Cyma AKS 74U

Hi all,

I bought a Cyma AKS 74U (don't know what the Cyma designation is) from Hong Kong a few days ago. I was going to buy the VFC one but could not pass this up.

The box is just a plain cardboard box with no pictures or logo's, just a simple brown box. Upon taking the lid off you will see the AKS 74U (which will be abbreviated to AKSU for this thread) in some cut out polystyrene and cardboard. I didnt bother taking a picture of the box as its covered in parcel tape and stickers from the airline company and HK Security when I checked it in.

Also in the box are Hi Cap, Battery and Charger, I read on Airsoft News that they would come with chargers and no batteries...no idea what the deal is but when I bought mine the guy recommended not to use the charger and to bin it so I let him take it there and then.

However, NO INSTRUCTION MANUAL! I have no idea whether this is Cyma's doing or whether it was the shop's doing, so if any future owners of one of these could scan or make me a copy of there manual's I would be grateful :D.

Upon picking up the Cyma AKSU the first thing I noticed was the weight, a lot heavier than I thought and heavier than the Dboys version (finger banged it prior to buying the Cyma). The weight gives it a very solid feeling, it feels like it will take some abuse and I am sure it'll be durable enough for me.

As far as I could tell the entire reciever, bolt and fire selector are metal, cast alloy if I am not mistaken. It is finished in a matte black finish, very similar to the finish you will see on G&P M4 recievers. I'm no AK expert but if I recall correctly the real AK's have a glossier finish, I actually prefer the matte finish even if it isnt "realistic".

The front and rear sight "casing" is metal, the "actual" front sight post and the "actual" ("actual" as in the parts you use to aim and not the parts surrounding them) rear sight are plastic. The flashider is also metal, all metal parts are finished in the same matte black as the reciever.

As well as the actual sights, the pistol grip, Hi cap and foregrips are all made of plastic. I'm not sure whether the wood finish on the grips look good or not, my brother didnt like them and described them as "plastic with wooden laminate flooring stuck on". They seem ok to me but I bought a set of VFC Wood grips as well.

The Folding stock is also metal and again feels very solid. When unfolding the stock (to shoulder the gun) you need to release the latch which holds it onto the reciever manually, pulling the stock without releasing the latch will NOT release the stock, it didnt release even when i held just the stock on its own and let gravity do its work. I view this is a good thing, I have already got into a habit of doing it and it feels very natural already, I would much prefer doing this than have the stock swinging around when its supposed to be latched in place.

When you unfold the stock you can hear a very satisfying and defined click when the stock locks into place, once it is locked it is nice and solid, hardly any movement at all. The sling swivel is also metal and seems to be very robust, I will be using a one point sling on the loop, I have attached one already and let the AKSU drop several times with its own weight and there dont seem to be any problems.

When I first bought this the button which releases the top cover allowing access to the gearbox was a bit dodgy. Basically the spring which would press the button back out and lock the top cover down was quite weak so sometimes the button wouldnt retract all the way which lead to the top cover popping open. This spring is also the same spring used on the bolt, the odd thing was that the bolt would retract all the way forward no problems and when the AKSU was held vertically (barrel up) the bolt would remain in the same place and not drop down due to the gravity.

I took apart the bolt and rod assembly to try fix the top cover release button issue, however being the *albatross* that I am I forgot to take a photo of it or memorise how it was set up. After a bit of twiddling I managed to get it all back together with opposite results though. The top cover release button would now retract to its furthest position everytime whereas the bolt was a bit loose, if held vertically (barrel facing up) the bolt would drop down around 3mm due to the gravity. I added an extra spring from a mechanical pen and no longer have that problem. The bolt also moves about 1-2mm to the left or right instead of just going straight back, I do not remember whether it did this before I took the bolt apart or whether it started after I took the bolt apart, regardless its no big problem but I do remember it not moving left or right at all because that was one of factors which put me off the Dboys version.

Thats pretty much most of the externals covered, I cannot really go into any detail regarding the gearbox as I am a gearbox n00b. So externally I would give the Cyma AKSU 8.5/10, the key points which could be improved are the Foregrips & Pistol grip, I'm not really concerned about the mag as I plan to use midcaps with it.

I test fired the AKSU with a Firefox 7.4volt 1300mAh Li Po battery, upon shooting there was a very nice "tight" sound, not squeaky or high pitched, it seems well built but I must reiterate that I have no idea about gearboxes. Having never used a battery with a voltage smaller than 8.4 I can't say whether the ROF was good or not, it was around the speed I expected it to be and I'm fairly satisfied with it. The fire selector omits a small click when it changes position, I plan to tighten the screw up so hopefully get a more defined click.

