Rate of Fire

Foxtrot

I'm interested in building another RPK for my self.. and basiclly I'm curious how to make a TM, V3 gear box keep up substained fire.

My ideas was this: Spring upgrade, for this matter, m100/1J spring of picking (probably guarder for my picking.), piston upgrade - Guarder Blue with aluminum head with bearings. V3 spring guide with bearings, keep the stock TM gears intill needing replaced, and then they will be replaced with systema Flat cut standard gears. But the key thing, other then shimming, is ball-bearing bushing, correct?

Any other opinions on how to make a gear box run with substained fire?

Thanks & Cheers

Fox

All sounds fine except for the aluminum piston head. You will get a better seal (how much better has yet to be seen) and a louder report with the aluminum head, but it wears down the gearbox itself faster. I've seen way too many V2 boxes broken because of this. And even though you're using a V3, it's just something you can do without.

Ball bearings are good, but i'd stick with bushings. Bearings just introduce more moving parts to break.

Hope that helps.

I know that ball bears are something that just go out over time unless properly maintained, of course, I'd try my best to maintain them.

I'm curious about them because the bearings would reduce the amount of stress on the gears, this allowing them to spin faster, and increasing the ROF - maybe not by much, but I'm looking for relability - if taken care of properly.

As for an aluminum piston head - I agree with you about V2 gear boxes, they're not good for those, especially in any bit of cold.

For V3 though, in my last RPK I ran a metal bushing/m100/Aluminum piston and piston head on a 9.6v 3000 mah battery, and it lasted over 90,000 rounds before stripping a gear out.

I'm mainly concerned about gears and pistons going - because in my last RPK, I replaced gears 2 times, TM set, and a systema helical set - I note this because they stripped out due to the bad red polycarb systema piston.

I also went through 3 pistons, TM stock piston, Red piston, and the said aluminum piston.

I have experiance.. I just would like to clear a few things up about: What piston/Piston head combination to use, what bushings, and what gears.

I gotcha.

Personally, if I were to build an AEG for sustained fire. I would go with a Guarder Blue piston, Guarder polycarb piston head. Guarder bushings with double oil channel, and standard ratio systema gears. Not sure if that helps at all.

I had the same setup (minus the systema gears, kept the stock ones, and a 120 spring) in my Mp5, and the only thing that failed after a good 60k rounds was the gearbox, because I had that alum piston head.

Personally, I think AEGs make terrible sustained fire weapons, theres just too much stress and moving parts, but I doubt you'd like my alternative.

Hehe... replace the internals with a custom air job?

Thought about it already - expensive to do.. very expensive.

The only thing I've heard is the polycarb piston heads tend to wear down faster then aluminum. Not real sure if this is true or not, but I know silicon ones do.

Plus.. the aluminum ones make a ring, which sounds badass :)

They do sound awesome, I've just had no luck after xx number of rounds with em, and you wanted ultimate reliability :)

Custom air job isnt hard at all. Asahi BV Units go for about 100 bucks, you just have to mount it and make your own fittings for the mags. But an Asahi airfed AK would be awesome ;)

Archived