Access to Sales forums...

I think it might be a good idea to restrict access to the sales forums to people with, say, 50 posts or more.

That'd stop people showing up with the explicit intention of making commercial posts and it'd also stop people signing up specifically to sell things which will reduce the chances of people being able to pull scams.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good idea. Ebay uses a similar system whereas you can buy items from a seller but not allowed to sell items until you've got a certain amount of feedback rating.

Apologies if this is out of place, especially as I think is probably my first post

but isn't it just going to encourage spamming from idiots who want access to the classifieds, I know you'd then find them and ban them, but it may cause more problems

Also, there are plenty of people (like me) who are prefectly reputable and putting a blanket ban is just the same as what the government wanted to do with the VCR bill,

"oh noes, people are being shot, lets ban ALL guns and replicas"

same sort of thing

I may be wrong, I don't know the extent to which you get these problems but that's just what I thought when i saw this

When I click a members name and then click "find members posts" and I see that a member has made 50 posts such as "Cool gun" and "I agree" and "Me too" I think they'll stand out like a sore thumb wen they then commence posting in the sales forum.

Beyond that, I'd suggest that any buyer with half a brain might also think twice about buying from a seller with 51 posts, all of which are spam.

It's true that a dedicated scammer could make 50 decent posts and then gain access to the sales forum but, in most cases, a commercial seller or scammer will just use google to locate airsoft forums and then sign up and begin posting.

If they found that Arnies required 50 posts before they gain access to the sales forums they are likely to just go somewhere else.

how about (and i dont know if this is possible) having the ability to view and post in threads to buy but not to post new topics for selling?

Yep. Fair point. Nothing against newb's buying stuff.

I'm sure Arnies has, in the past, had forums where only mod's could start new threads (picture thread forums or summat?) so I'm sure that's possible.

I think that in order to sell on this forum you must be willing ship out or provide a tracking # within 1 week of receiving the $$ or the mods can take some sort of action (like warning points or whatever)? Unless you have a very good excuse.

I mean why put somthing up for sale. take the $$ then go on vacation for 2 weeks without shipping the item out. It has happened to me so many times and I just hate waiting on other peoples irresponsibilities.

Paying for stuff without Paypal (money orders) is also asking for trouble online imo.

OR

bring back the rep system for Successful/negative transactions only and work with the amount of successful transactions to determine stuff.

Edited by fanta101

I think raising a member's warn points for that would be a bit harsh. It would be better to leave a comment in the good / bad sellers threads reflecting the long time it took for the goods to be shipped, in the absence of any forum software which allowed for detailed feedback.

I think that in order to sell on this forum you must be willing ship out or provide a tracking # within 1 week of receiving the $$ or the mods can take some sort of action (like warning points or whatever)? Unless you have a very good excuse.

I mean why put somthing up for sale. take the $$ then go on vacation for 2 weeks without shipping the item out. It has happened to me so many times and I just hate waiting on other peoples irresponsibilities.

Paying for stuff without Paypal (money orders) is also asking for trouble online imo.

Warn points unfortunately are not redeemable in real life, and so anyone who wants to run off with your money won't be too bothered about them...Also, I see no issue if you are told about the Vacation, and as for a tracking number, say I sell you an AEG for £120 shipped, you want a tracking number, and shipping ASAP, so I ask for another £10 to cover the inconvinience of boxing up late at night and going to town in the morning, and getting better shipping, you then whinge at me for not telling you about the extra cost and don't buy the gun. Neither of us are happy, except for me when I sell my gun two days later to someone who isn't that picky...

Not wanting to be an *albartroth*, just making a point that you can't have your cake and eat it, if you want perfect service, you need to pay more, and also need to accept that someone buying a gun may not convince me to cancel my holiday in order to ship it within a week, if you wanted it bad enough you'd wait, blah blah...Still, sellers should tell people about it before it happens...

As for a restriction on sales threads? Good idea, I am personally skeptical about trading with people under 100 posts, who don't have avatars or sigs, but that's my thing, if I'm trading (gun for gun) with them, they get a phone call to confirm address and stuff over the phone before anything happens...

Warn points unfortunately are not redeemable in real life, and so anyone who wants to run off with your money won't be too bothered about them...Also, I see no issue if you are told about the Vacation, and as for a tracking number, say I sell you an AEG for £120 shipped, you want a tracking number, and shipping ASAP, so I ask for another £10 to cover the inconvinience of boxing up late at night and going to town in the morning, and getting better shipping, you then whinge at me for not telling you about the extra cost and don't buy the gun. Neither of us are happy, except for me when I sell my gun two days later to someone who isn't that picky...

Not wanting to be an *albartroth*, just making a point that you can't have your cake and eat it, if you want perfect service, you need to pay more, and also need to accept that someone buying a gun may not convince me to cancel my holiday in order to ship it within a week, if you wanted it bad enough you'd wait, blah blah...Still, sellers should tell people about it before it happens...

As for a restriction on sales threads? Good idea, I am personally skeptical about trading with people under 100 posts, who don't have avatars or sigs, but that's my thing, if I'm trading (gun for gun) with them, they get a phone call to confirm address and stuff over the phone before anything happens...

