the "Mk2" appearance were introduced by the US namely the solid stock, and the revised forward furniture and heat shield. The Minimi in the "Mk1" form was also used by UK special forces during Gulf War 1. The long and the short of it is yes it can be called an M249. It just means that if you're putting together period US uniform and gear to match it will need to be late 1980's to early 1990's vintage, the "Blackhawk Down" look for example.

I'm in two minds about this A&K offering. I want to get at least one more AEG before the VCRB comes into force and I'm torn between and Minimi Mk1 or Para, an AGM MP40 or perhaps an L1A1 SLR if King Arms and Star ever get their acts together.

Actionhobbys p&p is about £8.99 and as trouser twitching a thought of a £208.98 M249 is

i can see the waves of im amz t3h l33t SAW men coming

A&K have made M249 Whoring affordable (Yayz!!)

btw assuming you did'nt have to pay import duty on it it would probably work out cheaper to buy from RSOV £166.99 to be exact

Actionhobbys p&p is about £8.99 and as trouser twitching a thought of a £208.98 M249 is 

i can see the waves of im amz t3h l33t SAW men coming

A&K have made M249 Whoring affordable (Yayz!!)

btw assuming you did'nt have to pay import duty on it it would probably work out cheaper to buy from RSOV £166.99 to be exact

Not to ###### on your fire or anything but:

Isn't that ... Elitism? *only men with lots of money can buy SAW weapons*

A&K have made a clone M249,.. so what?

It means, those who want to have a go at the support role, can do so, without spending £300 odd on a Star Support weapon.

Difference is they will have one that works with an A&K!

And it's not elitism, it's wanting to avoid having half th people on the field using a support weapon. I don't care if you payed $400 or $4000 for your saw, I realy don't want anymore than one per squad on the field or it just gets silly and realy not a lot of fun.

"Ok, I want the SAW squad to go to the intersection at grid 345 678 and lock it down. Anyone respawning on red team will have to come threw there, so if you get there and lay down fire we'll have this game in the bag."

Would you want to be red team?

its ridiculous if you ask me. I have yet to see it be a problem. The tokyo marui m14 is a great out of the box weapon. It has now become very affordable, especially for a TM weapon. Have more people bought m14s? Yes. Has it become a problem? No. Any gun can put out a great rate of fire. What it looks like makes no difference.

Isn't that ... Elitism? *only men with lots of money can buy SAW weapons*

Seconded. I find that true of alot of real steel owners and their thoughts of airsoft too.

I would love to see these cheap SAWs everywhere, just to laugh when the kid can't lug it around, and we flank his *albatross*.

The argument against having a lot of SAWs on the field is irrelevant as far as airsoft goes (in my opinion and not knocking anyone else!)

What "benefits" does an airsoft SAW have? It's the same power as most AEGs, it has the same rate of fire as any upgraded AEG and it's got the same accuracy as an AEG. That just leaves it with a larger magazine capacity, and the probability that the gearbox is going to last longer when going a little bit postal during a skirmish.

Personally, I'm more worried about the cheepo cloned box mags rather than the cloned SAWs!

Now we can get all the spray-n-pray kiddies replacing a loadout bristling with hi-caps with a loadout carrying a FEW box mags. Now that is unfair!

So rather than limit it to one SAW per team, limit it to one box mag weapon per team as i know a few people with upgraded AEGs who occasionally use a box mag on them and work quite effectively in a support role!

Also, if you take into account that these latest clones are full steel as well, any "kiddie" who buys one to just run around with is soon going to learn that the extra weight and lack of manouverability is a bit of a biggie! I was more concerned with the Star SAWs due to those being light(er)weight plastic which removed one of the traditional support gunner obstacles of weight.

And while, yes, there are more support guns on the field than there used to be, I don't see that as a massive issue, after all aren't we ALL there for (how did miniman phrase it?) "a suspension of reality"?

You strap a large capacity battery to your MP7, or upgrade your rate of fire to 1million BBs per second, i'll dual wield SAWs!

Ya, that's the way the people out here feel. We don't even allow box/drum mags unless you are using an honest to got support weapon.

And I should have made a statement that I realy don't see a $400 Saw as an issue. It's still pricey enough that it will keep people away.

Archived