DSR1 - candyman style

Candyman

Wood is good. Now you've smoothed it down further into its final form, that grip does actually look like the one in the big picture, yet somehow it looks much nice being wood, as opposed to black synthetic material. Still, it would be a crime to paint it- I think the dark stain idea sounds cool- and wouldnt look wrong at all (remember you are prone to improving the existing design sometimes....).

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a compromise? Stain it, wax/lacquer it and then take a silicone rubber mould from it and cast a glass fibre resin plastic copy. That way it could be swopped if you felt like it.

Personally I think a big bandsaw would be a useful addition, unlesss you enjoy the hours of hacksaw work............ :P

Merry Christmas all.

Yes its nearly there, well sort of im writing a list of bits that need adjusting and modifying to work smoothly or just fit right. Theres so much binding in the trigger mechanism at the moment I cant pull it!

The wood is nice but im sticking to my original plan and the original picture I showed you all so the grip will be black. The coverage of the stain on the alpine was patchy, it looked ok on that but I will use something thicker for this.

I'd love a metal bandsaw but im running out of room in the garage! a lathe would be nice too, luckily the 2 bits I needed a lathe for I got Sidewinder, SAS to do for me. A very skilled chap with the lathe has saved me a lot of time and effort there.

I will post a mock up stuck together with tape picture in a bit, just so you get an idea of what it will look like.

That is very nice, sir. I admire the way you create your wood parts, it is very creative! I think you should just stain it a darker brown but not black... actually I like the colour it is now. Black and silver looks so nice with a touch of wood! Merry christmas to you too (and everyone else i suppose) :D

Dont get too excited, its held together with sticky tape and balanced on a box. The whole front end is loose, Im now drilling and tapping the front end so everything screws to everything else, upper and lower receiver, the tube to the receiver, the rail to everything, the tube to the front end, etc etc.....

I still need to do the inner barrel, make the cheekrest move a bit smoother and twist the grip round a bit, where the rear magazine is, its right in the way of my wrist so im going to twist it round a bit. This is one of those unforseen things that only becomes aparent when its all together.

The scope is off my Alpine for now, i'll have to make a much higher scope mount. When i get on the cheek rest I can see right over the top of the scope!

oh yeh and im a magazine short :( I hate making things twice! still quite a lot of work to do really, but its easy from now on.

dsr212.JPG

dsr212.JPG

dsr213.JPG

dsr213.JPG

...I'd love a metal bandsaw but im running out of room in the garage! ...

For the size of pieces you're doing, a small fret/scroll saw would be ideal. They sit on a bench/worktop and can be stored underneath as they're not very heavy.

Fret saws have a blade with teeth in one plane only (like a coping-saw blade) while scroll saws have a thick (1-2mm) blade that has 'teeth' all round (like a tile saw).

Scroll/fret saws...

Again...

Dont get too excited, its held together with sticky tape and balanced on a box. The whole front end is loose, Im now drilling and tapping the front end so everything screws to everything else, upper and lower receiver, the tube to the receiver, the rail to everything, the tube to the front end, etc etc.....

Wow... it's really coming together! :o

oh yeh, i have a little scroll saw, the limit for that is about 3mm ally, i think were talking about cutting 10mm+ ally...

Actually, I was meaning for the woodworking parts of your project(s) :P

When I saw you'd chain-drilled the grip profile I thought a scroll saw would be easier...

Does look rather good, but I can see that th grip will look better painted black, in contrast to all that shiney metalwork. For the scope, I would suggest some tall mounts that can be had cheaply, in combination with with a raised mounting area on the receiver. Merry crimbo dude.

All apart again, milled some excess out the middle, the weight was about 200 grams over what it should be, the real steel is 5.9kg, this weighed 6.1 :) quite pleased its that close!

dsr214.JPG

dsr214.JPG

Someone pointed out i'd not taked enough out the hand guard, so there you go, much better!

dsr215.JPG

dsr215.JPG

..and started to drill and tap in strategic locations to hold the whole thing together.

dsr219.JPG

dsr219.JPG

I really must win the lottery so that I can setup a really cool workshop, then I could practice my machining skills and build lots of cool stuff all day long. I would be happy with a lathe, vertical mill, pillar drill, bench grinder and bandsaw... and maybe a blowtorch; Im a pyromaniac you see.

Or I could just pay the Candyman to do it all, keep him out of trouble....

Archived