Hurricane 553 Holosight

Hispeed1

Good point! :)  Sadly, the "expensive car" as you put it, i.e. the HurricanE in this case, is really not worth it.   :( 

As for not having the budget, I have 4 REAL EOTechs: 2 552s, 1 551, and a 553 on the way.  I have at least 9 guns worth over 1K each, I own communications gear that costs over $700 per setup (I have several), I own a real Eagle CIRAS and I am about to invest in a Systema PTW to name just a few things that most people on a budget would not consider and that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my collection (yes, I'm a bit of a geardo/gearwhore).   And yet, when given the option to spend money on the China EOTech or the HurricanE EOTech, the China EOTech would win hands down each and every time.  There is simply zero  features that the HurricanE replica offers that would substantiate an extra $100 investment.  I mean, do you really mean to tell me, the fact that the HurricanE has a slightly less darkened tint glass, and a slightly nicer finish is worth $100!?!! I'd rather throw in an extra $40 or so and buy a Real EOTech 512 Holo-sight off EBay.

But I really appreciate what you said Star, because you inadvertantly reinforced exactly what I've been trying to say.  Thanks!!! ;)

Yes, I understand now you are driving two Mercedes, one BMW, one Ferrari and suggesting people to buy cheap cars. I believe you can be a great car dealer. No offense but why don't you put your EOTECH on ebay and get four China Clone?

Star, I have no idea what your last few posts were about, but what you are saying is that the Hurricane is better then the China, because of the better finish and lens brightness. However, Uscmcorps is saying that yes the hurricane is better, but its not $100 better (or however much it costs)

Star, I have no idea what your last few posts were about, but what you are saying is that the Hurricane is better then the China, because of the better finish and lens brightness. However, Uscmcorps is saying that yes the hurricane is better, but its not $100 better (or however much it costs)

Well, I just want to say that the China clone is just doing the copy labor work of Hurricane but Hurricane is doing the invention, the value is different. If the cheapest copy product is the best option, who is going to do the invention any more? This world is not only Ferrari but cars from junkyard.

Well, I just want to say that the China clone is just doing the copy labor work of Hurricane but Hurricane is doing the invention, the value is different.  If the cheapest copy product is the best option, who is going to do the invention any more?  This world is not only Ferrari but cars from junkyard.

Well thats a completely different argument, and one that has been discussed in depth, and it has no place in this thread.

Well thats a completely different argument, and one that has been discussed in depth, and it has no place in this thread.

Dude, thank you for injecting a little sanity into this thread! :rolleyes:

As for HurricanE being inventive, star, in this particular circumstance they are neither particularly inventive, nor are they original. HurricanE are acting like they've invented the wheel. Whereas, in truth, they've stolen one company's aesthetic design and adapted already established technological internal workings to fit within that design. That isn't called inventive. And in a court of law, HurricanE would get their *albatross* handed to them. But you know, if they were so confident about their "copyrights", then they should take EOTech and the Chinese Clone Manufacturers to international court. Let me know when to heat up the popcorn for that spectacle.

Why do I have 4 RS EOTech's? Because they're true Holo-sights. Holo-sights IMHO are far superior to RDS. I buy them because I feel they are worth the high added cost. That being said, I am also relatively frugal and I'm not going to just go and throw $100 into the wind. If someone, anyone, asks me if I felt which I would buy on a budget between a real EOTech, a HurricanE knock-off, and a China Clone, I would say that if you had the money go for a real one, if you are on a budget by the China one. The HurricanE is simply not worth double what the China one costs. I have yet to come across a single individual who, when used both of the replicas would disagree with this notion. The only people bitter about it, are those who wasted $100 on the HurricanE version. So I'm guessing either star and the sinner1971 are bitter for wasting their money, or you're a rep from HurricanE, or you just hate clones. I really don't care which you are personally. All I do know is that your arguements are kinda weak.

Personally, I'm never a fan of China clones. As a matter of fact, I don't have a single piece in my collection that is a China Clone. That being said, I'd rather spend money on the China EOTech than get ripped off by HurricanE's EOTech.

I've heard of folks getting their optics shattered by incoming BBs. I'd hate to spend more than $100 bucks for something to have it break that way. That would preclude a real unit for me, and limit what I'd be willing to spend on a clone. I'd agree that the Hurricaine seems to be treading in sensitive price territory....

I was at Tactical Products in Boca Raton last week and they are branding a 552 clone that is a bit brighter than my 551 clone ($89 from Dragon Red) and they say it will be $100 when it hits the market. It seemed brighter than mine and mine also has a slight tilt to the right on the rails, which is really annoying to a closet perfectionist like me. I'm not sure if the TP unit will have an auto shutoff.

I've heard of folks getting their optics shattered by incoming BBs. I'd hate to spend more than $100 bucks for something to have it break that way. That would preclude a real unit for me, and limit what I'd be willing to spend on a clone. I'd agree that the Hurricaine seems to be treading in sensitive price territory....

I've heard of many people protecting their high end optics by placing a piece of plexi glass or lexan in front of the lens. Works wonders apparently!

mine also has a slight tilt to the right on the rails, which is really annoying to a closet perfectionist like me.

As for the slight tilt of the sight, in the RS community they refer to it as canting and it is actually a known issue that was probably copied off the real EOTech sights. According to EOTech, their holosights work perfectly on mil-spec rails. However there is a large outcry amongst the RS community that this is an unacceptable problem. In truth, if your gun is sighted in correctly it will still always shoot true even with the slight cant. :)

I think you misunderstood.

