the best parts of airsoft

he's in the bushes!!!

As a bit of a tinkerer one of the best parts of airsoft for me thats not directly game related is when you build a gun and on pulling it out your gun bag someone goes "Holy schnikies that looks awesome!" - course that was before all these free float front ends were available cheaply, not that I'm complaining because my M4 is still fairly unique for something wrapped in sticklebrick.

And if its not appearance, its performance whether its people on my team (or the opposition) going "Jesus Christ..." at the ROF/range & accuracy on my M4 (and then getting people going "How do I make my gun shoot like that?") or shooting someone 20ft away with a single shot from my L85 and because of the weak spring/good shimming/greasing/dynomat your opponent's buddy is completely oblivious to your presence as you line up the next shot on him in your own time.

I suppose to an extent, a technical edge will give you a tactical edge as well as the flexibility to engage in different play styles (M4 is aggressive, L85 for when I want to play things in a more calculating manner), but purely on an individual basis and by no means makes you any better a player if you can't adapt to the situation at hand before anyone accuses me of bragging :unsure:

But, the ability to ask the question "What can I build/make better next?" with almost limitless options or 'profiles' (CQB rof monster? Noise demon? Silent killer? Long range DMR? Jack of all trades carbine?) is what I personally place at the top of my 'best bits' list.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I know someone said when you first ever go to a skirmish site was their favorite part, but I'll be honest - I was terrified when I had to do that a year ago. All those vets, with all their gear...against me, 3 friends, and our two-tones.

But, after 20mins in the safe zone, all was fine. Infact, one of the guys asked me to have a go with my R85, which I thought was hilarious, considering his gear :lol:

But yeah, the banter. And other players. Walking out to the first game, a guy told my mate (who was wearing a ski helmet & goggles) "oi mate, yer in the wrong bleddy hill!" And all the exeperiance they guys gave us - what to/not buy, good loadouts, tactics and just general conversation. One guy in particular, who I ended up being in a squad with didn't seem to mind he'd been stuck with a complete idiot like me. Completely different from the paintball world which I came from, which was a case of 'shut up, get on with it' or telling 9 year old who to shoot...

The first time I got medic'd too. I'd been hit in open ground and was lying down - and a guy with an M249 grabs me by the colar and drags me back into cover, whilst firing the M249 in one hand. Nothing like the way my friends had practiced at their farm - just stand really still, even if you're still being shot at.

The science behind it.

all guns are a playground of mechanics and quirks and thus a dream to sit, tinker and figure out " How the heck did they come to this conclusion"

I enjoy it too much.

First gun I seriously tinkered with was a this horribly man-handled Maruzen CA870. she was bought DOA with the previous owner taking a fat hit on the price. I opened her up, spent HOURS watching the parts work by themselves and with each other. I later got it working by Epoxying some material to some bit ( its been awhile) and got it to work.

One of my greatest airsoft moments ever.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Set up a 2 man crossfire ambush in the dark last weekend, it was so perfect, they where so confused about where the shots where coming from it took a group of them a couple of respawns to clear us out.

Archived