DSR1 - candyman style

Candyman

Candyman, how do you get all the necesary measurements for your projects? I'm thinking about doing something similar to this and the biggest problem I've run into is that I can't find proper source images and as a result have to eyeball a lot of my measurements. I assume that you just go with your gut and build it the way you think will look right?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Candyman, how do you get all the necesary measurements for your projects? I'm thinking about doing something similar to this and the biggest problem I've run into is that I can't find proper source images and as a result have to eyeball a lot of my measurements. I assume that you just go with your gut and build it the way you think will look right?

build a cheytac m200 and i will love you , be carefull my love is intense :cold::havoc:

Yuri: Yes a lot of it is guess work, Essentially you need to find a side on picture and then find out what the total length of the gun is. Then print the side on pic and scale everything on this one known dimention. So if you print your gun out and you measure the length as 100mm on the paper but you know in real life the gun is 1000mm long then all you need do is measure a part of the gun on the paper and then multiply it by 10 to get its real life size. The only down side is if you measure it slightly wrong your error will be multiplied, so print the image as big as you can.

Hope everyone is with me here :D

build a cheytac m200 and i will love you , be carefull my love is intense :cold::havoc:

Sorry, I don't think it'll be a cheytac :( Because of the caliber you would lose the benefit of using gas M700 internals. It's wiser to pick something that comes in 7.62x51mm. Before I start really planning this I need to get confirmation on what tools I'll have access to. My university has a CNC-machine that has, atleast in the past been accessible to students who belong to a club. I will have to enquire if the club still exist and if I can join (my major is physics, so education wise I've got no business in the engineering faculty). I may already use vertical mill and a lathe, but CNC would make it so much easier.

Then print the side on pic and scale everything on this one known dimention. So if you print your gun out and you measure the length as 100mm on the paper but you know in real life the gun is 1000mm long then all you need do is measure a part of the gun on the paper and then multiply it by 10 to get its real life size. The only down side is if you measure it slightly wrong your error will be multiplied, so print the image as big as you can.

Right, that's what I've been doing too. However, I desided to make a 3D model of the gun so I can get my measurements as close as possible to the real thing. Here's where I'm at now:

sniper.jpg

The one who guesses which gun that is gets a cookie.

kudos on another truly amazing project, candyman.

and that's guesstimating method is essentially the same one i use -- except that i can't print as large as i want so have do do a lot of adjustments on the fly ;)

zT :assassin:

Just print the 1:1 scale pic on a bunch of tiled A4/letter sized sheets of paper and then tape them together. That way, you'll never have to worry about your measurements being off. ;)

Have you ever attempted to skirmish with 'em?

:fear2: What if they got scratched!?!?!? Or mud came near them :(, although on the other hand, I can imagine it being a bit like that scene from the matrix, where neo stops the bullets, the bbs will obviously be in awe of the works of art and will want to hang around to admire them.

Have you ever attempted to skirmish with 'em?

Not yet, I will be going when the weather warms up and im concidering using either the dsr or the alpine, if im sniping I can hide myself away and just plink off a few shots as and when I feel the need! no sense trying to run round with a 7kg, 1 meter long, priceless gun!

One gun in each hand

lol, no way, farrrrr too heavy for that

Just out of curiousity, does that wood handle really hold up under the weight of that gun? It seems like the points of connection with the gun are so thin it'd just snap if not held correctly. An amazing work of art Candyman. If I didn't live so damn far away, I would hit you up for a custom sniper. Damn shipping costs/laws.

The real gun is made from metal and weighs 5.9kg, mine is also made from metal and weighs just a few grams more.

So you think it'd be easier to make it out of polymer? i wouldnt know where to begin! I asume you'd need to make a mould and then use injection mouding only to end up with a cheap looking plastic thing ;)

That wasn't meant to be a criticisim. It just seems to be slightly... over engineered?

The common usage of the term "Synthetic Polymer" is really a referral to a specialized plastic formulated to have specific characteristics made for a particular purpose. "Polymer" manufacturing is only economical when you're making thousands of units. The cost for the molds alone would be very expensive. Making one off pieces in polymer is not very realistic (maybe if it was made out of delrin ~ Polyoxymethylene (POM)).

The most realistic and feasible option for creating a high-end piece the way Candyman has is using metal.

Archived