Well, I was just about to buy a KA FAL long version when I saw G&G drop prices drastically on their guns. Who could resist $350 for a wood M14? I placed the order Monday night and received it Thursday. Give credit to Evike for getting it here a lot quicker than I expected. I'll get a few pics next week, since my camera setup requires about 2 hours of work to get pics on here and I have to get some next week anyways.

Anyways, when I saw the postage man walking up to the door with a ginormous box my excitement was pretty uncontainable (is that word?). I snatched the box up from him and sprinted upstairs. Grabbing, unholstering, cutting, and reholstering my knife probably took about 3 seconds. I opened the package and lifted out the HUGE box containing the M14. Opening it up reveals the awesome looking gun, hicap, and all the other basics you'd expect with an AEG. Lifting the M14 out of the box greets you with it's truly massive weight and size. For about a month before this a TM FAMAS was the only AEG I really had contact with. I have a JG AUG and TSD RPK as well, but those are both at my cabin and are rarely used. The transition is like nothing else. I went from be familiar with small, creaky, and plastic to big, solid, and wood/metal. Yeah...it's a bit different.

The externals of this gun are pretty much flawless, save the handguard which I'll get to in a minute. Having handled and fired a real M14 the last 2 weekends I know what it's really like, and the G&G replicates it well. The wood is a dark walnut, which isn't very grainy. I don't know if the real one is walnut, but it's dark and not real grainy, so the G&G one certainly looks right. You always hear that "you can replicate the wood look, but not the feel," and that's very true. The wood isn't smooth like plastic, it has a bit of texture to it that feels real. If it's metal on the real one, it's metal on the G&G, and it all looks excellent. Racking the bolt is AWESOME. If you ever see anyone with a G&G M14, come hell or high water be sure you get the chance to rack that bolt! It locks back, too, so you can get to the hop easily without needing to hold anything. The heatshield/handguard is the only flaw on this gun. It's a flex-y piece of shiny plastic that sticks out as looking like utter poo. Fortunately, you can get a real one from Fulton Armories for around $15, which I currently have coming in the mail. Other than that, I can't find a single flaw on this gun.

As if the externals weren't already enough, performance is even better. The gun comes standard with either a slightly long M120 or slightly short M130. Either way, it fires just around 400 out of the box. I have a 9.6v coming, but for now I only had an 8.4v battery to use. It fits wonderfully in the stock, a great improvement over trying to get a battery in a FAMAS. Flipping the safety off and taking aim, you can see why M14 sights are praised. They have the open, easy-acquiring feeling of an AK, but the precision of an M16. The sights were adjusted perfectly out of the box. Using .25 bbs with no hop on yet, I took aim at a can about 75 feet away. WHIRPOP!----chink! Damn! Even on an 8.4v battery and M125 spring, this gun has as fast of trigger response as a stock JG AUG on lipo. The very first shot nailed the can. WHIRPOP! WHIRPOP! chink-chink! Even with no hop, 3 shots in a row nailed the center of the can right out of the box. I got the hop properly adjusted and set up a tin bucket (about 10" tall by 8" wide) I have at 160 feet. WHIRPOP WHIRPOP WHIRPOP! 3 misses.... The sights were just a little off to the left. A bit of easy adjustment, 5 shots downrange, chink chink chink chink! 4/5 shots at 160 feet! I have never seen any gun before get this kind of accuracy. The hop seems to be absolutely excellent, and the 6.04mm tightbore it comes with standard seems to couple with the great hop and give sniper-esque accuracy. I was getting groupings under 15" at 200 feet with fewer than 200 rounds through the gun, something many snipers have difficulty with.

