Airsoft in the rain

Inq Eisenhorn

Layer it up and you'll be fine. My usual wet weather setup is:

Moisture wicking t shirt

Softshell fleece (waterproof)

Thicker hunting fleece (also waterproof)

Smock (Not waterproof)

Waterproof fleece-lined gloves

Standard trousers (not waterproof)

Goretex overtrousers (waterproof)

Sealskinz socks (Waterproof)

Dessie boots (not waterproof)

Fleece is great - even when it's wet it keeps you warm.

As for equipment, if it's REALLY bucketing it down your hop-up will stop being as effective, and if you have a MOSFET (as most of my guns do) you'll want to try and keep your gun dry.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah okay then :) but it wouldn't be like "ZOMG WATER" *bang goes the gearbox* or whatever?

Come to think of it, in the two years I've had the gun, it's been stripped down once, for a spring change. It's never ever been cleaned internally and I've played in all weathers with it ... oopsie ... And I've left the outer body and barrel covered in mud for the last two and a half months :P

The one or two times in the rain for me have always been fun. Especially as the newer players and the geardos will be hiding in the bunkers so a bit of flash and clear is always good fun.

But the only issue i find is gun range, which considering i play with pistols, reduces me to truly up close. But at least it affects all players so gives an equal chance.

'FireKnife'

Rain is *fruitcage* awesome. I love it and especially when other players whinge about it - my morale is higher - theirs is lower - me more likely to get 'em ^_^

That's because you're a spacey and being weird is a requirement.

;)

Crazy, war-y bunch of *bramston pickles*...

Ah okay then :) but it wouldn't be like "ZOMG WATER" *bang goes the gearbox* or whatever?

You can fire AEG's under water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0bGkyd3PZQ&playnext=1&list=PL73B01757D24F7791

Should you submerge it? Preferably not, but if you're up for the prerequisite extensive drying, cleaning and maintenance afterwards then crack on. Much unlike a real gun, in that those will blow up in your face when wet, but on the other hand are easy to clean and dry.

Being a space cadet is the best! It's just a shame I've only got six months left in the Corps. :(

I'm one of the rare few on my sqn with any sort of obsession interest in fieldcraft too. I'm also planning on joining the Army as an ossifer not the RAF ... well maybe the Regiment ;)

I'd keep the weapon above the water line, I'm just more worried about magazines, speed loader (which would then of course contaminate the internal parts of my magazines and then AEG), spare battery, pistol and grenades in my PLCE.

Well, if your magazines get full of water then the hop rubber will end up soaked and your range and accuracy will be all over the shop, the speed loader being submerged will end up having the same issues as the mags with water in them: poor shooting characteristics.

Spare battery would probably be ok provided the heatshrink around it is in good condition, though you'd probably want to dry off the connectors before using it, not 100% on that one. Pistol, I'd say drop the mag, lock the slide back and give it a good shake then make ready again, taking care not to double feed, should be alright. As for grenades, well disposable cardboard ones will get pretty *fruitcage*ed, AI tornadoes and other reusable types should be ok, again provided you strip apart and clean them after the game.

Okay perhaps no river crossings for me then except for just with gun and a single magazine only, cheers for the advice

Be a man, strip off the AEG, mags, speedloaders, pistol, gas mags, grenade and webbing and go in with a rubber knife. At least that can't get destroyed by the wet and you will have something to brag about B).

Nearly did that in my time, a cheap springer and a knife in a brown river of mud to sneak up on the enemy. Too bad game got called then after lunch the rain stopped and it had drained away to a medium sized puddle.

'FireKnife'

• 2 weeks later...

Played last Sunday in record-setting downpour here in SoCal. By the end there was not a single part of me that wasn't cold, wet, sore, and splattered in mud. But I have to say it was some of the most fun I've ever had playing the game.

It took about two hours of separating out gear and drying it when I got home, which wasn't so fun, but oh well.

i have to admit im really looking forward to getting my soft on in some heavy terrential rain!! im new to the sport but i love the rain and as a rugby player whos played in all weathers over the last 15 years, i know this is going to be great fun.

i even smile to myself when im back home seperating my kit to wash and dry out depending on whats covered in mud, i take pride knowing i got well and truely covered in mud :-) BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!!

• 3 weeks later...

Keep a spare set of clothes in the car, and it'll be fine. Airsofting distracts me enough to ignore the rain - it's driving home when saturated that annoys me.

That said, I was at Combat South Urban in March and it was hammering it down. Everyone was fighting in the cover of the mortar pit, while I was laying over the crows nest in a puddle of mud, picking people off with my AUG. Only problem I found on that game was water getting on the scope.

I think last september we had a game that might as well have been submerged. In fact we had to call it off after lunch as it was so wet there was risk of people slipping/getting stuck in the mud. Just as well, because my gearbox was starting to rust.

Didn't care though, for atmosphere it was awesome, and all the fun people were still out running about while all the geardo regulars were trying to find as much cover as possible to huddle under and keep their precious kit dry. No greater pleasure than sneaking up on a dude who is trying to shuff together a bed of leaves so his multicam doesn't get dirty.

I'm no stranger to being out in the rain for hours at a time. Crappy issued rain gear thats f*cked after an hour, which was then thrown in the duece, then another couple of hours spent drenched before lighting within 5 was called. That didn't bother me to much, so rain during a game ain't no reason for me to fret, I like it. Last game I attended in Louisiana before gettign transfered to Italy it rained and drizzled the entire time. My PCU Level 6 actually was starting to let water through it's shell, which is waterproof not just resistant. High crawling up a drenched hill, being shot at while dashing through the trees, water falling from the limbs above, boots still wet 2 days later, the stuff of awesomeness.

That game was among my top 3 games while I was in louisiana.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love airsoft in the rain... even better when its just a few heavy drops, as it plays havok with peoples senses and you can sneek around really easy in the forest.

But my EBR totally hates the rain. I always get a burning smell and have had a blown motor already this year as the cage that holds the motor is quite exposed... you can see the motor connectors if you look closely and there is plenty of gaps for water to get through. But its a litte to heavy to lug around in the mud anyway...

So i don't risk it anymore, i just run with my ICS MP5 which just keeps on going and going. Nice and light in the rain.

Archived