Unicorn ASK74U Review

if I can get a tripod round to the flat tomorrow evening I'll do a full strip on mine and rebuild it from scratch for photos etc cameras are here but hate taking photos hand held.

I'll add details on griub screw needed for the flash hider too (PTFE tape on the threads will cut down the muzzle break wobble but thread lock or the missing grub screw is best way of attaching the thread adapter to outer barrel to ensure the whole lot stays where it should long term)

Agreed i need that grub screw ! i will e mail fung tonnight and ask him to send me one :)

The PFTE tape works but if you unscrew it and screw on the other thread properly then you wont need the PFTE tape, as the PFTE tape only stops the flash hider from wobble'ing when its not the hider in the first place :o

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope u write a step by step guide cause it's bit difficult to understand what the solutions are right now.

how about a little bit of super glue for that shifting metal bar in the stock. instead of the welding

Do you have one on hand? I've found bits of data like the one in this thread are much easier to understand if you actually have a gun on hand and have similar problems.

Would i buy it again if i had the money,yes i would because it feels right,smells rights & "tastes right" only kidding ;)

Couldn't agree more. Used as I am to brand new (and therefore brand-new looking) AEG purchases, when I opened the box on this one I thought "merde, this looks a right state, wish I'd plumped for the Cyma and saved myself a few quid now." After a couple of hours working through snorkel's tips, I'm in love with the bloody thing.

It looks and feels like it ran off a Belarus production line and went straight to a Soviet unit in Afghanistan, got captured by the mujahaddin, somehow ended up involved in the opium trade, finally got seized in a raid by Kuwaiti police, who then offered it as a token of appreciation to British troops after Desert Storm, after which it retired gracefully to spend the rest of its days in a regimental museum somewhere on the south coast. It just exudes character in a way my G36c is never, ever going to.

As you maybe able to tell, I'm very pleased with it :D . Although that's not going to stop me from getting a slightly better-feeling pistol grip for it.

Edited by djl

It's the smell of a cold oily gun when you pick it out of the box.My Mrs has long since got over me carrying guns round the house to get used to the feel of them but in this case i feel like a dog with a favourite toy it has to carry everywhere.My Mrs likes the gun because it's small,i like it because it kicks *albartroth* when it shoots.I don't know for sure but it feels like a gun shooting well above it's class.

I tried a fix on the sloppy cocking handle,it didn't work very well so it's back to the drawing board & another attempt tomorrow.The fix basically consists of making a suitable piece of wire longer than the current guide wire & fitted into a drilled recess in the ejection port while allowing the latch at the rear of the gun to still move to lock down the upper reciever.If i can get it right i'll post pics.

edit: does everyone have differant serial numbers on their guns? On mine it's *91 060463.I was wondering if it's just a number or if they are unique & therefore traceable in case of theft?

Oh & guys don't forget to lightly oil your gun,it's steel & will rust if not cared for.

Edited by rolling-thunder

hi RT no the serial number on them is all the same

re securing the guide rod one thing you could do is screw a small plate on to the top of the block that has two grub screws to hold the outer barrel in place (its hidden under the top part of the trunnion where the front of the cover hinges up)

plate would sit flat on top of there screwed in place At rear of it (ie hop unit end) twist the plate so it takes a 90 degree turn and lies flat against end of the trunnion, then at very end of it form it into a small u-shape to catch the end of a longer guide rod in (or weld a small cylinder onto it to do the same)

clip.jpg

Edited by snorkelman
hi RT no the serial number on them is all the same

Thanks for the advice i'll see what my limited skills can bodge.A bit of a bummer about the serial number though.I must had put nearly 2000 rounds through my gun,i haven't put that many through my M249 yet.I can't wait to game in my Russian BDUs carrying this gun. :D

closeup.jpg

wee bit o scuffing with a sponge sanding pad to pick out the rivets, edges and fire control pins its got an ideal finish for doing the 'aged look' to

you can pick up AKSU slings for them off of a ukranian guy who sells stuff on gunboards in the usa (I think he puts stuff up on ebay from time to time as well) rusmilitary used to have them at one stage but havent seen any on there for a while (though they do have the drop bags for them)

dropcase_aksu.jpg

Edited by snorkelman

internals are cyma so as reliable as rest of their own AKs, should have a tightbore barrel and the hop up seems decent from what people have posted.