I have some homework to do now (damn summer reading for school), but let me just say now that this is probably the best gun purchase I have ever made. NOTHING has had better externals or accuracy than this, upgraded or not. If you're in the market for an M14, look no further than this.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G&G is totally different internally than TM. The hop is of a different design (though standard buckings fit, I already put a firefly in), and the gearbox is quite different. The G&G gearbox uses V2/V3 gears, V3 piston guide, standard piston/piston head, V3 Cylinder and a myriad of other standard parts. Non standard parts are the tappet plate. It has metal bushings, 4x7mm and 2x8mm *cut down quote from urpeacekeeper*. I cracked it open today, very good/realistic disassembly I might add, and comparing to my parts bin it appears this is correct. I probably don't need to tell you this, but shimming, lubing, and fit was all excellent out of the box. I've also seen the old version gearbox open, and trust me, they've made it better.

I received an E-mail response from the guy I know up by my cabin with the real and TM M14. I asked him to do some very controlled groupings tests at 100 feet. He said he got 4.4" groupings as his best (3 trials) with 5 .25 bbs and the hop set perfectly, using a bipod and scope in the woods where there's no wind. I just came back inside from doing the same test with an el-cheapo clamp-on bipod and my one size-fits-all scope (it's fit into a sleeve that fits over most guns and stays sturdy). I got 3.8" groupings as my best from 3 trials. I was extremely impressed with both.

Seki: I know you, being a stubborn TM fanboy, will question something in this, so I'll clarify. I have a range I set up in an area of my yard that goes for exactly 100 feet, and the test was done in a completely windless area on semi auto with each shot aimed. If you need further proof, I can scan my target. His are even less questionable. He does plenty of grouping tests with real firearms, and was a sharpshooter in Korea. It was a completely unbiased test.

The bolt doesn't go all the way back? Who cares? Very few airsoft gun bolts go all the way back. It still goes back a good enough length, and locks, and makes a sweet-*albatross* noise. As a serious, non-confrontive non-hostile question, does a TM (I actually don't know)?

Does the G&G come with a tightbore? And yes, the TM does make an awesome bolt noise, and can lock after sanding down a rod that was stupidly molded on to the bolt catch.

Mmm, me want another M14. Maybe I'll camo my TM, and leave the G&G as is. Pity mags aren't compatible.

Can't say I'm familiar with how it was on an old one, but the new one is probably better. The trigger pull isn't great, but it's not really bad either. Can you specify what the problem with the fire selector was on the old one? I'm not sure what bloody slack means.

Oh, okay. It wiggles a bit but it's really not bad. Regardless, it's not like you're going to miss a shot or something because the selector has a bit of play.

Good Review Otherrandomhero, about what I was expecting to hear and on par with what I told you :) There is alot of TM Fanboys out there and I partially blame myself for that (me also being a TM Fanboy still :P) but a little change is always a good thing.

I've figured out a majority of the parts internally.

V2/V3 Gears

V3 Spring Guide

Standard Spring

Standard Piston

Standard Piston head

Short Style Motor

AUG Nozzle

G&G Specific Tappet Plate

Standard Anti Reversal Latch

G&G Specific Cylinder

G&G Specific Cylinder head

Otherrandomhero I'm surprised to hear that your gun chronoed at roughly 400 FPS, was that with .2's or with .25's? My friends came stock chronoing at 410 with .25's.

Again good review!

Update: I now have about 3K rounds through the gun without a single problem. A re-opening of the gearbox showed no signs of wear, which leaves me with high hopes for longer-term reliability. I just realized that I forgot to mention ROF, so I'll say now: it's pretty good. I was getting 700-800 RPM on a fully charged battery. For a 400+ fps w/.25 gun on an 8.4v that's damn impressive. I'm expecting around 900-1000 on the 9.6v when it arrives.

I'd love nothing more, but my parent's ain't lettin' me 'til I'm 18 and they can't do anything about it. I have usable guns I'd like to play with (AUG, RPK, MP7, FAMAS, a few others), but pretty much since my dad saw what airsoft was back in March he's pulled the plug. I plan on arranging a call with Gabe sometime soon, hopefully it'll help. Right now all I can do is collect, but I'm still fightin' the good fight and hopefully I'll be back on the field by summer next year.