Unicorn ASK74U Review

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fido / Lordyeray: Many thanks for the information. I was under the impression the gun was a copy of VFC - I'm very pleased to hear it's a copy of the Inokatsu kit instead (my RPK and 103 are both Guarder / Inokatsus!). I look forward to getting one of these myself!

Now, time to buy another drop bag, sling and some more real steel furniture...:(

Hello,

I would like to know if all Cyma gearbox included have a missing tooth on the piece near the selector switch :

http://super.felix.photos2.free.fr/cpg133/...0001/piece3.jpg

Actually I already have an upgraded Cyma GB waiting at home and well, I don't need another one ! So I will try to buy the kit wihtout the GB... but I don't know if I will have to adapt my former GB...

Hello,

I would like to know if all Cyma gearbox included have a missing tooth on the piece near the selector switch :

http://super.felix.photos2.free.fr/cpg133/...0001/piece3.jpg

Actually I already have an upgraded Cyma GB waiting at home and well, I don't need another one ! So I will try to buy the kit wihtout the GB... but I don't know if I will have to adapt my former GB...

yes but to differing amounts (all thats really needing removed is the tooth itself but on some the whole section of the quadrant has been slimmed down) you should be able to modify the stock locking button instead to allow proper clearance for the tooth (just a litle more work as its steel and needs the part removed from receiver then refitted afterwards prolly why the easier optio was taken of filing the tooth)

Will the stock locking button still work fine after a "slimming"? Won't it "bother" its functioning :unsure: ?

Anyway, I hope they will correct their body to fit any GB, since they take much time to release the Aks74 :blink: !

(At worst, I could slim the tooth which isn't made of steel, if I've understood well !)

Will the stock locking button still work fine after a "slimming"? Won't it "bother" its functioning :unsure: ?

Anyway, I hope they will correct their body to fit any GB, since they take much time to release the Aks74 :blink: !

(At worst, I could slim the tooth which isn't made of steel, if I've understood well !)

yep nibble the tooth if need be though amount you need to trim off the latch isnt severe and what would be needing modified if they ever wanted to fix it (they're body is in line with all the other side folder AKs fromother manufacturers - its just their latch thats wrong)

• 4 weeks later...

Mine arrived today. I've been a fan of Inokatsu kits since getting into airsofting, so it seemed the best way forward.

In terms of build quality, it doesn't compare too badly, considering the price difference between this and my RPK / AK103. The pistol grip / magazine have a cheaper plastic and the finish is a strange dappled one, but I like it, and feel quite at home with assembling it (it arrived in pieces). As I am familiar with Inokatsu kits I was for the most part at home with building it, and the gun is feeling generally solid now.

Two quick problems I have though:

- The trigger guard mount plate (which the trigger guard screws into usually) appears to have been wrenched off by mistake when being disassembled for shipping. I have just used the magical epoxy resin to try and resolve this.

- I'm accustomed to guarder steel bolts, and this bolt, as already commented, is truly awful. Apart from looking like something Iron Man would have sh*t, the bolt rod is too short to reach the gas block, and even if it were there is no guide hole for the rod to fit into. A guarder rod is the appropriate length, so hopefully with a drill this will be resolved (as per the inokatsu gas blocks). Out of interest, how have other people fixed the issue? I know Snorkelman recommended an additional plate. Has anyone taken this method, or simply drilled?

All input gratefully received. Cheers. :)

Hey, I don't know if this has been posted but I found the Unicorn at Uncompany: http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=10996

So Gunners and RMW are not the only places that have them... interesting... I hope they spread overseas...lol.

• 2 months later...

I have an extra gearbox with full tune kit and all the goodies and I was thinking of buying this gun and ditching the original box, is it worth it? I also thought about buying the Dboy aks74u (since it only costs half as "much") but unicorn having better metal parts I'm probably gonna go with it (or not).

How do you guys make the serial numbers and such? 

Edited by fool