• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THanks for the comments guys, I will talking with the team at Modify today to get prices, release dates and retailers for you.

Also sorry about the carpet fibers :D

OK just to let you all know that a version 2 & 3 gear box anti-reversal latch will be sold seperatly and also a version 6 & 7 is in the making.

Piston teeth have been exstensivly tested with a S150+ spring, but should not be used with cut gear cogs.

Very interested in the cylinder head and anti reversal latch.

One thing that springs to mind though - i thought ALL gearboxes needed individula shimming and that very few gearboxes were alik in shimming. So how does this product work exactly?

What would be interesting is if modify released the gear frame seperate, so that the user's own gears could be taken out as one piece. Ie CA gears in a modify frame. That would make things much easier for existing GBs.

Very interested in the cylinder head and anti reversal latch.

One thing that springs to mind though - i thought ALL gearboxes needed individula shimming and that very few gearboxes were alik in shimming. So how does this product work exactly?

What would be interesting is if modify released the gear frame seperate, so that the user's own gears could be taken out as one piece. Ie CA gears in a modify frame. That would make things much easier for existing GBs.

Shimming is used to maintain the proper spacing between the gears. This is already done since it comes as a set. Also, each gear is separated from the gearbox shell by the frame around the gears.

Shimming is used to maintain the proper spacing between the gears.  This is already done since it comes as a set.  Also, each gear is separated from the gearbox shell by the frame around the gears.

I think LJs point is more that for the Modify gears to NOT rattle around (or be tight) inside the gearbox, the gearbox would have to be a standard width.

If that was the case then modular gears wouldn't be neccesary cos normal gears could be made to fit.

Anyway, bottom line is that I'd rather be able to add another shim that costs less than 1p, when my gears start to wear, rather than replace the whole gear-train.

Ok guys this is direct from Modify:

1) Release dates:

Ver.2/Ver.3 Anti-reversal latch (for marui series) was released at a gun show in Taiwan this Month. It will be available in Europe, USA, Canada in Septemper.

Ver. 6 & Ver. 7 Anti-reversal latches (for marui series) is expected to be released at the beginning of September.

2) Suggested Retail Price: US$ 9

3) Distributors & Dealers:

USA: JAG Precision www.JagPrecision.com

Cananda: Airsoftparts www.airsoftparts.ca

Europe: Airsoft Assist www.airsoftassist.eu/

Germany: Sniper Airsoftguns www.sniperairguns.de/

Stormtec www.stormtec.de/

Philippine: Blutac airsoft and hobbies www.blutac-airsoft.ws

Indonesia: AMP +62 81 2962 9758  shoeix8@yahoo.com

I have a feeling though guys that the RRRP is a mistype and should be $90 USD I have e-mailed asking for confirmation on this.

cool review, thankyou for it!

For 90 US though, i'm not convinced, especially considering the fact that the shimming is "fixed" (i'm assuming this, as i can see no way of adjusting it) gear wear could be a problem, especially on the bevel/pinion mesh, and could well be exaggerated if they do not align/mesh properly in the first place.

It is a good idea however, and if it becomes more mainstream/cheaper I think it would most certainly be a great help to people like myself who see the gearbox and break down in tears. (every one i take apart I can't get back together) But for 90 US it is rather steep, and you could buy a clone gearbox set and a whole hash of parts for less money.

I like the piston/cylinder and Spring Guide set, are there others available for different models (G36 and the like?).

Thanks for the review though, i like how in-depth your reviews are!

regards 'd5

Ok confirmation:

Anti-reversal latch r.r.p: $9-$10 USD

Whole set of Modular gear set is US$73, which includeds:

1) Modular gears with tempered stainless bushes (double oil grooves), 1 set

2) Stainless bushes, 6 pieces

3) Anti-reversal latch, 1 piece

4) Synthetic lubricant with PTFE, 1 piece

$73 for the set seems very reasonable to me. This looks very interesting and well thought out. My only reservation is how well it would work in my CA SCAR, which some say is a non-normal gearbox and others that is identical to V2.

I'd be much more likely to buy this if I knew that answer...FarEast ^_^

Compatibility with CA is always hard, since they don't produce consistant marui like gearboxes. There are always little changes in the gearbox, esspecially the re-inforced ones.

But FarEast, let's test!

Besides, FarEast, may i put your review on my site?

Edited by SlickAxe

Hey, Far East, I was considering putting the ECHO 1 cylinder set into my CA V2 and V3 gearboxes and I was wondering if you could answer a few things?

1. Have you seen any wear on the second tooth of the piston from incorrect meshing with gears? (A big problem I have my deepfire nylon piston)

2. Do the cylinder sets come with V2 heads only or do they produce V3 specific with their G36, AUG, etc. cylinder sets?

3. How eactly is the piston standing up to the high spring ratio? You only mentioned that you were testing it and I'm very curious as I have a high rated Systema spring just lying around that I want to install.

Thank you, I'm really looking into these cylinder sets as I really support ECHO 1 and try to order their parts when I can.

Compatibility with CA is always hard, since they don't produce consistant marui like gearboxes. There are always little changes in the gearbox, esspecially the re-inforced ones.

But FarEast, let's test!

Besides, FarEast, may i put your review on my site?

Sorry no, over the years i have been asked many times if other sites can host my reviews and the answer is always the same. I write exclusively for Arnie's Airsoft.

Also if you could be so kind to remove the second image in your news section regarding the Modular Gear set, as that image is my property and not Modify's I would appreciate it, this is the second time i have asked now.

• 3 weeks later...

FarEast, you say this product creates a "distinctive", I believe that is the word you used, sound. Could you expand on this? Is it screechier? Quieter?

Thanks and I am almost positive I will be buying this.

EDIT: Also, I realize that the previous post was a while ago, so have these been released yet? If so, where?

Edited by Sgt. Carter
  • 3 months later...
FarEast, you say this product creates a "distinctive", I believe that is the word you used, sound. Could you expand on this? Is it screechier? Quieter?

Thanks and I am almost positive I will be buying this.

EDIT: Also, I realize that the previous post was a while ago, so have these been released yet? If so, where?

Ok these are a slightly higher pitch than Marui standard gears, But recently I had to strip the gun down to service the parts and I noticed that I had built the gear box without using any gear grease, the gears had only been using the silicon so even though the gears are in perfect condition they did not receive the added bonus of suppressing the sound that the grease offers.