NON-PMC Merc Loadouts

TheMerchantOfVenice

You noticed the only guys who used AR15s were the Colonel's guard the rest were using AKs and G3s like the enemy would use.

Yes, but the R5 would probably be easier to find in Africa than AR-15s.

And I'm pretty sure that the rest of the mercs were indigenous personnel.

Also the Mi-24 (known to the NATO world as a Hind) was used extensively to support the ground troops and Dakka Dak is Afrikaans  slang for attack helicopter.

You learn something new everyday. I had figured that it was some sort of local (or Rhodesian- or South African military) slang for an attack helo, didn't know it was Afrikaans.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say the rest of the mercs were SA too. EO recruited almost exclusively from the SADF, this way they could be sure of the same level of training and use Afrikaans as a combat language. Afrikaans is a very difficult language to penetrate so there was no need to use code in radio comms.

Yes, but the R5 would probably be easier to find in Africa than AR-15s.

And I'm pretty sure that the rest of the mercs were indigenous personnel.

You learn something new everyday. I had figured that it was some sort of local (or Rhodesian- or South African military) slang for an attack helo, didn't know it was Afrikaans.

Dak-dak is Rhodesian slang for a DC-3 "Dakota," not an attack helicopter.

Afrikaans is a very difficult language to penetrate so there was no need to use code in radio comms.

Not really. It takes a lot of its vocabulary from English and uses almost completely regular verb conjugation (Ek is, jy is, sy is, ons is, julle is - I am, you are, she is, we are, y'all are). Hearing it spoken can be initially difficult, but no more difficult than hearing native speakers of any other language.

<OT>

A lot of it's pronunciation and part of it's vocabulary have Dutch origins. If you can speak both English and Dutch, Afrikaans is fairly easy to understand, very similar to arcane Dutch with some English.

f.e. ek -> ik, jy -> jij, sij -> zij, julle -> jullie. ons -> wij, but 'ons' in Dutch is the word for 'ours', so still very close.

</OT>

<OT>

A lot of it's pronunciation and part of it's vocabulary have Dutch origins. If you can speak both English and Dutch, Afrikaans is fairly easy to understand, very similar to arcane Dutch with some English.

f.e. ek -> ik, jy -> jij, sij -> zij, julle -> jullie. ons -> wij, but 'ons' in Dutch is the word for 'ours', so still very close.

</OT>

Yeah, I get the impression that if I tried to speak Afrikaans in the Netherlands, I'd sound like the Dutch equivalent of a hillbilly.

Yeah, I get the impression that if I tried to speak Afrikaans in the Netherlands, I'd sound like the Dutch equivalent of a hillbilly.

Not really, they sound quite differently. Actually, quite a few people would probably recognize the Afrikaans. The people not familiar with the language would likely think you are a foreigner with a really bad accent :D

When spoken slowly, I'd wager 90% of Dutch people would understand you for the most part, the remaining 10% will be so deep into their own dialect, they can barely understand (and be understood by) the rest of the country :)

Archived