I am just saying I have bought items before and after they receive the $$ they go AWOL for like 2 weeks before responding. As far as I know they could just be taking my $$ and running since I have no indication. If I put something up for sale today and then somone buys, and pays for the item I will let them know what the situation is. But I mean If I had known they would go AWOL I would NEVER have spent $$ on it since I could get somthing else without waiting 2 months. I sent my AEG (the next day) away in July for a trade and was promised the same. It is now september and no AEG or anything else. I asked for the deal to be off about a week and a half ago and I am still here. The person went on vacation and gave me no indications/information. now... is that fair? I have been without a rifle for a month and a half now. Had i known, i'd have kept my gun.

That is just one situation. I have seen other people get the same thing (in the bad sellers section) I just cannot understand why somone wouldn't send somthing somone else paid for out in a timely (unless otherwise indicated.) fashion. It is just rude/unprofessional.

Like I said, I make an effort to send somthing out asap or else I begin to worry

Edited by fanta101
I think it might be a good idea to restrict access to the sales forums to people with, say, 50 posts or more.

That'd stop people showing up with the explicit intention of making commercial posts and it'd also stop people signing up specifically to sell things which will reduce the chances of people being able to pull scams.

I disagree with restricting sales by post count. I don't quite see what the problem would be with some one signing up specifically to sell or buy things. I can understand the problem with some people signing up to scam some one (although I've not looked, I haven't seen something like that), but i don't think that the honest traders with low post counts should have to suffer because of that.

To be honest, I don't think that there is too much more risk of a trader with 20 posts being "naughty" (for lack of a better term, it is late now after all) than a trader with 500 posts that no one's ever dealt with.

It would be nice for the rep system to make a return, though. It's a little bit more convenient than looking through the good/bad threads. What happened to it before? I remember Arnie left it for a while then it disappeared.

I don't think warning points are going to worry a scammer.

A lot of these guys show up claiming to be having a "getting out of airsoft sale", post dozens of items up for sale and, by the time people start to post to say their items haven't arrived, the scammer has netted £1000s!

It's true that some people might legitimately sign up specifically to sell things but, well, so what?

What's the problem?

They go somewhere else and the item gets sold. No problem.

OK, so an Arnies member will have less chance of buying that item but, big shock, there are ALREADY airsoft items being sold in places besides Arnies forums.

The rep system has gone. Because it was misused by morons. It occurs to me that, instead, people SHOULD be looking at a sellers previous posts to get some kind of an idea of what that person is like.

Try it now. Click my name to bring up my profile then click "Find Members Posts".

If is says a member has 300 posts and 280 of them are in the sales forums that might tell you something about why the user is an Arnies member.

If a user has 5,000 posts and they're mostly sensible, helpful ones then, when that user offers an item up for sale, you might deduce that it is a genuinely unwanted item.

It just seems, to me, that anybody who is the least bit interested in joining Arnies will have no problem gaining 50 posts AND 50 posts will be enough that anybody who checks can see what sort of posting habits the person has.

As I said, I think it would be pretty easy to spot somebody who'd deliberately spammed their way to 50 posts and then, if they offered an item for sale, that might help you decide whether to buy from them or not.

Rep system should be implemented for good/bad transactions only, and not because someone "disagrees" with another persons post.

I don't know if it is possible but the mods could make it so that you can +/- someone from a thread/post in the sales forum only and not in offtopic/humor/whatever.

That's what it was changed to before it was scrapped altogether. It was still removed completely, and I'm guessing there was a good reason for doing so.

:zorro:

Indeed.

Mostly because the same cliques of circle-jerkers that continually gave each other + rep's and ganged together to give people - reps simply started giving each other lots of reps for sales that didn't actually exist.

i think you should make it like ASF

where psts in the BST, and off topic sections do not count

then that stops people from saying things like "LOL" and getting their post count up 1

They don't count on this Forum either last I checked

And I agree with ORH, The rep system is very effective if it is only restricted to good/bad transactions. Thats how Ebay operates.

Frankly, I think the rep system worked really well when it was restricted to the sales threads.

I think you have this forum confused with another.

Here the rep system was never restricted to sales threads. It was implimented with the intention of being for that sole purpose, but became so horrendously abused ('+1 for being funneh!' '-1 because I'm incapable of behaving like an adult and disagreeing with you in a mature and discussable fashion!' ) that it was impossible to police and thus pulled.

Also, Fantas is correct. Off-topic, Humour and several other forum sections do not boost your post-count. That is why several of the odder members who appear to have joined purely to participate on offtopic / humour sections (rather than airsoft, which seems a little bizarre) and yet posted innumerable times have an official post count of '1' or '5', etc.

Just to reitterate, I KNOW FOR A FACT that, in the brief period where the re-vamped rep system was used for sales-only, all that happened was that a bunch of (american, mostly) kids repped each other up the wazzoo to give each other huge rep for fake sales.

"Internetz am seereus biznis" etc.

Having a big number next to your avatar on an internet forum makes you a big man, donchaknow. :rolleyes: