VSR hop for Tanaka M700 series

8zero8

Thanks for the reply 8zero8 :)

When you say that it puts the hop bucking further into the chamber so you mean that the chamber end of the barrel is located further towards the muzzle (ie for a given outer barrel the PAX hop would use a shorter inner than a tanaka hop) or the opposite? If so, by how much is it different?

What is the length of the PAX nozzle as compared with the tanaka extended nozzles, such as the KA or Forse?

Cheers

Tome

Tom

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does anyone know if this will have any issues fitting the stock barrel on AICS?

do you mean the outer barrel ?

if so, im not sure if the AICS has the big lip my M24 fluted barrel had, you don't really need to use the barrel end that comes with it, you could have a Tanaka Length VSR barrel made and use the stock barrel end,

i juts had mine modified because i spent $60 on a VSR barrel and didnt want to really spend another $90 or so for another VSR barrel :)

do you mean the outer barrel ?

if so, im not sure if the AICS has the big lip my M24 fluted barrel had, you don't really need to use the barrel end that comes with it, you could have a Tanaka Length VSR barrel made and use the stock barrel end,

i juts had mine modified because i spent $60 on a VSR barrel and didnt want to really spend another $90 or so for another VSR barrel  :)

sorry, yes I mean the outerbarrel on the AICS. when using a VSR inner barrel, will it be long enough for the AICS endcap barrel stabilizer to work properly?

well i think the AICS barrel is longer then my Tanaka M24 barrel

the VSR barrel was to short to use the stock end cap on mine, so im guessing it will be to short for the AICS aswell

which is why the VSR chamber kit supplys it with a new end cap, which is alot longer then the stock one to accommodate for the shorter VSR barrel

Thanks for the reply 8zero8 :)

When you say that it puts the hop bucking further into the chamber so you mean that the chamber end of the barrel is located further towards the muzzle (ie for a given outer barrel the PAX hop would use a shorter inner than a tanaka hop) or the opposite? If so, by how much is it different?

What is the length of the PAX nozzle as compared with the tanaka extended nozzles, such as the KA or Forse?

Cheers

Tome

Tom

I only have the stock nozzle to compare with the PAX one. The one supplied is 6mm (estimated) longer than stock.

So, is anyone going to post results? I hope it's not one of those "I had to use .20 KSC bbs because I didn't have SGM's." A lot of people have been waiting for the real word on this...

I'm not trying to be a pain, but I have seen it too often. Good guns and parts getting a bad rep from bad testing. I would hope that the tests would be at 100ft with .29 SGM's indoors. I know that is probably impossible, but hey I can dream.

Looks great, I have been thinking of getting a Tanaka, and this thread is one of things that will help me out...

As long as I am dreaming, why don't we have a person with HPA, .29 SGM's, A pdi 6.01, and a hard firefly bucking do the tests? If only, If only.

In fact, I think we should have standard tests, set range, set ammo, that kind of thing would make airsoft so much better.

I only have the stock nozzle to compare with the PAX one.  The one supplied is 6mm (estimated) longer than stock.

Thanks for that :)

So supposing you've got the newer style stock nozzle that ends past the front of the bolt, the PAX nozzle is designed to push the bb about "6mm" further towards the muzzle. The longer nozzles are supposed to push the bb far enough into the chamber that the bb is under the hop cutout right?

So from this i'd guess i should ask for a barrel that's 6mm or more shorter than i would if i were to use a standard Tanaka hop. Does that sound right to you guys?

Tome

Thanks for that :)

So supposing you've got the newer style stock nozzle that ends past the front of the bolt, the PAX nozzle is designed to push the bb about "6mm" further towards the muzzle. The longer nozzles are supposed to push the bb far enough into the chamber that the bb is under the hop cutout right?

So from this i'd guess i should ask for a barrel that's 6mm or more shorter than i would if i were to use a standard Tanaka hop. Does that sound right to you guys?

Tome

yes

• 2 weeks later...

I just realised something important about getting custom barrel lengths.

The VSR type barrels begin pretty much at the hop cutout, but Tanaka barrels begin some distance before this cutout. Anyone trying to estimate a length for a custom barrel will have to take this into account. So a way of estimating the length needed might be to measure, on the tanaka barrel, the distance from the start of the hop cutout to the muzzle.

Other people have probably figured this out before me but i though i'd post up anyway just in case :)

Jeza - did you get a chance to do any tests?

i havn't done any tests yet, when i got my modified barrel back so it would fit the longer barrel end and installed it, i had problems with power, turned out my magazine was leaking so i havnt been able to do it yet.

the nozzle comes with a restrictor inside it which you can screw out (part of the nozzle is threaded and the restrictor part has a slot in it for a screw driver) so you can change the nozzle from post ban to pre ban

its a shame ive had all these problems i really wanted to get some results up for everyone so they know if its any good or not

(same post I have in the Tanaka thread)

Those with using the VSR hop units, don't bother with the firefly buckings. They don't provide enough hop and are not that consitant in terms of stability. Just stick with a stock VSR or laylax purple bucking.

Results from today

77-80 degrees (whatever hawaii temp is)

547fps on Abbey Predator gas

APS grand-master bbs

I was able to make 80 meter shots to the corrugated piece of metal 3x3. Shots were straight, no float or lift. If I increased the hop, I would be able to reach 90-100 meters but shots will be less constant because of wind.

Also, I spoke with Troy from PAX about using the hop units on the new L96 from Tanaka. He did NOT check himself but it should work since they did not change the chamber design. He recommends using a 590 AEG barrel for better fitment.

Any others intersted in purchasing these hop units I still have a few available. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I've installed a Pax hop and noticed something quite annoying.

Because the new nozzle is so wide (to make a good seal between the hop packing) unless I angle the nozzle slightly to the right, it will hit the back of the magazine's left lip. Does anyone else have trouble with cycling the bolt?

I had a shoot with it in game yesterday but it was far too windy so no useful results as at all :(

Tried the sample we had sent from Pax today. I put it into a bog standard Tanaka M40A1 PCS along with a Madbull cut down PSG-1 barrel and the standard VSR hop rubber.

Using .36 straight BB's I was hitting a man sized target at 75m in the chest 9 times out of 10.

Spend the pennies you will not regret it.

Archived