Guinness' Weathering Guide

Hey Guinness ive been following this thread for a while and have made a purchase of an M14 wood look ABS stock. I've found a picture of an m14 that has a nice amount of weathering to the stock...how easy would it be to make it look like this?

-snip-

Make a plastic stock look like that one? Not that hard at all my friend.

The hardest part will be sanding it down enough to lighten the wood effect to something near that shade. You won't get there completely by sanding of course, you will also need to use a lighter tan or light brown acrylic paint wash over it after the sanding. Remember that Acrylic paints are water-soluble and mixable, so you can mix with white or dilute with a little water to get the shade you want.

I especially like how you can see right above the mag well and there just ahead of the recoil lug, you can see where the wood has been rubbed and worn- you can see it's lighter tan and dull, whereas right there around the lug itself (the round black bit of metal in the stock just above his trigger finger) the finish is darker and still has some of the varnish left- That is easy to do just by selectively sanding- the plastic stock is going to have a 'shiny' gloss layer on top that will obviously be removed by sanding- if you want an effect like the M14 in the picture, simply make sure not to sand all the clear gloss layer away.

All that can be done easily on plastic stocks.

I don't know if you read the review I prepared on the DBoyi K98, but it was one of the first ones in the plastic stock-

Before:

Kar98kA1_sml.png

After:

KAR98kStageII1_sml.png

Obviously I chose to go dark with the KAR when weathering the wood- but lighter would have been just as easy.

Let me know how I can help at all-

Slainte!

Edited by Guinness
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wicked cheers for that....Hopefully shud be getting the stock today/tomorrow. Got my DMR RAS yesteday and thats fitted fo the original stock. So its all looking good so far.

Once ive done it...i'll post some pics of the result.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Great Thread!!!

I tried using your tips on my Kalash Rk-01.

my first try at weathering.

Here's the result

Looks great Mr. Mossad....if that is your real name ;)

Remember, there is no 'wrong way' on this stuff- if you think it looks good and authentic then,

Mission Accomplished! (George Walker Bush, 2003 ;) )

I wrote this to help my Airsoft friends out- I really enjoy the feedback from folks that have tried some of the tips and then got creative on their weapons.

I guess one of my 'motivators' to do this was seeing all the time, energy and expense spent on 'correct' uniforms, gear, etc and worrying so much about whether the shade of camo was right or whether this unit wore subdued patches, or what shoulder to put it on and all that, but invariably these guys would have clean, pristine looking weapons- it just didn't make sense to me.

If you spend anytime at all at GOARMY.com or any of the other US Military sites or find images from the UK or other allies and their fighting forces, or just a random image search for say, M16A1- You will notice quickly that not one of the guns pictured looks 'factory fresh' That's real life, that's what those of us that choose to do this to our weapons are after.

Slainte!

I guess one of my 'motivators' to do this was seeing all the time, energy and expense spent on 'correct' uniforms, gear, etc and worrying so much about whether the shade of camo was right or whether this unit wore subdued patches, or what shoulder to put it on and all that, but invariably these guys would have clean, pristine looking weapons- it just didn't make sense to me.

If you spend anytime at all at GOARMY.com or any of the other US Military sites or find images from the UK or other allies and their fighting forces, or just a random image search for say, M16A1- You will notice quickly that not one of the guns pictured looks 'factory fresh' That's real life, that's what those of us that choose to do this to our weapons are after.

Slainte!

Sir,

Thanks.

I agree 100% :)

• 4 weeks later...
I now have a very strong urge to get a Tanaka Kar98k and beat it up too look like my real M98.

Look I even have a template! :P

*Runs off to scrounge $500 for a Tanaka Kar98K.*

why not go easy on your walet and get the dboys kar98 with real wood?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Guiness for this awesome guide...!!! As soon as I saw this guide I raced to my nearest hardware store to purchase some steel wool and some fine grained sandpaper.

