Marushin FN 5-7 6mm

PenGun

Just stripped down my brand spanking new 5-7 (as you do) and I almost had a heart attack when I noticed a second(?) hop-up unit about 3/4 of the way along the barrel.

What is this mysterious LD-2 part?

I think its responsible for my 5-7 putting three BBs into one tiny hole at 5 yards and then sending the next two fly way off...most inconsiderate! :o

I also notice from the manual that the 8mm barrel has a kink in it! I can only assume that this is a precaution against anyone being stupid enough to fire real ammo from the gun or some sort of power-reducing constriction.

Anyone know why Marushin do this? I've never encountered it in any other GBB, ever!

Apart from that the 5-7 is an interesting gun. It seems decently powerful and its true-to-life light weight makes the blowback feel pretty impressive.

Its actually very pleasant to carry and hold. Pointability is also excellent: it would make a good choice for those who find it hard to keep a chunky metal GBB on target.

There aren't many things to "play with" on the gun, and Marushin have missed some touches like colouring the sight dots and internal cocking indicator for easy visibility.

If they went to the effort of putting BLUE :o crayon in the FN HERSTAL BELGUIM and cal 5.7x28mm, they could have chucked some onto the sights too.

Trigger is good, being very clean but with some creep and a bit of overtravel (still miles ahead of Marui's bland gritty triggers).

Its single-action only and there is no decocker, so the trigger finger operated (there is no noisy "click") safety lever comes in handy (this is meant to be the USG model...)

The pistol grip is quite comfortable once you get accustomed to it but the backstrap feels too flat and slippery to me

so I put a Hogue HandAll on it to grippy things up a bit :P

Sights are clear and easy to pick up.

The rear is an adjustable metal unit and the front is a tall plastic post (eeeekkk...I can see this getting knocked off someday).

The outer barrel features a little o-ring to improve lock-up consistency.

The mag takes 18 rounds in 6mm format, which is pretty low considering the magazine is bigger than a DE .50 mag.

Chances are you'll run out of BBs long before you run out of 134a ;)

Irritatingly Marushin have made an error with the accessory rail: it consists of 4.5 lugs with 5.5mm spacing, which is just off the

Picatinny standard of 5mm rail, 5mm spacing. Attachments move back and forward a bit but remain centered.

The gun is obviously plastic, not TM shiny-plastic, more of a coarse matte black.

Amusingly it looks pretty close to the real deal...the Five-seveN does look and weigh like an airsoft gun :D

It could probably do with a slightly stronger recoil spring and threaded barrel...if any aftermarket parts ever actually hit the shops :huh:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This does not sound particularly good, I'm afraid.

Will wait for TM.

I can't help feeling you'd have said that even if he said it could blind an ant at 500 yards :D

I thought it sounded quite decent actually, from the comments, although I'd like to see some detailed photos, too, please.

The LD2 is a hop-up (does it have a standard one, too?) and I've seen some Japanese reviews suggesting it is, indeed, highly erratic. Some people seem to take it out (and get more power when they do, as well as more consistent accuracy).

Cheers.

I can't help feeling you'd have said that even if he said it could blind an ant at 500 yards :D

I thought it sounded quite decent actually, from the comments, although I'd like to see some detailed photos, too, please.

The LD2 is a hop-up (does it have a standard one, too?) and I've seen some Japanese reviews suggesting it is, indeed, highly erratic. Some people seem to take it out (and get more power when they do, as well as more consistent accuracy).

Cheers.

I actually had high hopes - I love the 5-7 cos it's so ugly!

But from what PenGun said:

1) Second hop up makes accuracy ######.

2) BLUE TRADES AAAAAAARGH THE GOGGLES THEY DO NOTHING

3) 18 rounds??!??!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??! With the huge mags? Less than the REAL ONE.

4) Tall plastic front sight. Plastic pistol sights are always a problem for me.

I'm about to do something I don't usually approve of. A bit of wild speculation.

Is the hop-up at the back end of the barrel actually a hop-up?

Instead, is it just a rubber collar to hold the BB in the breech and provide an air-seal for the nozzle?

Thus leaving the "2nd" hop-up to actually supply any backspin to the BB.

Just a thought. I haven't even seen pictures of what this looks like yet.

I suspect you're right.

All guns, with or without hop-up have a rubber breech to hold BBs in place (well all the ones I can think of, except one or two NBBs where the bb is fired out of the top of the mag), so I suspect the ONLY hop-up is the LD-2 half way down the barrel.

Cheers.

This site looks at the effectiveness of LD-2

http://gungineer.cande.biz/airgun/blow/Air...shin_p210-6.htm

It's in Japanese, but Alta Vista's Babelfish translates it pretty well.

Basically, LD-2 sprays BBs all over the place, the second set of targets are with it removed....

Yep, the "regular" hop-up is definitely adjustable, and the LD-2 provides additional spin at a fixed setting.

The kink in the barrel of the 8 mm version is also to produce additional backspin. A suitable curving barrel should provide a backspin to the BB.

-Sale

Yep, the "regular" hop-up is definitely adjustable, and the LD-2 provides additional spin at a fixed setting.

The kink in the barrel of the 8 mm version is also to produce additional backspin. A suitable curving barrel should provide a backspin to the BB.

-Sale

@snowman, there are two grub screws in the chamber assembly...one keeps the barrel in place and the other goes to the top of the hop-up.