Expect plenty of rattles and wobbles straight out of the box but externals are solid once you tighten the various bits and pieces down properly.

The bolt is the one part that could really do with being replaced with something better (both in terms of looks and fit)

If you arent in the UK then give it a few weeks till all the different AKSUs that are currently coming out have been looked over and choose best one at that stage.

Edited by snorkelman

bolt wise the old black guarder one would be best bet, failing that bend it in a little so it runs a little tighter and remodel the face of it with a little filler to cover up the tack weld point for cocking lever and spot weld marks on its surface then give it a spray of paint (while putting a skin of filler on it build it up a little for the normal 'hump' found on AK74 bolts)

Ive held off on extra photos as the dboy one will be here in the morning so I'll photo both at same time

o, well, my unicorn aks74u is still in the mail. it shipped out yesterday. =/ waited 3 weeks cause of all u UK'ers. :P

i really don't understand all the problems/solutions that are posted. but i bet i will once i receive mines in the mail.

Edited by greatwatermelon
bolt wise the old black guarder one would be best bet, failing that bend it in a little so it runs a little tighter and remodel the face of it with a little filler to cover up the tack weld point for cocking lever and spot weld marks on its surface  then give it a spray of paint (while putting a skin of filler on it build it up a little for the normal 'hump' found on AK74 bolts)

Ive held off on extra photos as the dboy one will be here in the morning so I'll photo both at same time

HI snorkelman, interesting on the old black guarder one, have you personally tried it yet? I'm really keen to get one if it's a really good fit, even bending the existing one doesn't give it the best fit.

going to skirmish the gun at shapdowopz on sat so will let you all know how well it holds up.

you know thats actualy a very good point I havent tried the guarder one (the unicorn and dboys Ive bought as couple of project guns for gas conversions so Ive not really concentrated much with AEG side of them at all)

probably best if someone scrounged a loan of a guarder bolt first for a test fitting before shelling out on it.

sent an email to info@unicorn-industry.com asking if they were going to do anything about the cocking bolt. I know that gunner had a problem getting hold of them from the factory and i'm wondering if these are in fact unicorn bolts, I can't believe that a company with a reputation to bulid would let something like this 'degrade' the product. also may be worth us all emailing gunner to see if he can push the manufacturers. The guarder bolt cost $50 which I don't mind buying but from looking it seems like it may need a bit of work to fit plus I couldn't find them in stock anywhere...

aye at very least they'd be far better off casting a bolt out of steel same as they did for front sight and trunnion etc, I think from what gunner said initialy that based on his feedback unicorn may make changes at a later date (that was mainly regarding ease of assembly issues for the kit version, but id like to think theyd do something regarding the bolt as it is the one piece that lets the gun down)

however I have to say the clear winner looks like being the dboys

I've only just taken it out of its packaging but fit of parts is extremely good, finish is going to be personal prefference (I like semi glossy AKs which the dboys is but they arent as easy to give a '30 year weathering job' as the unicorn would be), grips are really good althought the colouring wood pattern is a little bit of a miss match between upper and lower. In fact the grips on first sight are so smooth and regularly coloured that they almost look fake its only when you tap them that you can be sure they actually are wood.

comes with a very wide sling, a charger and battery of unknown quality and a high cap mag the magazine is going to be its main issue because by looks of things if you want to use other mags than the one the dboys comes with you'll have to alter its mag catch. Actually the issue might be with the magazine from the unicorn Im trying but as folks seem to have got other mags to lock in place snugly on the unicorn at this stage Im leaning to the dboys mag having too thin a locking point and a mag catch thats been beefed up to suit

I'll do a side by side of both now Ive got em both here in meantime heres a photo of them both together

both1.jpg

Edited by snorkelman