Review of Dave's A&K M249 Para from actionhobbys

guys

its arrived!!!!!!! got woken up at the crack of 11am by the parcel force man with this:

HPIM0383.jpg

opened up the little envelope and found the sling for my shottie:

HPIM0384.jpg

after scribbling on his little cyber pad i managed to get it inside and finally opened here up and found this:

HPIM0385.jpg

inside the well packed box i was greeted by this wonderful sight:

HPIM0386.jpg

the gun comes in suprisingly few parts, as you can see main gun, battery, charger, hopper and a little crappy bag of BBs (why do they always include these?)

first impressions are:

OMFG its heavy, after a quick poke and prod it seems the front ends top cover and the hand guards are the only plastic items on the gun so its very solid.

it has a few rattles, mainly the stock (but with all the positions of the stock that under standable), the front sight (im sure some apox of something will fix that) and most irritatingly the front bipod - this is pretty loose and not the best on the planet, this initially is the only thing ive considered replacing so far.

all in all she looks a beast:

HPIM0387.jpg

she breaks down very quickly in to all these parts:

HPIM0388.jpg

the barrel assembly with the locking carrying handle is very sturdy and the plactic cover shown next to it is not only wasy to remove but again is also very strong.

my only concern with the whole assembly was the rear gear access, whilst it has the movable bolt lever (which looks funky and no doubt has some function im not sure on) it unfortunately is a bit of a barstool to close. but once you get the position of the parts for this correct its a very satisfying clunk as it closes!

looking down the broken down barrel assembly its very easy to put together etc:

HPIM0389.jpg

however the inner barrel whilst it has a proper locking system its an absolute pig to get lined up correctly!

another complaint is the battery position, whilst its conveniently hidden away in the barrel assembly its not particularlly pretty and i can see it loosening up during skirmishing (assuming i can break in to a run) but ive spoken to paul at actionhobbys on a related issue and hes looking at mounting bigger battries etc in other mags so thats something for the future but at the moment inside it looks like this:

HPIM0390.jpg

and heres a nice little posed shot of the beast:

HPIM0391.jpg

Now for the bad stuff:

my box mag was shagged!!! worked for about 30 seconds then died completely but have spoken to paul and im returning it this afternoon and hes getting a replacement sent asap. so i cant complain, whilst discussing this he mentioned the possibilty of switching kits and new battery in the mag but we shall see what happens with those.

so overall i give the gun 9/10 for everything, however the box mag scores an astounding 0/10 cos its naff. i did manage to pop a few shots off just hand feeding the BBs and the power is awesome.

on a side note within an hour of recieving the gun i was visited by the police! very odd, first question was asking me if id recieved a gun or replica (not the best option to send to normal bobbies on a gun question) i explained i had and offerd to show them and sorted it all out. i just find it odd they turned up so soon and none of my neighbours know what the thing was i recieved very odd!!

all i can say though is great gun i just cant wait to use it properly and definately cant wait to use it at a skirmish!

enjoy

millest

hi there i have a para to had probs with my box mag stoped feedin so opened it up and a bb had jamed in there got it out job done fires like a dream, :D had her in action was hiting stuff 40 feet away lovely did not miss a beat but boy did my arms ache at the end of the day .

yeah the police thing was a shock, though i dont think it was the neighbours as living rooms in the back, surrounded by a tall fence with hedges at the back and my two direct neighbours are cool with it! in fact one even to come skirmishing when he gets out of prison (hes a guard not a con) but i managed to manually feed my bbs for a few shots and thier hot.

spent most of the morning playing with my little pump action £20 shotgun - which i was suprisingly impressed with!

i think the battery was a 9.6 but i need new ones and if paul gets the new mags sorted with mod kits i might be in the market for several of those. lol

ill try to get videos sorted but i think they'll have to be done on my digital camera as i dont have a video camera.

also what sling would a need for this beast as she's fudging heavy? and then the next question is where the fluff does it attach on a para?

millest

Hi - nice review. Mine arrived last week from Airsoft Scotland and it looks great, will have it out in the field at the end of the month at Hilton Park.

Sling-wise I have bought a fairly bog standard M249 sling at around £16 which has a wide strap width to share the load. Attachment is very easy as there is an 'eye' at the back of the body for the back connection and the forward connection is a hole at the front of the foregrip. There's one on either side for ease of use with either hand.

Share your concerns about the bipod which seems a bit flimsy when compared with the rest of the weapon. Good Hunting.

im thinking of ris-ingine just so i can replace the bipod but that'll have to wait as ive just bought the gun!

as for the strap you actually mean in to the bit of metal that protrudes from the lower plastic hand grip with a hole in the top corner on either side right? i thought it might have been but didnt want to do it in case it shagged the gun!

cheers though

millest