I think it actually IS a hop unit, not simply a BB retention device. I'll check it again later and photo it.

I initially thought the LD2 might be something added to satisfy Japanese regulations, (allowing reliable blowback in cold weather etc.) but reducing muzzle energy, much like the infamous Marui velocity reducers.

Its almost worth emailing them about, but I can't understand Engrish at all. If the box is anything to go by, I'd get complete jibberish back: super-suprise blowback!

I will post pictures ASAP. Stupid camera settings are all screwed up so the first lot were blurry.

The Five-Seven isn't a bad gun really. Its definitely odd, but in a "grows-on-you" way.

There are a few things that I would like to alter but its probably the first GBB in a long time that I haven't been almost immediately disappointed with out of the box.

Looking at the real 5-7 makes me wonder if the Marushin effort looks more realistic than the real steel. There really isn't that much difference apart from the ever so slightly shinier plastic and rather clever "MI" crest instead of "FN".

A solid non-LD2 barrel would be more reassuring and might up the power even more.

Accuracy is very good when that stupid second hop-up doesnt make the BBs go off in crazy directions.

Its light, but most of my GBBs are metal so I have nothing to compare it to (like a Glock...yet) but then again the real deal is only 600g unloaded.

I'd also love a threaded barrel, but thats more for my Splinter Cell fetish more than anything.

Performance is generally quite impressive for a 134a gun IME.

Internal quality is very impressive: no ugly lumps of pot metal to be found :)

For those you'll have to wait for the Tokyo Marui version.

When its released in about 10 years time ;)

is the slide reinforced with a steel plate/framework on the inside? or just solid ABS?

I'll ask again. . please answer.

This may determine if there will be a partially metal reinforced slide by aftermarket manufacturers. .

The real slide is a metal skeleton overmolded with a polymer skin.

I'll ask again. . please answer.

This may determine if there will be a partially metal reinforced slide by aftermarket manufacturers. .

The real slide is a metal skeleton overmolded with a polymer skin.

I think its plastic...I missed the earlier question, sorry! I don't have to hand at the moment os I can't check (in work).

I actually had high hopes - I love the 5-7 cos it's so ugly!

But from what PenGun said:

1) Second hop up makes accuracy ######.

2) BLUE TRADES AAAAAAARGH THE GOGGLES THEY DO NOTHING

3) 18 rounds??!??!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??! With the huge mags? Less than the REAL ONE.

4) Tall plastic front sight. Plastic pistol sights are always a problem for me.

That is my conclusion too, and also the non-standard rail. Why do Marushin DO these things? I guess they just love to *fruitcage* *beep* up. :blink:

Mr Marushin woke up this morning, and decided to make a pistol that no-one else makes. Good Old Mr Marushin.

I bet he'll make sure it's made well, with an emphasis on realism or skirmishability, without making several glaring errors such as placing a superfluous second hop-up halfway along the barrel for seemingly no reason whatsoever, or highlighting the trademarks in a horrifically unrealistic fashion with blue crayon, or making the mag hold a stupidly little amount of rounds, or make the sights, parts which traditionally tend to be subject to much wear and tear, out of plastic.

What a nice old man.

Except Mr Marushin isn't a nice old man. He's a W**KER.

There is no other explanation.

Or maybe he's worried about violating a Japanese patent on hop-up or maybe he's keen to make the 8mm the preferred choice to encourage sales of 8mm BBs or maybe he's got a budget a fraction the size of TMs, so can't afford to develop a new gun to the exacting demands of Hong Kong, US and UK SKIRMISHERS, who clearly aren't the market he wants to sell to anyway....

Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters here actually live in the real world at all.... :blink:

Cheers.

TBH, I have a soft spot for Marushin guns.

Quirky, yes.

They are definately nicely crafted and high quality though.

Besides, if I was that desperate to own a 5-7 (which I almost am) I'm sure I'd make any effort required to sort it out.

I only hope that the TM one turns out to be an AEP rather than a GBB. I'm getting quite fond of my AEPs for skirmishing these days.

I bet that made Snowmans stomach turn. :P

FWIW, I'm not sure the 5-7 could work as an AEP. The dust cover isn't chunky enough to fit a battery.

Or maybe he's worried about violating a Japanese patent on hop-up or maybe he's keen to make the 8mm the preferred choice to encourage sales of 8mm BBs or maybe he's got a budget a fraction the size of TMs, so can't afford to develop a new gun to the exacting demands of Hong Kong, US and UK SKIRMISHERS, who clearly aren't the market he wants to sell to anyway....

Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters here actually live in the real world at all.... :blink:

Cheers.

So, what you're saying is we shouldn't bash Marushin for making a ###### gun, because he's just a paranoid, penniless old geezer who's merely trying to force his ludicrous 8mm products down our throats? And besides we should only buy his guns if we only intend to hang them on the wall, in a nice clean home, in a quiet neighborhood, within the borders of Japan? And also we're insane?

Thanks for setting this thread straight! :lol:

No, I'm saying bleating on on about it on a forum doesn't do any good.

Also, I'm not sure there really IS a Mr Marushin who sits in his office planning on making people on Arnie's Airsoft Forum miserable.... :blink:

I have no insight into people's sanity, sadly... ;)

If you don't like it, don't buy it...

Cheers.

Archived