A&K M249 initial impressions

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bullet power is irrelevant, since in the support role you generally don't hit anything.

I might be wrong but in real armies aren't so called 'support' weapons actually the main offensive weapon of a squad/platoon/whatever? Thus don't they do most of the 'business' in firefights.

Also a greater power bullet will for the most part have greater penetrating power for the most part, ie going through building, cover, and such forth.

off topicness, my bad <_<

If I recall correctly, we use the para version with the heat cover removed at the moment. Back in 1991 SAS patrols were issued with the Mk.1 variant with the wire stock, not too sure if back then regular infantry used anything other than the L85/L86/GPMG

Apparently M4 type nunchuck packs should fit into the foregrip of the gun so you should be able to get enough rounds out the battery if you do use a Para/Mk.1 unless you do some really heavy support gunning

Which version is used by the British Army & is there a version both the US & Brit Armies use?I want the Para version but i'm just about to start checking the web to see if it's compatable with a Brit loadout! B)

The in service Minimi with the British Army is an off the shelf Para model bought direct from Fabrique Nationale so it has the Mk1 style foregrip, no heat shield and if it has a rail fitted to the feed cover at all it is a dove tail to take a SUSAT or a raised mount to allow the Common Weapon Sight to be fitted. UK nomenclature is the L110A1.

The original "Mk1" Minimi as used by UKSF in the 1991 Gulf War is termed the L108A1.

Like yourself I was originally going to plump for the Para model but I've since decided I want a "full size" LMG so I've pre-ordered the Mk1. I'm thinking it may perhaps be a good idea if lots of us badger A&K via the dealers to release all the various stocks and barrel assemblies as stand alone accessories eventually. If I had a Para barrel, para stock and gearbox with vented cylinder to swap over on my Mk1 I'd be ten minutes away from an L110A1 whenever I wanted.

Just a thought anyway!

:)

British Army webpage for the 5.56mm Minimi Light Machine Gun

Edited by Tarnish
And for anyone wondering--the Japanese use the Mk1 with a heatshield attached.

I think the Australians use the plain Mk1, maybe with a railed cover.

On a similar note the current FN Herstal production Minimi has the solid "Mk2" stock and folding carrying handle but still has the "Mk1" foregrip, no heatshield and "Mk1" style flash hider. There are so many slight variations between all the different nations that I reckon just about any incarnation you could come up with would be right somewhere along the line.

:)

FN Herstal homepage

Edited by Tarnish
Bullet power is irrelevant, since in the support role you generally don't hit anything.

Untrue. M60s tend to have insane amounts of firepower, and with the SF tripod kit (I've used M60s without them, and they're not exactly the most accurate without it yet they get the job done fairly well), you can hit targets up to 1800 metres out.

Mind you, you wouldn't be able to see them clearly- a number is given, usually predetermined on an exact spot based on the position of a tripflare or a killzone, and you'd let 'er rip into that specific area when given the order.

Quite effective.

Also, M249s account for a very, very high proportion of a section's firepower.

In regards to the airseal issue, I have noticed on the CA249 Mk2 and the para version, when upgraded with a spring that is supposed to rate above 450fps it loses power. I had a 500fps spring in a Mk2 and it only chronoed 412fps, same goes with a Para that I worked on.

So the airseal issue may not be anything new really.

I'm sure that at a future date there are going to be spare parts available including the MRK1 foregrip to buy?

My plan for the Para if I'd ordered one was to get some CA Mk1 grip panels from UN Company, I'm sure even if they need a little work that they'll fit eventually.

Mk1 Grips at UN Company

OK just a quickie - the rof on the video was because the battery was indeed going flat - the explanation was on another forum.

Off topic - rof is too slow? Are you really NOT going to duck cos there are ONLY 400 rounds/min coming at you? Love to meet you on the battlefield........

And I've pre ordered my Mk1. Had the STAR pile of poo and the CA is waaay to expensive (I could insure my bike for 3 years on the cost of a CA, and I dont have a small bike)

The GB is definitely a cast copy of the CA and looks decent. Definitely not up to PGC's machined version though

Dedpending on how these are cast and how many bubbles are left in the finished product, I would suspect we'll see a few of these cracking in a year or so as more people upgrade their A&Ks.

I'm hopeful the reverse will be true for those of us in the UK reducing the power to 1 joule and eventually fitting higher grade parts. Still there's always the option if possible of fitting a CA gearbox, again UN Company have them in stock for both front and rear wired versions.

Edited by Tarnish
The GB is definitely a cast copy of the CA and looks decent. Definitely not up to PGC's machined version though

Dedpending on how these are cast and how many bubbles are left in the finished product, I would suspect we'll see a few of these cracking in a year or so as more Americans  upgrade their A&Ks.

Fixed :P

If this is coming out at 420 fps i cant see many people actually wanting more power. If i do get one then i'll be downgrading it to 350fps or so, that way it aint too powerful and the GB is under less stress and strain.