Why I wear armor....

Icemaster109

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, armor is also for those who like to be uber-authentic.

Depends on the job doesnt it if you're going to be 'authentic'.

Most airsfot games represnet special forces and recce type missions.

You quite often leave your armour behind for that sort of thing.

Put it this way most armur isnt going to stop a rifle round, its designed to stop shell fragments and sub velocity fragments thrown up by an explosion.*

Unless you're in a static positon, expecting shelling or in vheicles its alot of weight that quite frankly *isnt* going to save your life in a firefight most the time.

If you need speed and stealth its often left behind.

* granted the six inch by six inch plate will but thats a very small part of your body when a 7.62 will kill you wiht a round to a limb.

When I wear armour its just cos it looks cool or finishes off the look I'm going for.

I've got paca replica for PMC stuff

PT replica for BHD delta stuff

MK.1/M69 for S.T.A.R.S. kit

FSBE for USMC stuff or just when I want someting which carries my gear easily.

I've gone off armour for the time being tho and gone back to the good old alice webbing.

i dont bother with armour for alot of reasons

cost, sorry im not forking out £££ for something i dont realy need

loadout, i dot make aset one so there is no point

hits. not wanting to be nasty but alot of players in the bigger armour packages seem to not feel hits even at pointblank range due to the extra padding., ands i dont want to be lumbered in witht he same group.

case popint at tmm3 at point blanck (3 feet from the muzzel) and the guy didnt feel any of the 3 hits.

weight. sorry i have bad kneesim not carrying m,roe mass than i need to when gaming

and ultimatly i do this for fun im not a geardo i just wear what works for me

I like to use replica SAPI plates in either my hard plate carrier or weesatch, because it just makes the carrier feel more like it should, it stops it from sagging under the weight of filled up pouches wich in turn makes the carrier feel uncomfortable.

And while it's true that it takes the sting out of hits upclose, but it certainly isnt the main reason i use them, it's just a bonus :)

I voted that I operate best in it. Sure, it's an extra 12 pounds, and makes my sweat, ALOT. But whenever I move, the vest moves air around my entire sweat drenched torso, and cools me off instantly. It also makes me feel more like an actual soldier, as lame as that is. I also like the protection bit, as there is the occasional close range mishap.

-Sh0ty

No armor as am running a brit load out, a smock is warm enough when its 95 and 105% humid out, no need to add a insulated vest to it all.

When I did have a German load out I wore the armor for one event, and ditched it due to the de hydration issue it generated. granted I will wear armor when there are rules that make it worth it, however these are few and far between.

KM

i wear it for my style of playing ...

atm my team only has 1 style of play ... rushing ... and its not funny when your playing cqb and you rush 10 guys in a room with there guns pointed at the door ... most of the time it ends up with me getting hit afew 100 times ..

i also think it looks cool :P coz iz the only person with multicam body armor at my local site :D

On a similar note, Im still waiting for someone to take up my offer of seeing me skirmish as a Spartan. All I need is for someone to send me a plastic Spartan helmet and some red material to use as a cape. I will supply the loincloth, and the photos of all my bleeding flesh wounds after I wear it all in CQB.

PM me if interested ;)

Ask Carrion or Gadge for a physical decription of me to get an idea of how humorous/tragic/funny and sickening the image of me running round topless with an airsoft gun would be :D

I brought some armour a couple of years ago, more for looks than protection, but it was a complete waste of money for me. I found it too hot and uncomfortable so stopped wearing it after a couple of games.

I came to airsoft from paintball and, quite frankly, you could run around naked in airsoft and it'd still hurt less than a paintball - it's not a gungo macho thing, I just don't find BBs hurt all that much. I guess different people have different levels of "natural padding" and differing tollerances but I've only ever had a few that have really strung or did any kind of injury and they were all from hot guns or people getting over-excited and shooting from close-range, but most sites (and players!) are much more sensible these days.

It also seems to cause more arguments about hits than anything else. I dont enjoy pain but I prefer to play fair and want to know if I've been hit. I found with armour people were having to tell me about hits I'd not felt.

I've nothing against armour and if people want to wear it, either for protection or for milsim, that's cool with me, but it's not my thing.

Depends on the job doesnt it if you're going to be 'authentic'.

Most airsfot games represnet special forces and recce type missions.

You quite often leave your armour behind for that sort of thing.

Put it this way most armur isnt going to stop a rifle round, its designed to stop shell fragments and sub velocity fragments thrown up by an explosion.*

Unless you're in a static positon, expecting shelling or in vheicles its alot of weight that quite frankly *isnt* going to save your life in a firefight most the time.

If you need speed and stealth its often left behind.

* granted the six inch by six inch plate will but thats a very small part of your body when a 7.62 will kill you wiht a round to a limb.

:waggle: Ehhh. The types of scenarios that occur in airsoft would usually grant armor. Going without armour ("going white") would only be used in two scenarios. 1: Very low intensity conflict 2: In garrison/training. However if a mission IS to make contact or contact is expected (airsoft revolves around contact, we dont work to train local militias) armor is going on. In iraq, its standard to load up when you DONT expect contact.

Secondly armor saves lives! It can stop shrapnel (soft armor) and small arms fire. Even stop 12 guage and shotgun slugs. I enclosed a link so you guys can check it out http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm

Now plates...they stop rifle rounds. Well at least three. Thats what they are "supposed" to stop by military standards. From the most part they do. Usually one shot is all you need to know your in a bad situation.

As for being in a static postion. This is probably the only place you would even think about considering to take OFF your body armor. However, like in any war. You load up to go out and fight. The government would not invest in armor for soldiers if they knew it didnt work. In fact today's military armor IS created to to fight in. A bomb disposal suit is created to dispose of a bomb. However today's body armor is made to carry second line gear (fighting equipment), for firefights. Saying that body armor wont save your life in a firefight most of the time is.....well; think about it ;) . Albiet you CAN die from getting shot in the arm/leg by a 7.62 it isnt as bad as getting shot elsewhere. The number one killer is not immediate death, but lack of immediate response. Trauma injuries are critical to respond to in a warzone, the first few seconds determine what road your going to take. Thanks to torniquets, quickclot, and hemostatic agents ballistic wounds are warzone treatable. However there are not tourniquets or quickclot agents that can be applied when a round hits direct in the heart, lungs, liver, spine. However people can live without a limb; sad but true.

As for speed and stealth. You do make a point. Snipers and body armor arent usually best friends. While jumping walls, debussing from vehicles, and crawling through corridors arent ANYONES best friend while wearing armor. However there are pro's in real deal armor. You increase your chances of living, and thats generally fun. It also helps that it is intergrated into being a fighting platform, provides an extra layer between you and whatever hazard (nails, glass, ash, rocks).

Now I am not saying any of this is appliable to airsoft. I am just making sure we dont confuse reality first.

Personally I voted that I perform best in it. Thats just me; train the way you fight and fight the way you train.

Archived