A&K M249 initial impressions

oh hang on, is there something im missing? i see in the pic abopve there is a black catch on your boxmag, mine doesnt have one, should i be sending this back and asking for a replacement? tried to upload a pic but cant :( basicly on the top of the boxmag there is the green v shape bit (looking from above) which is all one pice but nothing else on it to mount to the gun

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took the dremel to the motor adjustment plate and all is fine and dandy now...I can adjust the motor, although it now seems that the new gears are getting trapped by the two halves of the gear box :(

As I still have to loosen these two bolts to get the motor to turn when the gear boxs is fully screwed down:

pinsta3.jpg

For those that are interested I now get 14rps with the above upgrades and a 9.6v battery. But I think there is something wrong with the shimming and the two halves of the gear box.

If you fit the CA motor, it still turns without unscrewing those bolts. It doesn't sit well with the stock bevel gear though, and screeches like a banshee. Fit a CA bevel gear, and all is quiet(er).

I'll let you know what I had to do to fix my issues when I've done so.

Another guy on Sunday was running his as modded by Phil at 6mil with a CA motor and all was well apart from feeding issues. I know he left the original shims in and didn't do something else that I have done, hence his fps being sensible and the battery not getting all hot and bothered ;)

Other than having carried out some lubrication and tidying up the cable harness I'm going to leave my gearbox as it is until I've given it a session in the field. I've got some shims ready and I've been eyeing up some replacement wiring but I'll save all that for the future.

I was all geared up to hit Combat South yesterday but I gave it a miss due to a dodgy foot that needs a little longer to get better so two weeks from now it is.

I managed to get through and talked to Frenchie earlier today, he told me that "AK are producing in quantity and shipping to us promptly, however the 1st of October is China day over there and most business close for the week due to the celebrations so there may be some delay but as soon as we get them we'll send them on to you"

So if you've paid for one already (like me) sit tight, they will turn up. Bear in mind that AS have also recently moved premises so things are a little hectic for em

Thanks for posting this - I was going to call them Friday if I hadn't heard anything, but I'll hold off now.

In fact, thanks to everyone who's posted info so far :D I've got a short checklist of things to do when mine turns up (tighten screws, grease gears, check hop nub) and plenty of stuff for the long term (sort the compression, power, ROF & add a MOSFET to protect the switch) - better get a heater sorted for the shed :lol:

Cheers

H.

Edited by Hilts

Kitchen table works for me (I put a beach towel down first to keep the wife happy) :D

I've got what I think I need to sort my issues out (thanks to Phil at 6mil for donating a couple of bits, very kind indeed) so I'll try and have a crack at her in the next couple of days.

So ah, anywhere in the US (Or will ship to the US) i can grab a MK2 without paying an extra $100? With gunner not shipping to the US (Regarding the 249), its kind of ridiculous, he charges $240 for it, then US sellers mark it up $160. Ridiculous.

Any place would be helpfull!

I've done a little more cosmetic tweaking to my Mk1 to improve its appearance around the area of the gas block and fore-sight group. Having studied pictures of various Minimis I noticed that on the real Mk1 the gas block pin (the one the heat-shield hooks under on the Mk2 and ParaMk2) is much shorter, so I have cut it down in size and profiled the ends to make it correct in appearance.

Additionally I wasn't too keen on the colour of the metal coating used on the gas block so I gave it a dose of the abrasive blasting machine at work which took it back to a bare metal colour which was a vast improvement. After taking a look at the colour of the gas blocks on some real GPMGs I decided that the bare metal colour also wasn't quite to my taste so I took an HB pencil and basically coloured in the gas block with it. Once that was done I tore off a strip of forby two cleaning cloth and rubbed the graphite into the surface of the metal. The gas block now has a much more realistic look which I'm quite pleased with.

A couple of pictures below, the flash does make the pencil show up for what it is, under normal conditions it is a uniform matt colour.

Gasblock1.jpg

Gasblock.jpg

Edited by Tarnish

Hey Guys.......just finished writting up the review of the gear box! :huh: 3000 words so far and I haven't even covered the external features of the hopunit!

Also on another note, I have ordered a hop-unit and a gear box from Classic Army to test inside the A&K to see if the two truely are compatible.

Last night I finally got to test if the removal of the excessive materials in the motor housing efects the gun and I am happy to say all is now good. Bewarned though is is so easy to strip out the threads on the gear box!

Fortunatly JB weld has come to the rescue again! You guys don't know how tempting it is to purchase the PGC gear box for this !!!!!

Also it looks like shops might start selling ACM, OD and TAN furniture for the M249 as well as the different barrel lengths.

Also it looks like shops might start selling ACM, OD and TAN furniture for the M249 as well as the different barrel lengths.

Well that's encouraging, hopefully the standard bits will become available too as I'd like to have a Para stock, barrel and carry handle set to slap on my Mk1 when I feel the need.

Hi all,

for those waiting for a pre-order, just spotted this on Airsoft World's website - hope they don't mind me posting it here :) :

M249's & L85's have been delayed due to the Chinese National Day Holiday.

Once again our shipment managed to be delayed and missed it's scheduled flight. They have now left China and will be flown from Hong Kong on 5th Oct. All things running smoothly, we should see them around 10th. The good news is that the M249's are coming with a new high quality battery instead of the standard one. A total of 310 M249's and 140 L85's are on this shipment which means that ALL of the M249 preorders will be fulfilled and all L85 pre-orders up to the middle of September will be fulfilled. The remainder of the L85's should be here about 10 days later.

Suffice to say, I'm more excited than a big bag of excited things.... :D

H.

Edited by Hilts