1938 Grosser Prix von Deutschland pics!

GuzziHero

Odd one this but my Google-fu has failed me.

I am looking for a picture of the podium ceremony from the 1938 German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring. It was won by Richard "######" Seaman (no puns, please!) in a Mercedes-Benz.

Reason Im after it is that my friend is certain that Seaman gave the nazi salute on the podium while I am convinced that he did not. Ive seena pic, but cant find it now.

Any help out there?

Odd one this but my Google-fu has failed me.

I am looking for a picture of the podium ceremony from the 1938 German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring.  It was won by Richard "######" Seaman (no puns, please!) in a Mercedes-Benz.

Reason Im after it is that my friend is certain that Seaman gave the nazi salute on the podium while I am convinced that he did not.  Ive seena pic, but cant find it now.

Any help out there?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0...,782811,00.html

seems to confirm you're mates claim (not once but twice)

What DID it mean?

It was a praise to the leader, most people were still in denial over the Nazis activities (and they weren't in full swing in any sense at that time).

Still, he was a Mercedes driver, wouldn't be a surprise if he thought he was part of the master race, most of them still seem to think they are!

Cheers.

Id agree with that but for the fact that his mother was staunchly against him racing for a German team. And against his marrying a German woman. She knew something was up, so should he.

To be honest now I know that he did give that salute I cant really think of him, or be proud of his achievement, as a British driver :(

To be honest by that stage the info coming out from germany that most folks in the Uk would have been aware of already wasnt all that good.

Id have thought all the more so if you're involved in a german racing team and staying there at times (though I guess as a celebrity you could find yourself living in a bit of a bubble isolated from the realities of the situation).

some of the stuff floating around suggests he was just <cough> waiving to the crowd though that does seem to be putting a bit of a spin on it

They do sticks of rock at the Nurburgring?  Thought that was a British-only thing :D

Is it shaped like the track? ;)

If it is I'll use it to find my way around.

I was just looking at the charges. Apparently they fine you £20-odd for each bit of Armco you damage and then bill you another £30-odd to replace it.

I was wondering, if I asked nicely, they might give me a bit, I could chop it up into ebay-sized chunks, sell it and use the cash to pay for the trip.

No?

Please yourselves. <_<

Depending on how many times you plan to hit it, you could make something of a killing ;)

Unless you hit it with a GHDC (generic hair dressers car) that is. Yknow the type Corsas, Saxos, Clios etc.

Ive always wanted to ride the 'ring, but Im not a fast rider even on the FZR, so Im worried Id be bowled off the track!

Unless you hit it with a GHDC (generic hair dressers car) that is.  Yknow the type Corsas, Saxos, Clios etc.

Ive always wanted to ride the 'ring, but Im not a fast rider even on the FZR, so Im worried Id be bowled off the track!

Well, there are 4 possibilities, each with attached risks.

1) Porsche 911 Turbo. Nutters option. The biggest risk here is that it won't actually make it to the circuit.

2) Yamaha FZR600. Masochists option. Biggest problem here is packing all my junk into a couple of tank bags and getting to the track before the pain in my butt kills me. Also, of course, there's the vastly elevated risk of death associated with high-speed vehicles fitted less than 4 wheels.

3) Toyota MR2. Sensible option. The biggest risk here is that I WILL be mistaken for a hairdresser.

Actually, there's another risk. If I bend the MR2 my missus will tear me a new a**ehole. Also, to be sensible for a minute, there's only marginally more luggage space than the bike.

4) BMW 325 TDS. Boring option. Biggest risk here is that I'll nod off on the circuit.

God help me, I must be getting old. At the moment I am seriously considering going in the Bimmer. I'd love to take the Porka and it'd probably be fine but, I dunno. It's 10 years since it's driven more than 100 miles all at once.

Also, I guess I should admit that there's a good chance I could do a lot of expensive damage at high speed.

The MR2 is probably the best option. It's reliable enough to get there and fast enough to make the trip fun. Also, I could write it off and it'll "only" cost £2K to replace.

The biggest problem there, as I said, is that the missus WILL make my life hell even if it comes back with bird droppings on it.

Which leaves the Bimmer.

FWIW, I bought myself a gizmo that will, apparently, allow me to remap my BMW ECU. The company website has a bunch of maps for the 325 TDS including a 240bhp one or, a bit more sensible, a 185bhp one.

Apparently I just download the map onto my laptop, plug a cable into the cars brain then (crucially) back-up the factory settings then download the new map to the car.

Fastest tractor in the west!

Gotta love technology.

Bloody hell, this has brought back some memories. Took the old GT4 (ST185 - if you're that anal about such things lol) to the 'Ring a long, long time ago. Awesome experience. The real nutters though are the locals in old Mk ii Golf GTI's that have been tuned to god-knows-what BHP. The most dangerous are the retards who think that just because they have a 70K Aston or Maserati it automatically makes them driving gods.

Me, id take the MR2 out of all the options you're listed :)

PS - Dont take a bike unless you have a deathwish. Was 2 riders killed the when we were there :(

I just found the 'ring webcam HERE.

Alas, it's shut now. Earlier on you should have seen the machinery queuing up to get in.

Im starting to think I should take the Porka just so I don't feel too out of place. Seems like that's what everybody else has. :unsure:

*EDIT*

FWIW, I always thought the GT4 was the best Celica. The newer ones look, well, more modern, but there's something sort of definative about the GT4 that makes it THE Celica.

Wait till you get there matey. Then you can see lots of VERY expensive machinery getting humiliated on the lap time front lol

The local boys *really* are the ones to watch, you'll spend a lot of time trying to work out how the hell they get the lap times they're getting in the cars they're driving.

Archived