And then I went to work on my KJ Works Colt M1911A1. I don't think I went too far and I took it in small steps and my M1911A1 went from this:

1911_1.jpg

To this:

1911_1_worn.jpg

1911_2_worn.jpg

1911_3_worn.jpg

1911_4_worn.jpg

I didn't do too much to the slide as the trademarks are printed on and not engraved nor did I do the grips. I'm waiting for some original M1911A1 grips. But I did some edges and where wear and tear normally would occur and I'm actually really satisfied with the result.

Regards,

Jakob Laursen

Edited by Laursen
  • 1 month later...

Hope this doesn't constitute a necropost, but here is my offering! A worn AK-74M (Tokyo Marui AK-74MN to be exact). I can post the photos I used for reference upon request, but they are in the "AK and Variants" thread in the photos section.

haifischak74mnweathered01.jpg

haifischak74mnweathered02.jpg

haifischak74mnweathered03.jpg

haifischak74mnweathered04.jpg

haifischak74mnweathered05.jpg

haifischak74mnweathered06.jpg

haifischak74mnweathered07.jpg

haifischak74mnweathered08.jpg

Edited by neros131
Thanks Guiness for this awesome guide...!!! As soon as I saw this guide I raced to my nearest hardware store to purchase some steel wool and some fine grained sandpaper.

And then I went to work on my KJ Works Colt M1911A1. I don't think I went too far and I took it in small steps and my M1911A1 went from this:

http://www.photosgraphein.net/1911_1.jpg

To this:

http://www.photosgraphein.net/1911_1_worn.jpg

I didn't do too much to the slide as the trademarks are printed on and not engraved nor did I do the grips. I'm waiting for some original M1911A1 grips. But I did some edges and where wear and tear normally would occur and I'm actually really satisfied with the result.

Regards,

Jakob Laursen

in the 1st picture, the entire gun had this grainy, textured plastic look. was that just a side-effect of picture taking, or did the aging actually remove that effect?

Btw, I'd just weather the trigger a bit more. I'm glad to see you've remembered to weather it and even paid attention to which side the finger enters the trigger guard from.

Triggers are one of the bits that experience the most wear and tear on a gun.

Some of the other pictures of weathering posted by others seem to show that people forgetting to weather the trigger, esp the M4 that Animale posted.

Otherwise, generally an excellent job by everyone who's posted pics in this thread.

Edited: @neros131: I hope you don't think I'm nitpicking but judging by the level of "wear and tear" you've applied to your AK, the trigger seems too new as well.

Edited by Punkypink
  • 5 months later...

This is amazing!! I plan on trying it out on my cyma ak101.

Just a warning even if you know about it or it has been said already:

Steel wool, from the metal aging affect, starts on fire if tuched by any battery and possibly other electically charged equiptment. If you have an aeg or keep any other batteries around, make sure to move them. You could end up wasting some steel wool or even burning your finger. :flamed:

BUT, if you are finished with the job, it's fun to do it on purpose. Seriously, who doesn't like to start stuff on fire. Just dont try it on a $30 aeg battery- something smaller :D

It works, when i was younger my older bro and I tried it- fun stuff.

Thank you

Safe workings.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How would this method work on something like an AKM, where it has that laminated thing on the wood? Excuse my total lack of knowledge. xD

Since that is a 'plywood' of sorts, it will still work fine because simply weathering the wood wont effect the way the wood is put together if that makes sense.

Looking for some feedback on this:

I weathered my CYMA M14 a bit (probably won't mess with the stock as I don't quite have the time right now and I still need to paint the heat shield brown) but I'm not quite sure if I went too far:

25qya8y.jpg

I based it off this picture:

2jboaj4.jpg

Looks good to me- I would personally go over the exposed aluminum with a light overspray of krylon gunmetal gray or something, very lightly, then rub it in- What I mean is, it is pretty identical to the photo in the book, but aluminum will end up shiny, where as steel will be dull.

Over all, great job i'd say!

• 2 months later...