''Noob''

blueprint

First off i’m sorry, I know you must hear this a hell of a lot. Right well i’m new to airsoft and seeing as I started at a bad time I only had enough time/money to buy one gun (and the mask, bbs etc) so I got a sniper (warrior mk2 l96). Before you all say ‘you should of got an AEG to start’ I don’t want to hear it. I can do the whole running around get shot at and using all my ammo on full auto at paintball, been there done that. I would rather be able to sit back and reach people with a few well placed shots. I don’t care if that sounds stupid but being on my own picking off opponents has always appealed to me more.

Ok now for the point of this thread. Is it essential for me to buy a ghillie suit or camo and paint up my gun etc. Personally I don’t care but I wanted your opinions. Can I just find some cover, a few leaves etc and be ok or do I need to go spending money on making a ghillie and krylon? Bear in mind I wont be taking it serious at first, ill mostly be plinkering? In my garden. Cheers to anyone who read all of that, appreciate any answers.

~Blue

First off, welcome to arnies, and welcome to airsoft!

your new to the sport, so I wouldn't be too concerned about painting or ghillie suits- as you continue with the game, you MAY want to, but they really aren't necessary as such-

Some of the best snipers I've come up up against have been the ones who've learnt how to use natural cover to their advantage without the use of any artificial aids- its more of a skill, in my opinion, to go unnoticed than it is to conceal yourself.

just my thoughts :)

if you are just plinking then you won't need to go crazy on cammo etc. but if you do take it seriuosly then you will need a small ghillie even if it is some random foliage stuck on you because it will break up your outline. as for the gun there is not much point in painting it if you don't take it very seriously you could just wrap some green stuff around it.

hope that helps

cheers

jack

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yeah for the moment it will be plinking in my garden and getting a few lucky shots at GZ. Perhaps if I get into it more then ill look at investing in a ghillie or at least some decent camo. When I do play I will probably use some leaves/grass/whatever is lying around where i’m playing. Ta.

~Blue

again, I'd be cautious about the word "need" when applied to sniping, or any aspect of airsoft.

While they certainly add an advantage, you don't need them to have a good experience with sniping.

Like any aspect of airsoft, it is what you personally give to the game, rather than what you carry, that counts.

well even if you are just plinking, then defo get this before going in with the whole hog or a ghillie suit =

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

( on the top right hand side of the page there is a search bar, seach for "ghillie" and it is the only option on the subsequent page )

its cheap, effective, light and you are left with loads of spare bits of camo string/scrim

for your rifle

Camo is not as nearly important as being in a good hiding spot in the first place. I can wear normal gear (DCU, vest, boonie hat) and be nearly invisible to an enemy coming from a certain angle if I'm in the right spot. A leafy hillside and behind a tree is perfect for covering a high path in one field I play in. Although ghillie and such would help with disguising me from _all_ angles, as long as you set yourself up correctly, you'll be alright. Someone to help ensure you don't get shot in the *albartroth* or just give support fire is also helpful.

Heavy ghillie, in my opinion, is more hassle than is worth the benefits, unless you're playing in some large sniper event. If you're going to be outranging most of your opponents, forget it, especially with that aforementioned good cover.

Of course, if you do opt to go extreme with the ghillie, it's always best to make it yourself. Something as simple as netting and loops to tie natural vegetation to can work wonders.

i agree with the above people you dont "need" to paint your gun or get a ghillie suit learning to use natrual vegitation is the best way forward then when you do finally get a ghillie suit it will be second nature to you and make you even more invisible

a few tins of krylon wont cost much but bear in mind if you want it to stick and to stay stuck you need to flat the rifle down and degrease it but also bear in mind if you paint it green for skirmishing in a lush woodland then you go to a game in autum when everything is brown and yellow your rifle is gonna stick out like a sore thumb

my advive would be buy a smock to cover your rifle and stuff it with local flora and fauna

remeber a cool rifle and a ghillie might make you look like a sniper but without the knowlege of movment and how to hide your just another skirmisher

welcome welcome welcome btw you'll love airsoft its well kewl

Wow, thanks for all the info and advice guys! Looks like i’m going to start off with basic clothing and use any natural vegetation around me and find a few good spots to hide. Yeah to me some ghillies look super heavy and unnecessary, plus the fact you might not always feel a bb at the end of its path through them (so i’m told). A gun cover sounds like a good idea, something that’s not permanent but that I can add natural foliage to whatever the season. Great help there guys thanks a lot. Oh and yeah I like airsoft already and haven’t eve shot anyone yet ;)

~Blue

To echo what has allready been said

gun doesnt matter, gear doesnt matter much.

If your a person that is going to blame your rifle, teammates, gear, ect. every time you get killed, by all means spend a fortune on everything and then quit sniping when you are still terrible, its a pitfall most new snipers make and gets us experienced ones cheap 2nd hand stuff! :)

Experience, patience, thats all you need, period.

The single most valuable thing you will need to learn in Airsoft is estimating ranges and keeping well hidden OUTSIDE of AEG full-auto range.

This gives you an extra shot or two before taking return fire from your targets team mates.

I good recommendation to start would be to get a Ghillie Hood. Full ghillie suits in airsoft are good, but rather impractical when compared to torso / head covers, which free up your legs giving more freedom. Also, when your prone / crouched, ghillie hood or torso cover will cover the majority of your outline.

P.S Welcome =)

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/8...hopscr3158.html

Whoo. I don't know if it's just me, but 38 pounds seems a little steep for some mesh, polyester edges, and elastic. Sometimes, do it yourself might be easier on the wallet, especially in this case. I'm sure that even if you purchased those materials from a crafts store, you wouldn't spend that much. You'd just have to get those straps right.

you can go ahead and spend ages making a ghillie suit, but the concealment vest is very simple and extremely effective. i think making a concealment vest may be a hassle and quite difficult, but it coule be done i suppose. also dont buy from there. u can get them cheaper. i think i picked mine up for like 25 quid

Well this is IMHO. I think the designated marksman role and sniper role get confused. If you are going to go out in bdus and a long rifle (woodland of course) I think your more or less a DM but if your in a ghillie suit stalking and what not then your a sniper. But as long as you have fun in what your doing thats what's most important. I would recommend to learn how to walk on the heels of your feet through leaves and make your own ghillie. Personally I think somone could snipe with a CYMA see through pistol if they practiced enough field craft. Depending on your area one of the concealment vest might be better suited for you although I prefer a whole ghillie suit. But practice range estimation and field craft since marksmanship is usually the easy part. Best of luck.

To echo what has allready been said

gun doesnt matter, gear doesnt matter much.

If your a person that is going to blame your rifle, teammates, gear, ect. every time you get killed, by all means spend a fortune on everything and then quit sniping when you are still terrible, its a pitfall most new snipers make and gets us experienced ones cheap 2nd hand stuff! :)

Experience, patience, thats all you need, period.

TRUTH :P

If your starting out I would spend as little as possible and use as little as possible, then buy kit that you think would help you.

With regards ghillie suits I wouldn't recommend using them to start with (I gamed 2 or 3 years before using them). They are less useful in faster paced games with many players IMHO. They become alot more useful in games where you would game in smaller groups or alone for longer periods of time.

Good choice on the more skilled calculated side of the sport :o .... Enjoy!

Happy Hunting ;)

Archived