• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P

Why certainly!

M1A1sRocks1_sml.png

M1A1sDeckFinal1_sml.png

Oh and BTW, I aged the new KAR98 today, here are a couple teaser pics I'll have better images tomorrow. It gets dark here pretty early when it snows all day ;)

agedKAR98D_sml.png

agedKAR98C_sml.png

Closeup of weathered and aged K98 receiver

Slainte!

Wow, excellent tutorial. This is definitely going under my bookmarks to await the arrival of a wood-stock M14. Thanks for putting the time and effort into writing this up.

:blush: Thank you sir! That means a lot :)

Here are a couple better images from this morning of the K98- I also took a bunch of the process of doing the stock that I will edit and add later.

KAR98kAged5a_sml.png

KAR98kAged2a_sml.png

agedKAR98C_sml.png

The Best Of This Pic

AgedWW2Rifles4_sml.png

Aged WWII Rifles

AgedWW2Rifles3_sml.png

Slainte!
Ah, I'll have to get some. Thanks.

Unless your doing a lot of guns- make sure you get the smallest container-

That is of course unless you like the smell of linseed oil in your garage/apt and plan on keeping it around as a room freshener :P

A little goes a long way and I still have a 3/4 full can ;)

Slainte!

Ya I used a bit too much linseed oil on my AKS-74U's wood grips.... is there a way to get rid of the stickiness?

Thanks,

-Blink

Wow, not sure-

I have always applied it, left it on for maybe 15 to 20 minutes then wiped it off.

Did you end up just leaving it til it dried?

That is of course unless you like the smell of linseed oil in your garage/apt and plan on keeping it around as a room freshener :P

According to this guy, boiled linseed oil isn't actually boiled and contains heavy metals, so I definitely wouldn't want to spread it around the garage or anything. :P

I'm not using it for an aging product admittedly. More interested in seeing how it makes wood gun bits look. :)

hey dude always been a follower of this thread. Just thought i would post some of my attempts i am really pleased with it, thanks to your guide! The pics dont pic up the weathering on the reciever very well but i started off by attacking it with an electric sander then literaly splashing it with lashings of salt water after a few days of some nice rusty metal i then resprayed with a light coat gloss black and then a soft rub down with really fine sandpaper. i then decided to sort the plastic grips out. At 1st i was just going to paint them black but then i thought what have i got to lose. I just used what i had available and sprayed my Halfords bought gloss black onto some paper and applied with a brush and voila! i was amazed it really was that easy. Its dried well and looks the nutts now.

from this,

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/1st...oter/ak.002.jpg

To..

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/1st...er/m4ptw021.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/1st...er/m4ptw022.jpg

Wow 1st Shooter, that turned out great! good work!

Kind of makes you appreciate the gun more now that you personalized it some huh?

I finally got around to working on my DBoyi AKS74 late this afternoon- Some steel wool, sand paper, and the usual watered down acrylic paint trick-

DBoyiAKS74Aged2_sml.png

DBoyiAKS74Aged6_sml.png

DBoyiAKS74Aged7_sml.png

DBoyiAKS74Aged5_sml.png

It was getting dark when I got done and took the pics, I actually see a couple things I need to go back and hit again :P

Slainte!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a question about your linseed oiling...

I see that in your picture of your thompson before oiling, it had a really really blackish brown color to it, but then after linseeding it got all brownish again...

Did you do something to it after taking that blackish picture, or was it just oiled thereafter?

I have an AK-47 and it looks a bit unnatural with wood that dark, but I do love the finish on your Thompson and I'm lookin for something like it. Any more info on how you did it?

I have a question about your linseed oiling...

I see that in your picture of your thompson before oiling, it had a really really blackish brown color to it, but then after linseeding it got all brownish again...

Did you do something to it after taking that blackish picture, or was it just oiled thereafter?

I have an AK-47 and it looks a bit unnatural with wood that dark, but I do love the finish on your Thompson and I'm lookin for something like it. Any more info on how you did it?

It could just be the lighting in the picture- Which pics specifically and I will take a look.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guinness ive been following this thread for a while and have made a purchase of an M14 wood look ABS stock. I've found a picture of an m14 that has a nice amount of weathering to the stock...how easy would it be to make it look like this?

2004_0824_mosul.jpg