Yeah, i didnt read what you wrote properly sorry about that, too many late night = James being lazy.

I own a heotech, ive seen/used an eotech but tbh i wouldnt buy one the heotech ive got does the same thing. It's not a holo but so what, i dont see what the big fuss is about them, when i used one they didnt seem any different just a bit harder to see/focus on. But each to their own.

But i probably will get one of chinese 553 ones if they release them in flat earth, that is when i get another job :rolleyes:

I own a heotech, ive seen/used an eotech but tbh i wouldnt buy one the heotech ive got does the same thing. It's not a holo but so what, i dont see what the big fuss is about them, when i used one they didnt seem any different just a bit harder to see/focus on. But each to their own.

A real EOTech takes a little getting used to at first because most people are familiar with RDS, not holo-sights. If you're not acquainted with them, then the user may have difficulty focusing on them. The key is to look through the viewfinder and focus on the target, not the reticule. If you focus on the reticule, it will never be in focus. Hence it's a holo-sight because it projects a reticule into 3D space through holography. Another benefit of holography is the fact that no matter where your head/eyeline is relative to the sight, so long as you can see something like 55% of the reticule through the window, it will always be on target. The same does not apply to RDS. But if you like what you have that is really all that matters. :)

Yes, I understand now you are driving two Mercedes, one BMW, one Ferrari and suggesting people to buy cheap cars.  I believe you can be a great car dealer.  No offense but why don't you put your EOTECH on ebay and get four China Clone?

By the way, rereading your post, I do take offense. Insinuating someone would be a great car dealer implies they are trying to mislead others into spending way too much for an over priced POS product that will break down shortly after you take it home. Which, if you re-read your posts is actually what you are trying to do. You're trying to tell everyone that it is more worthwhile to spend an extra $100 on a product that has slightly better tinting and slightly better finish but functions no different than the more appropriately priced competition. I on the other hand am telling people my honest opinion on which product is better for the money. No sir, you are the car salesman here. And not a good one at that as no one is biting at your weak sales pitch. Better luck next time.

• 3 months later...

To: USCMCorps... or anyone else who has experience with this sort of thing:

Has anyone seen what happens to an RS Eotech when hit with a BB? I know distance and fps are always a factor.. but in general. Will it deflect or shatter the glass? I own a RS 551 and havent come across this issue yet, but reading this thread peaks the question: "what if my eotech takkes a BB to the face?!!?!! thats a few hundred bucks down the drain...right?" Maybe a replic IS a better way to go for my next Eotech purchase. Dunno, still deciding.

In the meantime, Do you know where to get this protective plexiglass lens cover?

GG&G sells these face covers.. but they are not see thru.

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=58&parents=38,46

Thanks in advance all.

• 2 weeks later...
To: USCMCorps... or anyone else who has experience with this sort of thing:

Has anyone seen what happens to an RS Eotech when hit with a BB? I know distance and fps are always a factor.. but in general. Will it deflect or shatter the glass? I own a RS 551 and havent come across this issue yet, but reading this thread peaks the question: "what if my eotech takkes a BB to the face?!!?!! thats a few hundred bucks down the drain...right?" Maybe a replic IS a better way to go for my next Eotech purchase. Dunno, still deciding.

In the meantime, Do you know where to get this protective plexiglass lens cover?

GG&G sells these face covers.. but they are not see thru.

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=58&parents=38,46

Thanks in advance all.

Sorry, hadn't seen this post until just now. In answer to your questions:

* Yes, it is possible to shatter the lens. I have never seen it happen personally, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Do I do anything about it? No.

* If given the choice between using a real Eotech with a plexiglass protector, and using a replica, I'd still use the real one.

* I don't know where to buy the plexiglass protectors. If anyone has a line on them please let us know. In the meantime, it's probably not too hard to make one by making a template, buying some plexiglass, and cutting it to shape.

* The face covers that GG&G make are simply to protect the lens when not in use, and can act as a glare shield (although I've never had trouble with glare myself).

In other news (from Airsoft-News.eu), The Tan/FDE version of the 553 has been announced:

Description :*Red & Green Dot Color Changeable. *20 Section Manual Brightness Adjustment. *Auto Brightness Adjustment. *Low Power Indicator. *2 Hours Auto Shutdown. *UV Tempered Lens. *Moist – Resistance, Stronger. *Battery : AAA × 2.(Not included) *QD Locking Lever System. *Multinational Patented. In stock!!

hurricane553tan1712md9.jpg

Not a big fan of the coloring which is really off from a real one. Plus no trademarks.

The color is off-but I'm still going to get it. It beats spending $600+ USD for the real one. I can just paint the battery case part tan...

For you it beats spending 600 dollars on the real one.

For someone that wants a quality optic that can transfer between real steel and airsoft AND offer a REAL holographic reticle, the 600 dollars for the real one is money well spent.

I personally would never buy a fakotech. They offer nothing over a 30 dollar aimpoint clone.

Considering how horrible the coloring of HurricanE FDE 553 is, this is an awesome opportunity for the China cloners to release their version of the 553 with accurate FDE and trades. If they did that, it would KILL the HurricanE FDE 553 market share. Sadly, chances are that the cloners will either not bother to make one in FDE, or if they do, it'll probably be worse than the HurricanE version.

• 2 years later...

Archived