The worst parts of airsoft

nine

I went to a CQB course yesterday, that i had been going to for about two years...

Like usual most of the players were dressed in full Camo with heavy vests and helmets, carrying lots of expensive guns. i was dressed in a sweatshirt and shorts with a plain TM 1911. When in the staging area i was picked last almost everytime, even though i was just as active as my fellow, amour-wearing teamates. I was also called a noob on many occasions. being treated like some idiotic "newbie" everytime i go there is kinda annoying, but understandable. the other problem with the full amoured players is that whenever i got a shot from normal 10ft-30ft range, they couldnt feel it because of their thick amour, resulting in me getting mad and runing up to them, ussally point-blank and firing a clip into them. Which didnt make me alot of friends...

It is understandable to pick people who look more serious/ have better guns.

however i dont think wearing hefty amour and being totally oblivious when you get hit, is ok. I think i will skip going to the course next time, and go with my friends

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no matter how much armour u have on, you can always, and i mean ALWAYS hear the hit. dont go saying "oh but what if ur firing your gun, it makes noise" because you CAN still hear the hit. anyone who says differently needs their ears tested.

are there marshals at this place? if so, tell them to follow you around for a bit so they can see that you are hitting people and they just arent taking it. also, dont go firing hole mags (not clips) into them from point blank, just do one on an exposed area of skin and say " next time, take your hits". or better yet, dont shoot them, just tap them on the shoulder and ask them why they refused to take the hit and tell them that next time you will be shooting them point blank (probably better not to shoot them close up anyway).

just think how you can get your point across that they are silly for wearing body armour, and that you are a good player, and just because you dont have a fancy weapon doesnt mean ur a n00b.

i would have to say go with talking to the marshals first of all.

I am sorry but I got to say this is a bit of a negative thread titled "The worst parts of airsoft" although the actual topic is just you having a rant (no offense and it is a well justified rant) You got the wrong title mate it's not airsoft it's those particular people although I got to agree with you on the fact of all the gear they wear I meen c'mon you can't hear if you are sprinting away, all you hear is the your feet thomping the ground, some times you really have to hose them for them to get the message! I just wear an assault vest. Quite a thin one, just so I can keep ammo and look the part.

EDIT: Is your TM m1911 good?? I might get one. What is the accuracy like, any bad points??

My absolute favourite loadout of all time:

DPM trousers

DPM shirt

Boots

3 spare pistol mags in pockets

1 pistol.

Well, maybe not my absolute favourite or I'd do it a lot more often, but it really does feel incredibly liberating to take to the field that way after I've been trussed up in my assault gear all day.

Like the gentleman above, I usually just wear my customised assault vest for practicality's sake. To put it into my usual abrasive vernacular, body armour is for wusses.

I and I think many others have found the use of body armour pretty irritating at times. That said I can also see why some people opt for it after being on the receiving end of various moments of over-kill (you know, someone just opens up on you, you call hit, they keep firing, you call them a d**k, they laugh, you threaten them, they stop). Thing is, like people not taking hits it can all be limited by good marshaling. The whole calling people who don't spend an arm and a leg on tactical clothing noobs is one habit that gets on my nerves more than most other things (except over-kill), it's morronic, also, last time I checked the SAS after the Iranian embassy siege were wearing jeans, sweat shirts and ski masks, wonder if any of those geardos would call them noobs? If you can fight well, you're not a noob.

Although im tempted to say that gunnermaniac is right, its a rant as opposed to a question i do totally understand where your coming from mate!

There is a certain London site ive visited no less than three times and ive always had a bad experience every time i go there for exactly the same reasons you list above!

I think alot of it is getting hot heated on both sides. I dont think ive EVER been to an airsoft game where i havnt heard one member of my team saying "the others arent taking their hits". Sometimes people miss, sometimes people cheat but there isnt a great deal you can do about it.

In my experience the best way to deal with the situation is as follows. Instead of convincing yourself that youve hit them by shooting them repeatedly do things in a way that they convince themselves that they are hit and killed.

Im talking about stealthy kills, catching people in the open without cover etc.

Its always simpler said than done but what we do is still better than paintball :P

Sorry, 2 cents thrown :P

Thats airsoft. Airsofters are arrogant, 90% of them. Godamnit they spend an avg 500 to 1000 dollars on one. Thats what you get for dressing like that. And not in a mean way, sorry if It came out like it. Your best bet is to A. Find a field marshall, B. Not play with that group, or C. Come up to them in person and explain, or D. mabye your shots didnt hit? Just remember its just a game and sometimes playing with your friends is way better because they know its a game. :)

or E. Get better equipment (they will take you more seriously)

as dookieboy was saying, since you only have a pistol, people might think that the shots were ricochets or the bb's were not hitting their target.

heck, i get upset when people show up in jeans and a sweater.

I don't usually wear armour - usually just a vest, but even so, I can hear the hits most of the time.

In fact, if I'm not sure, I'll wait - if someone puts another shot on me then I take it.

That being said, in HK we do get a lot of very powerful guns, and a lot of very poor players... not a terribly good combination.

Armour is one of those contentious issues.

At my site we tried working on a set of rules to allow them, and came to the conclusion that only real helmets could be made to work.

The whys of that involved weight, heat, and having to rely on seeing, or hearing a shot to know if you've been hit. Whereas feeling the plastic bb love somehow has more of an impact on your knowing.

I'm sure some psychology graduate could come up with an experiment showing how pain is processed in memory and results in a direct action response, whereas the process of seeing and hearing is subject to bodily sensation mediators.

Okay, I now know what my Ph.D subject is going to be! :P

I went to a CQB course yesterday, that i had been going to for about two years...

