DSR1 - candyman style

Candyman

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If  you see CM's prior work you will see he is a perfectionist.

more stunning than a 50,000 volt taser to the nuts.... :wide-eyed:

Oh yes, i've followed all his builds and more besides- its just that he puts himself down for tiny little imperfections that wouldnt bother the most fussiest of peolpe normally. Whats the word, self defer... something.

Oh yes, i've followed all his builds and more besides- its just that he puts himself down for tiny little imperfections that wouldnt bother the most fussiest of peolpe normally. Whats the word, self defer... something.

It's not self-deprecation - He's a perfectionist, which is what makes his builds such a pleasure to follow.

Once again Candyman, great work!

Cheers.

I have to strive for 100% all the time, if I didnt kick myslef in the *albatross* on a regular basis I would become lazy and the gun would look "home made" this cannot happen.

Very tricky bit now, shaving the inside of the upper part to fit the bolt action unit in. Trying to align it with the bottom half and also get the mag to fit in the right place. Im still a bit worried about the whole cocking handle dealy fitting/not fitting.

dsr085.JPG

That aside I had to mill a set of grooves out to fit a cage thingy that goes around the magazine so that the trigger at the front of the gun can link to the mechanism at the rear. The black areas are raised.

dsr086.JPG

Cage in place, I made it fairly adjustable so the pull and position of the trigger can be adjusted. Its connected up to the trigger and clears everything, I fitted 3 springs at various places to eliminate any sag or slack in the trigger pull.

dsr087.JPG

With that done I got hold of some mahoosize blocks of metal, cant wait to start hacksawing those up :( they will become the front and back of the lower receiver bit.

dsr088.JPG

Mahoosive block of metal; you aint kiddin either. Look at it this way- its good exercise for building up your arm muscles. I've been helping my sister & boyfriend move house for the last few days and my arms are killing me, but its the closest i've come to working out for over a year so I should be greatful I suppose.... (yeah right).

Not sure what bit you mean, if you mean the holes through it then the side holes were drilled through first then milled to get the shape. The hols front to back I drilled and the curved shape of the thing I milled the rough shape out just to get rid of some metal and then filed it to shape.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/OEM_rider/dsr054.jpg

The parts in black,  Like, how did you make it so it went down, like a U, from a solid piece.  like what did you use.

Im sorry that im realy bad at explaining thing, but stay with me here! haha

he probably used a round ish, or very very small cutting tool, and went very very carefully over the areas. at least, thats how i'd do it...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/OEM_rider/dsr054.jpg

The parts in black,  Like, how did you make it so it went down, like a U, from a solid piece.  like what did you use.

Im sorry that im realy bad at explaining thing, but stay with me here! haha

I seem to recall he said he used sandpaper to carve out the U shape. Once he got the desired shape, he then cut the "vent" holes on the side.

as you should.

This took a while, been working my socks off today!

milled the basic shape

dsr051.JPG

and the middle out as best i could

dsr054.JPG

Before smoothing it off with a file then getting some sand paper on it to get it nice and flat.

dsr055.JPG

the groove in the middle wasnt easy but im happy with it, it wont show anyway

dsr056.JPG

dsr057.JPG

I wrapped some sand paper round an offcut of the tube and then carefully rubbed the length of it till it had taken out enough material...........

I dont mean to be rude.... wait, yes I do- but one or two of you people are total numpties. All it requires is a pair of eyes, a braincell or two, and the ability to read; that would enable you to go back a few pages and see & read exactly how he did it IE: With a mill to get the rough shape, then a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a bar which is worked back & forth to form the curve ion the upper surface of the foregrip. So simple to work these things out if you just put in a little effort..... :rolleyes:

I dont mean to be rude.... wait, yes I do- but one or two of you people are total numpties. All it requires is a pair of eyes, a braincell or two, and the ability to read; that would enable you to go back a few pages and see & read exactly how he did it IE: With a mill to get the rough shape, then a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a bar which is worked back & forth to form the curve ion the upper surface of the foregrip. So simple to work these things out if you just put in a little effort..... :rolleyes:

im sorry I didnt understand fully what he said in that post. and was it really called for that you called me a "numpties" I take offence to that, being from the country of numptia. Please edit your post.

/sarcasm off.

I really should have read it more carefully hahaha

chill out people.

The milling machine lets you cut nice straight lines, then its down to learning how bets to use it. I cut the rough shape out the middle (U shape) then to get a smooth curve I wrapped sandpaper round a tube and ........ well....... rubbed it down. Just a case of looking at the metal and then at the tools you have and working out what to do to achieve the shapes you need. You can either do it or you cant. :)

Might I add that people use special calibrating devices to get the vice straight on the milling machine. If it is even at the slightest angle, you get a funky twist in the fluting unintentionally. The calibrating is done against the solid side of the vice.

Just in case someone was wondering.

-Sale

Some of my pictures will be up and down as we go along, im trying to keep under my bandwidth limit so we dont have a black out again at the end of the month!

Sawing and trimming this to size, its still quite a big lump

dsr089.JPG

milled the edges to the right shape both sides then set about smoothing the sides and angling/curving it, this done almost totally with files, dremel and sandpaper

dsr090.JPG

dsr091.JPG

and a rare shot of me actually working! not that I dont work, i mean normally you dont see it. Maybe we should have a webcam! a candymancam....... maybe not

dsr092.JPG

Archived