Coke Can Chrono test puts the AKSU at 350-370 FPS, it pierced BOTH sides of the cans with ease, it is possibly firing at a higher FPS, I always thought the top part of the can was the next strongest point so tested on the top side of the can which the AKSU did not pierce. I will get it chronoed properly soon and let everyone know the results. I have not had a chance to adjust the hop up yet but will let everyone know of the results once I do

I plan to downgrade to a M90 (want it shooting around 320) to make it suitable for CQB site's so will report on any ROF changes, I will be using the Firefox 7.4volt 1300mAh Li Po battery for the AKSU, no particular reason, just a victim of the clerks sales techniques ;).

I will be using MAG 100 round Midcaps with the AKSU, I have bought 2 boxes of the plum AK74 style ones and have tested 2 of the Midcaps and both feed fine. They are a very tight fit though, the Cyma hicap is also a very tight fit too though. Maybe its me not being used to AK's (I normally use a CQBR) but it felt pretty tight to me.

So a quick summary,

Pro's;

Cheap

Full Metal

Good Gearbox (I think :P)

Well built, very soild feel

Con's;

Plastic Furniture

No Instruction Manual (could be the shops fault though)

Top Cover Release Button issue

At this current point in time I give the Cyma AKSU 8.5/10.

Pictures;

DSC02411.jpg

DSC02412.jpg

DSC02414.jpg

(holding it by the stock only)

DSC02415.jpg

DSC02416.jpg

(note that the wiring is on the left so it doesnt interfere with the bolt)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DSC02417.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

(the circled part is the hop up adjuster, you push the rod to the left or right to adjust the hop up. I am not sure which way gives which results yet as I have not had a chance to adjust properly)

DSC02428.jpg

(the extra spring I added to solve the Top Cover Release button issue)

DSC02429.jpg

(a view from the back with the stock folded, note that you cannot see the gearbox)

Thanks for the feedback guys, if anyone needs any more information please feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer.

I would pick the Cyma over the Dboys version, the Dboys version was lighter and the bolt moved left to the left and right a lot. The fire selector had no pronounced click or anything when switching modes.

It is really just the externals I am basing it off at the moment, the clerk's recommendation was get the Cyma if you want a skirmish gun or get the Dboys if you want a wall hanger, which I agree with :).

This does not mean the Cyma externals are *suitcasey*, I am very very happy with mine!

the spring of the bolts goes behind the bolt ;)

Hi mate,

Thanks for the help but I'm not quite sure I understand, hopefully this will clear things up.

DSC02423a.jpg

Is this what you mean??

DSC02416.jpg

The above picture was taken before I took the bolt assembly apart and I think I have it set up the right way...

VFC AKS74U owners, please help!!

Whilst attempting to install VFC wood grips onto my Cyma AKS 74U (I've established that the grips fit on exactly like the VFC AKSU), I managed to dislodge/bugger the spring loaded top cover mechanism + lose the pin which holds the top handguard on.

I think I've found the pin which holds the handguard pin in and I think I have the spring as well, could someone please show me how to put it back in so that the spring loaded top cover works again and so that the pin stops the rear of the top handguard from coming off :(

These are the parts I have

DSC02456.jpg

(Pin, Spring, piece of black plastic which I'm not sure is a part or junk)

and this is the AKSU top cover in its current state

DSC02445-1.jpg

(From the rear with top cover open. The pin fits inside the spring and the spring fits the hole pointed out in the picture very well)

DSC02449-1.jpg

(From the front with top cover open. The pin can move in and out of the hole at the front easily which leads me to believe its the original one)

DSC02455.jpg

(top cover closed with nothing in the circled hole in picture 2)

As you can see the pin which protrudes when the top cover is closed (to hold the handguard in) is not present.

I should really stop trying to tinker with stuff myself and let others do it :P....

Thanks in advance for the help!!

plunger.jpg

see the tiny tab of metal at front of the top cover that I've circled in yellow? Thats what stops the pin and spring coming back out (and what puts pressure on the pin to push it forward as the top cover closes).

By looks of it your top cover has lifted high enough that its no longer coverign the hole that the pin and spring go into at all (thus pin can go on some spring assisted travels accross the room).

It could be bent, could be too short or that bit o plastic you found might attach to the end of it to increase its length. As Ive never handled the cyma version I couldnt say for sure.

BUT most likely rather than any of those the hinge pin that holds top receiver cover to the front trunnion (as per circled bit in photo below) has just slipped out slightly - alowing one side of the top receiver cover to float further than it should

hingepin.jpg

If so its an easy fix

pop the spring in followed by the pin into their channel

push them back just far enough they can clear that littlenotch of metal in first photo above

then while holding them there, ease the cover down enough at front so the nub of metal covers the edge of the pin.

Then make sure the hinge pin is passing thru both sides of the top cover and isnt allowing one side to missaling with its hole

Edited by snorkelman

I've just received mine too, but haven't fired it yet.

I can confirm anything said, but imho the fake wood looks nice, it's the same as my real wood AIMS.

I also haven't got any problems with the bolt cover, so i think that was a lemon you got mate.

see the tiny tab of metal at front of the top cover that I've circled in yellow? Thats what stops the pin and spring coming back out (and what puts pressure on the pin to push it forward as the top cover closes).