Like usual most of the players were dressed in full Camo with heavy vests and helmets, carrying lots of expensive guns. i was dressed in a sweatshirt and shorts with a plain TM 1911. When in the staging area i was picked last almost everytime, even though i was just as active as my fellow, amour-wearing teamates. I was also called a noob on many occasions. being treated like some idiotic "newbie" everytime i go there is kinda annoying, but understandable. the other problem with the full amoured players is that whenever i got a shot from normal 10ft-30ft range, they couldnt feel it because of their thick amour, resulting in me getting mad and runing up to them, ussally point-blank and firing a clip into them. Which didnt make me alot of friends...

It is understandable to pick people who look more serious/ have better guns.

however i dont think wearing hefty amour and being totally oblivious when you get hit, is ok. I think i will skip going to the course next time, and go with my friends

Ah AirsoftCQB ... Elitist central. But there are some really good guys there.

Airsoft is about the milsim.... Your complaints are pretty stupid and pointless.

If I were you I would at least have some sort of camo. Not civilian clothes.

And by armor do you mean vest? There is a difference between plates and a vest. Either way you can still feel/ hear the hit.

Airsoft is  about the milsim.... Your complaints are pretty stupid and pointless.

Airsoft is not about milsim. Milsim is about milsim. Airsoft is about real looking guns that shoot plastic pellets to the other guy :P Seriously, airsoft is what people make it be as long as the airsoft guns are included.

Airsoft is about fun.. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't play.

I think some people get upset at the precieved 'newbies' cos it make thier very expensive, to-the-detail loadout look silly next to a bloke in jeans and a t shirt.

My old team used to brew tea mid game and sit there mid firefight, drink in one hand, gun in the other..

If you're not enjoying yourself, go to another site, it's not worth getting wound up about..

I think people get annoyed with other airsofters not wearing combats because they think they aren't making an effort. Airsoft is about the reality of combat. Thats is where paintball lacks (just look at some of the championship games- guys running around big balloons in basketball gear! :huh: ). How much is it for some combats? About 20 quid for second hand gear?

Everyone has to try and get along and compromise with people to keep everyone happy. As for cheaters, yes they are a pain. But don't get too worked up about it. They'll soon get a reputation which will create a bad atmosphere around them. By that time, they would have regretted cheating all the time.

As for another annoying part of airsoft that bugs me- going prone on an ant hill and not knowing it until you are covered in ants! <_< So annoying.

Nov21

Airsoft is  about the milsim.... Your complaints are pretty stupid and pointless.

And by armor do you mean vest? There is a difference between plates and a vest. Either way you can still feel/ hear the hit.

LOLZZZZZ

Is it really ... Well, I better stop playing then.

I hope a thousand n00bs descend upon you with stealthy kills on their first day.

:rolleyes:

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this but.......

You're using a TM stock pistol right? If you shoot them in the armour a few times and the don't feel it...... shoot for the head. Seriously.

I don't know what the players wear in terms of face protection at your site but at my local CQB practically every one wears full face. With my MP7 have no qualms hitting them in the mask or back of the head. No matter how much armour you're wearing you'll hear a load plick on your visor/facemask/helmet and then there's absolutly no excuse.

Case in point. I shot a guy 3 times in the back from about 10-15 meter and he didn't register the hit. I re-aimed at the back of his head and fired twice and got an instant response. There'll always be people that like to wear armour (me included) for whatever reason and it does reduce the ablility of the wearer to feel hits and when your adrenaline is high you don't hear so good either.

Sorry to say this but if you don't like the style of play at this site and the players have attitude problems about "noobs" then it's high time to switch :)

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this but.......

You're using a TM stock pistol right? If you shoot them in the armour a few times and the don't feel it...... shoot for the head. Seriously.

You probably will... but not by me! :P

I have to confess to doing the same on a few occassions. People sometimes genuinely miss hits and that's fair enough. 99% of the time I'll go for a body shot if I can get one but when you *know* someone is ignoring the hits they kinda deserve a BB in the back on the neck or an ear lobe!

Seriously if they're wearing armour, aim some wear else. Limbs are a safe bet.

Also if Airsoft is so Millsim why there so few (I.E None millsimmers as far as I can see) people using gas filled real capped GBB Armalites etc. Also am sure Rob would like a word. Or at least last time I checked he wears civvy clothing.

Grammar.

Unfortunately it's part'n'parcel of the game mate - think of a standard MOLLE plate carrier - several layers of cordura, one layer of foam (to give it shape), and a layer of mags/etc... attached on the front. That's even without having a layer of bodyarmour underneath. It can sometimes be difficult to feel a hit through all of that, and more difficult still to notice a hit when the adrenaline's pumping and the tunnel vision is closing in...

Certainly a shot centre-mass is favoured in real life, but in airsoft, you want your opponents to feel the hit as much as possible - hence, aim for the the legs, arms, fingers, head, and (if really necessary) the goolies. You'll find that most people will take those kinds of hits.

From what i've seen as a site organiser over the years, most of the guys that don't notice their hits don't do it on purpose - they genuinely don't register them! A person has to be trained to perform an unnatural action like shouting "HIT!" and sticking their hands in the air when they get hit. Often, when a person's adrenaline is spiking out of control and their survival mode is in overdrive, remembering to follow this procedure is the last thing on their minds - especially when there is little or no pain stimulus (ie. they can't feel the hit through a magazine or tac-gear).

As a player, you have a choice - either complain to the management about the specific player in question (and if they're worth a damn, they'll do something about it), or, if you don't fancy that route, then look for somewhere else to play. If you're right, and a bunch of people there are intentionally undermining the rules of player conduct, it won't be long before the site dies out due to more and more people getting fed up and leaving. Nobody's forcing you to have to put up with this y'know! :)

Archived