China's Army Hacked Pentagon Network

sekiryu

Except the PLA would hack your GPS and reroute your bombers to the Pentagon.

Because in China, we actually study geography.

But you're not in China. You're in Hong Kong.

And the Chinese don't need to study geography, because they are far superior to the Western barbarians and rule all under heaven.

Hmm... I'm beginning to wonder if there is any nation on earth that does not have some sort of global, imperialist agenda built into its very foundations....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Does a little dance*

That's pretty Amazing, i'd like to see America computer software firms develop some sort of anti- PLA hacking software, that would be a laugh.

The only thing a hacker has going for in modern warfare, is the ability to quite literally, break a chain of command down, and render it useless.

It is quite usefull in a nuclear war type scenario, president gives the launch code from the football (Look up Nuclear Breifcase), Chinese PLA divisions, hack into the frame and BAM, cancel an order and initiate a counter-strike.

Of course, not forgetting it's quite possible they could shut down America's missile defences.

Of course, not forgetting it's quite possible they could shut down America's missile defences.

Based on what evidence?

All we believe we know (from the somewhat...fickle media) is that they got into some unclassified messages.

That's along way from rendering missile defences useless (not that they are very helpful anyway).

Evidence (or at least a theory) on my above statement (since I'm asking for evidence I might aswell give some of my own :P)

for all the people who have used the good old "of course america have never done that LOL IM SO ORIGINALZZZ" line.

I dont hear america deny it in that article? Everyone knows they do it, the chinese media are probs reporting on it now. Their objective is to make the 'enemy' look bad, dosent mater what they do, just as long as people only bother with china. 10/10 for effort. Its how world politics works.

every nation does it, they only report it beacuse it makes the nations citizens concerned and give them a feeling on pride and subsequently back their governemnt more than they did before they read the article. kthnxbaigayz.

*Does a little dance*

That's pretty Amazing, i'd like to see America computer software firms develop some sort of anti- PLA hacking software, that would be a laugh.

The only thing a hacker has going for in modern warfare, is the ability to quite literally, break a chain of command down, and render it useless.

It is quite usefull in a nuclear war type scenario, president gives the launch code from the football (Look up Nuclear Breifcase), Chinese PLA divisions, hack into the frame and BAM, cancel an order and initiate a counter-strike.

you'd have to be senile to think that the missile defenses in the US and other defense-thingies such as nuclear launch commands are connected to the internet.

on the other hand, if they are connected to the internet, then god help us. god help us all ;)

I seriously doubt anyone, PLA or not, could get onto any US systems that matter. With cool stuff like optical wires (impossible to hack undetected) and God knows what else working in the Pentagon I think we are pretty safe.

I mean the U.S. IS the elitist geardo capital of the world.

I think this was just a matter of the PLA having too much time on their hands and getting bored, and deciding to start some trouble. :P

*spellings*

I seriously doubt anyone, PLA or not, could get onto any US systems that matter. With cool stuff like optical wires (impossible to hack undetected) and God knows what else working in the Pentagon I think we are pretty safe.

I mean the U.S. IS the elitist geardo capital of the world.

I think this was just a matter of the PLA having too much time on their hands and getting bored, and deciding to start some trouble.  :P

*spellings*

Or they're looking for information?

As for Optical cables being unhackable, where'd you hear that from?

I wouldn't worry, it won't be long before the PLA start uncovering some pretty good information to share with the world.

;)

you'd have to be senile to think that the missile defenses in the US and other defense-thingies such as nuclear launch commands are connected to the internet.

on the other hand, if they are connected to the internet, then god help us. god help us all ;)

There connected via means of advanced networked communications, can be quite easy to hack, once the PLA source the root of it all.

All connected to a central hub in the country that is protected by various means of security.

C'mon you should known that by now.  ;)

Multiple personalities much?

I think it's fairly obvious what "networked" means, I meant what does "advanced network communications" mean when it's at home.

They're on a internal WAN would be a more specific way of putting it (if you're going to try and sound technical) and there may be an external connection to the Web attached to it somewhere, but any park of the local network would be blocking any incoming connections. There's no "simple" way to "hack" into it, it's like trying to break through a concrete wall with a toothpick, just doesn't happen.

Saying that though, systems related to anything nuclear missile-esque will simply not have an external connection to the Web.

Multiple personalities much?

I think it's fairly obvious what "networked" means, I meant what does "advanced network communications" mean when it's at home.

They're on a internal WAN would be a more specific way of putting it (if you're going to try and sound technical) and there may be an external connection to the Web attached to it somewhere, but any park of the local network would be blocking any incoming connections. There's no "simple" way to "hack" into it, it's like trying to break through a concrete wall with a toothpick, just doesn't happen.

I wasn't trying to sound technical.

But agree'd, WAN is what i would of said.

Any system can be cracked, hell NASA's system was cracked by some punk in America, if one person can crack NASA's entire computer system, it wouldn't take much for the PLA's hacking division to crack open America's defence system.

Well a WAN isn't an "advanced networked communcations". So what does that mean? NAT? Port blocking? Authentication?

I imagine just poorly managed security on a non-essential system for end users or someone actually provided them a way of getting in, which is why you don't put any information that could lead to your own annihilation as a company/organisation on the same network as end users.

All important data will be sent between sites on something akin to a leased line which will be terminated at both ends. That's it.

Well a WAN isn't an "advanced networked communcations". So what does that mean? NAT? Port blocking? Authentication?

I imagine just poorly managed security on a non-essential system for end users or someone actually provided them a way of getting in, which is why you don't put any information that could lead to your own annihilation as a company/organisation on the same network as end users.

All important data will be sent between sites on something akin to a leased line which will be terminated at both ends. That's it.

Could mean a number of things:

A Network specially set up for this sort of thing, using rapid communications, or a specially set up net, in which nothing from the outside can get in, unless the system is put on a back up network should the primary one go down.

Defence systems, are usually connected by WAN, the downside is, that it sometimes needs a host port, and that host connected somewhere else, which at times can make it vunerable to such attacks.

As for the line being terminated at both ends, that could possibly be a danger as well, as each transmission sent the line is cut, so during a full scale exchange, transmissions are constantly sent, which makes that plan flawed, as hundreds of transmissions are needed to be sent in a matter of minutes (Co-ordinated attack/defence patterns).

Sending information like that, is quite literally the most ###### up idea i've heard, it clearly ask's for trouble, and at the rate the US is going, with their pentagon being hacked (Albeit it was on an unsecured sector), it makes you wonder if they're "testing the water" so to speak, with there security patterns.

It seems to be me as if some people are still not getting this very easy concept:

America's nuclear arsenal is coordinated on a closed network. It isn't connected to the internet. Hence, it would be impossible for hackers from China to get into it. It doesn't matter how secure or unsecure the network itself is, its simply physically impossible to hack into a network over the internet, if that network is not connected to the internet.

Archived