By looks of it your top cover has lifted high enough that its no longer coverign the hole that the pin and spring go into at all (thus pin can go on some spring assisted travels accross the room).

It could be bent, could be too short or that bit o plastic you found might attach to the end of it to increase its length. As Ive never handled the cyma version I couldnt say for sure.

BUT most likely rather than any of those the hinge pin that holds top receiver cover to the front trunnion (as per circled bit in photo below) has just slipped out slightly - alowing one side of the top receiver cover to float further than it should

If so its an easy fix 

pop the spring in followed by the pin into their channel

push them back just far enough they can clear that littlenotch of metal in first photo above

then while holding them there, ease the cover down enough at front so the nub of metal covers the edge of the pin.

Then make sure the hinge pin is passing thru both sides of the top cover and isnt allowing one side to missaling with its hole

You sir are a saint!!

I took the whole top cover off and found out that a tab had snapped off, luckily the part which has snapped off is the same black tab that I thought was a piece of junk (in the picture from the original post). Just stuck it back on with copious amounts of superglue and laminated the whole area around the break with more glue so fingers crossed it'll be good to go within the hour!!

DSC02457.jpg

I've just received mine too, but haven't fired it yet.

I can confirm anything said, but imho the fake wood looks nice, it's the same as my real wood AIMS.

I also haven't got any problems with the bolt cover, so i think that was a lemon you got mate.

Damn, I should stop trying to take things or install things by myself!! Did you get a instruction manual mate?

Great review though the metal reciever does not look as good as the unicorn one, i am awaiting the Dboys version review as that is a 100% clone of the VFC

Thanks :). I actually prefer the Matte black finish of the Cyma reciever, which isnt as realistic I guess but its nahhhhhhhhhhhce!

The front end looks 100% Marui compatible. Is this the case?

Could you elaborate a bit more mate? I'm not exactly sure what you mean, this is my first and by the looks of it my last AK (thanks VCRA :rolleyes: ) so its all pretty new to me.

the actual sights, the pistol grip, Hi cap and foregrips are all made of plastic

Quick update regarding the spring loaded top cover, doesnt look like the superglue will hold, the spring is too powerful for it :(

The options now are

-Leave the Spring Operated top cover and try to find a way to secure the handguard pin, I was thinking of either trying to find a thicker pin at a hardware store and let it hold on with friction seeing as it is a stationary part and shouldnt move; or wrap a strip of tape around it to make it thicker.

-Dremel off the old tab and form a new one and somehow weld it in place of the old tab, there could be problems with the attachment point though so a possible no go.

-Get a new top cover or reciever set, after a quick search it seems the only chance of that is through the Guarder AKSU kit, does anyone know of any more??

If anyone has any other suggestions then please do share!!

The actual handguards are held in very tightly even without the pin so I guess I could go without the handguard pin, but the rear part does move up with a tiny bit of pressure and I can imagine that annoying me...

Edited by tangman
Could you elaborate a bit more mate?  I'm not exactly sure what you mean, this is my first and by the looks of it my last AK (thanks VCRA  :rolleyes: ) so its all pretty new to me.

The Marui method of attachment, copied by most of the AKs out there, uses a front piece similar to this:

tgs_mb_ak47fs.jpg

The part that interests me is the lower right part in that metal chunk. If the CYMA one looks similar (as I suspect it does) that means we've now got a low-cost metal AKS74 receiver to tinker with to convert existing Marui-compatible guns. :D

Edited by PlasticMag

Just had a quick shoot with this to adjust the hop up, looks like you'll need a new Hop bucking, I couldnt get any decent range. However this could be down to me not taking my time, I literally just took it out for 10 minutes and went from one end to the other. My garden is also only about 12-15 Metres long as well so maybe the range was better, I could noticeable tell that BB's were dropping though...

I think I have found a solution for the top cover.

I reglued the tab which held the spring operated pin back onto the top cover, I have placed the pin back in like normal but WITHOUT the spring.

The tab will now protrude far enough in to hold the handguard pin but without the tension of the spring, the weight of the pin should NOT be enough to break the reglued tab, I have done a bit of testing. I shook the AKSU rigorously to simulate skirmish environments. I also held it vertically and shook it up and down and there no movement from the pin, these were all exaggerated movements and I doubt that in a normal skirmish it'll be shook around like that. So far I am happy to report it seems to be working well.

I would still like to purchase a new top cover or new reciever as I did like the spring operated top cover, hopefully in time the clone companies will make one :).

Edited by tangman

easiest fix for the broken part (just dont jump in and do it without the tools) is find someone with a pop rivet gun and rivets of correct size and then remove the rear sight assembly from the top cover by grinding off the original rivets.

You should then be able to make a strip of metal (bent with a new tip at the end) and appropriate holes drilled, that you can then rivet back on along with the rear sight assembly. Paint that and the new rivets black and it would be sorted.