dboys aksu second try

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

I went looking for info about how the newer revisions of Kalash AKS-74U's are, but the last post in this thread is almost a year old. I've now bought the gun and opened it up, so here's a few bits of info if someone else is in the same situation as I was.

Kalash AKS-74U, full steel / real wood

Ordered from Gunner on Aug 24 2009

Externals:

• I haven't found single part that doesn't respond to a magnet, so it looks like it's truly full steel
  • The wooden handgrips have a way better finish than in any review I've seen. They look more like the super-nice re-finished handguards some people have worked on. A definite improvement.
  • The upper handguard is a bit loose, but is easily fixed with a bit of tape
  • The optic rail is attached with hex screws (I read someone had it attached with rivets)
Internals:

• Gearbox has QC6 sticker on it
  • Piston head and spring guide have bearings
  • Bushings are metal
  • Gears are XYT-made, apparently steel
  • Way too much grease, but it wasn't as nasty-looking as the green goo some other guns have
  • Shimming was okay
  • After re-shimming and lubing, I noticed that there's a lockup-problem with the bevel gear. There's no visible deformation, but the gear has to be misformed somehow. While hand-testing the shimming, the gears get really hard to turn when the weird part hits the spur gear. The gun runs fine though, so I just ignore it until something breaks.
  • Motor cage fits loosely on the gearbox, there's some wobble no matter how tight the screws are
  • The included 8,4v 1100mAh battery runs the gun, but lazily

I haven't been able to any shooting tests yet (except to confirm that it shoots :P), so no comments about that yet. Hope this helps someone.