A&K M249 initial impressions

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure that's normal, the way I remember when doing wiring is 'No red square' and looking at a normal battery (GP 1100 mini) pack the red wire goes to the circle and black to square.

The only Chinese AEG thats come reversed wired is the AGM M14 to my knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that's normal, the way I remember when doing wiring is 'No red square' and looking at a normal battery (GP 1100 mini) pack the red wire goes to the circle and black to square.

The only Chinese AEG thats come reversed wired is the AGM M14 to my knowledge.

You sure about that? Just picking a picture from Component Shop:

250_mini-tamiya-bat1.jpg

It's just looking at the connection on my A&K it's the opposite of that and also the supplied battery wouldn't charge unless I swapped the connectors over to be like that in the above pic. Also comparing my G36's wiring, it's like that in the pic and the opposite of the A&K.

How odd, I just checked the wiring on a TM G36 (So that should be wired correctly) and looking it the red wire goes to the circle :S

I think now would be a good time for those with M249s to step up and confirm how the wiring is set up in their guns...

Red wire's in the circle on mine.

And it's nice to see some people do understand that international orders can take AGES to get here. Fed up of people screaming WHERE'S MY GUN!! WHERE'S MY GUN!!, Jesus calm down and practice this thing adults like to call 'patience'

You WILL get your gun, it just might take longer than you expect.

Well looking at my G36's wiring, which I've never really looked at and was comparing my M249 to, it looks like the previous owner had wired a large-small adapter to allow it to take a battery with a red wire to the square connector. So it looks like my bad. Anyway, what takes a battery wired red to square? RC stuff?

You WILL get your gun, it just might take longer than you expect.

It is not a gun first-off (it is a rifle). We got taught that in the Army (often had to do PT if reffered to as a 'gun'!)

And actually, I was speaking to someone the other day that spent £640 squiddy's on their order, and that order was placed 2 months ago! They still don't have it.

Really, my only problem is understanding this fact - why didn't they update us.... on anything? 10 days aft delay and still no warning that they are going to be late. Imagine those who ONLY have net access and base all their 'intel' around a website... Now they will be saying 'Where's my gun, where's my gun!!??'

Oh, and by the way, for anyone getting the MK.2, received an email from component shop and they said that 'You can select to have the large batteries, but fitted with small connectors. But if you want to place this kind of order, phone us and order by phone.'

Looks like possible even less hassle!

I thought a rifle was only a rifle if it had rifling in the barrel? Semantics aside, the reason they probably didn't update us on much is that first off the shop has on average at best 2 dedicated staff in store who have to deal with customers physically and over the phone, 1 of them is no doubt buried under a pile of guns to be fixed. That same member of staff is involved quite high up in the UKARA organisation. Further to that, AS have moved to a new premises which is detailed on their website. I don't think AS actually have a dedicated webmaster as such and if they had a body for such a purpose it would better serve helping with the store move, so thats another reasonable explanation as to why we weren't updated. If you have net access you probably have phone access and although you may have to try a few times (I've always got an answer within 2 attempts if I wait about 30-60 minutes between calls) as long as you can take what might be a frank response over the phone on the chin then you'll get your update.

On topic, in something of a rush to get all the parts needed for overhauling mine when it arrives I got some wiring from the same site that was found for bearings, however its about 4mm in diameter including the insulation...is this too fat to use inside the A+K gearbox? I'd rather not have to dash to maplins to pick up some 16AWG wire as component shop are out of stock of black and although the colours aren't 100% necessary if you can keep track I'd rather not risk confusing myself.

That said maybe they'll restock some time in the week I'll order then and do all my overhauling by Sunday evening next week

Just to recap

Replace bearings, mod hop if not fully functional, reshim, regrease, rewire with nicer wiring, clean barrel out, tighten/threadlock all screws....

Thats a point, I have an M4 length 6.04mm tightbore lying around, worth fitting maybe?

We're not in the military here, we're airsofters. We call our guns "guns", so it's a gun. If it was realsteel and we were in the Army, then that might be different. It isn't, we're not, so it's a gun. Now drop and give me 50 :D

Good news is I've managed to get mine working at legal limits again, and the BB's fly out like a white laser beam. Nice.

Well, I have a week off work so I have finally had the time to get mine sorted.

Attached sound file of mine below.

Mods:

Mosfet (From Frank, aka psyphyervii)

TM EG700

8.4v 1400 component shop mini batt

It sounds screechy on that sound file, it isn't at all in real life - probably down to the fact I had the mic right at the end of the barrel.

I'm happy enough with that :D

Edited by Shard

Well I'm an armourer in the defence industry if you want to bandy "knowledge" around and I can state that the Minimi is not a bleedin' rifle it's a machine gun hence it being called the L110A1 Light Machine Gun in the British Army.

One of your drill staff obviously didn't know his *albartroth* from his elbow on that day.

Anyway it's all by the by as Pablo says, this is airsoft and they're all smoothbore anyway.

:D

Edited by Tarnish

Got mine (para) today (Day later than expected but hey), quite impressed with it overall, I managed to break the cocking handle at the part where the two screws hold the spring rider onto the cocking handle but hopefully I'll be able to just bung an aftermarket one in there, either that or its time for the JB Weld. What I did notice is that there were very few loose screws bar the front sight so maybe QC is looking up. Also, out of interest I chrono'd it before I went to work on it, 390-400FPS, hmmmm.

I've done the following so far:

Replaced Cylinder with Prometheus Stainless Hard Cylinder Type C (400-301mm barrel)

Replaced Cylinder head o-ring with spare off of ICS cylinder head

Replaced piston with Deepfire polycard

Replaced piston head with area 1000 vented piston head, I know the stock one is also vented but its a matter of preference.

Replaced stock bearings with the ones that got mentioned up thread.

Replaced spur and sector gear with ICS equivalents as I couldn't get the bearings off the A+K gear axles

Replaced stock motor with G+P M120 high speed motor

Replaced stock spring guide with G+G Bearing spring guide

Replaced stock hop rubber with TM

Replaced hop bucking with longer length of 14AWG wiring insulation

Regreased everything where needed

Reshimmed

Yet to do:

Rewire with 16AWG Wire to the rear for solid stock conversion

FPS post mods with Systema M100 (fairly worn one) 315-320FPS. Which is fairly decent considering the spring was doing around 310 in another gearbox which had no piston lug (so no precompression nonsense) and a stock spring guide. Think I'm gonna put a Guarder M90 in there though seeing as the spring changes are so easy

I think I am going to have to acquire a dremmel and remove some material from the bit where the adjuster plate screws in because the gun is still kinda screechy and I think the motor is so far engaged its slowing the rate of fire down.

Also, I think I may have bent the bit where front of the trigger group mates up to but its nothing a bit of hammering won't fix.

Overall I don't think I've gotten over the fact I've got a full metal M249 with boxmag and mod parts for a third the price of the CA alone.

Hi guys.

I have a question to all of you who have put a sling to your Minimi. How can you aim with the sling? If I want to be able to aim with the sling put, I have to adjust its length to the maximum, so when is hung, it nearly hit my legs! But it is the only way I can aim the weapon inmediately if is needed.

Im seeing a lot of pictures where the weapon is hung very shortly, so it is at the chest position (for example, the picture of Far East), but if you want to aim with so short sling adjustment, you can not!

:D any chance of a guide, or was it just accidental magics?

CA high speed motor

G&G anti-reversal latch (trust me, this seems to help - runs a lot smoother with this fitted)

Lubrication

Decent 9.6V battery

Nothing else I've done to it will have affected the ROF I don't think.

• 3 weeks later...