There IS a difference!

Connery

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally someone has tryed to sort this out.

Why do some people insist on saying clip when they know it is wrong!

Please, for the love of all things holy, please stop saying clip.

Or invent some sort of airsoft clip.

ah, the old "call it by its real name, daggnammit!!!" "no, its a toy, and I'm not a professional soldier, but an armchair commando" debate.

I call it what I like, mostly because I know it doesn't actually matter, in the grand scheme of things- if I want to call my magazine a clip, or my clip a magazine, I will do so in the sure and certain knowledge that my life, and the life of those around me, will very likely NEVER depend on me getting it "right"

clip is just slang for magazine, in the same way "plonker" is slang for...um...idiot :)

everyone knows what you mean when you say either, so really, honestly, why worry about it?

the wonderful thing about language is that it is amorphous- we can cling onto meanings as much as they like, but they will, with time, slip away from us- fine, if people want to be exact in their terminology, great! but lets not get carried away- it is as much your prerogative to call the damn plastic boxy thing a magazine as its my prerogative to call it a clip if I want to.

there. Everyone happy? Everyone able to slip at night? no more anxiety attacks that the world will end if we call the stock a butt, or a mag a clip, or a bb a round, or a catch a release, or an AK47 an AK, or an m4 an armalite, or a shotgun a boomstick, or any number of of slangy variations that people adopt over time?

good...

now let the flame war commence! I'll just keep this padlock handy for when things get out of hand.

note I'm already saying "when", rather than "if"...

How did I miss this? Sadly Harry's already said it all, but I'll say it again, how much does it matter? Will my gun stop working if I call a mag a clip? I suspect not. Will I have less fun if I call it a clip? Well if someone tries to tell me off foor it, probably yes.

For realism? please. Get the ROF, weight, clip capacity, range, velocity etc. right before you start on minor things like the names of different bits.

Finally someone has tryed to sort this out.

Why do some people insist on saying clip when they know it is wrong!

Because it isn't. And people who insist it is are usually ugly dwarves, with hair growing from every orifice, and have never known the gentle touch of a passionate woman. Those who are taller, less hirsute, and have indulged in the pleasures of the flesh know not to worry about trivialities such as clips.

:zorro:

How did I miss this? Sadly Harry's already said it all, but I'll say it again, how much does it matter? Will my gun stop working if I call a mag a clip? I suspect  not. Will I have less fun if I call it a clip? Well if someone tries to tell me off foor it, probably yes.

For realism? please. Get the ROF, weight, clip capacity, range, velocity etc. right before you start on minor things like the names of different bits.

That right...you just...yep...you've got it...just tuck the barrel into...yep...your shoulder...like that...great...right...now look down the ejection port...yep...great...now...gently squeeeeze the stock...

Archived