Airsoft in the rain

Inq Eisenhorn

Ok, I know there's a topic about airsoft in the snow...and I didn't want to hi-jack that thread....so out of respect I started my own! :D

I've been lucky so far, as I have never had to report in wet conditions anywhere, but now winter is approaching and "summer" has passed, I've started wondering about what gear is best for wet conditions....

More importantly how to protect my AEG in wet conditions? I'm not sure if the gear box, battery compartment or motor housings are designed to be water-proof!

Any suggestions and pointers very welcome!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just make sure you clean the gun thoroughly when you finish playing. Ive never had a problem so far :0 Also make sure your comfortable and warm makes for a more fun day. I like to wear the gortex jacket under my combat smock means im nice and dry warm.

I've played in the rain several times without any problems with my AEG. The important thing to remember is that AEGs are electrical not electronic and are fairly resistant to damp. That is not to say that you can take them swimming and still expect them to work.

In terms of clothing I tend to wear what I normally do but make sure I have a dry sweatshirt or something to put on between games to stay warm. The one thiong I have found is that the majority of people seem to prefer to stay on main paths during wet days and less inclined to crawl through bushes. I must be one of the few people who enjoy getting wet!

some of the best games i have played have been when its rainin, one was a night game in woodland it was like bein in nam tryin to work if that noise was rain or movment the atmosfear was so good, aeg was fine and just wear nomal camo inbrase the rain it wont hurt you

i dont mind playing in the rain so long as the temprature isn't 2 degrees i've found my aeg'd work just fine in the wet my mask tends to steam up though

but unfortunatly when it rains most people tend to sit the games out untill the rain has passed which usually means a 5 a side skirmish while everyone else is sat in the safezone keeping dry :(

rain sucks for airsoft, really ruins a lot of the fun.

1) Everything gets muddy and messed up

2) GBB's are as useful as throwing a wet paper towel at your opponent

3) If your unfortunate and some rain makes it into the hop unit, or the gearbox... then it can cause issues.

Just not worth the hassle in my opinion =)

I think the problem with GBB's is not so much the rain as the cold. I always had problems with this until I switched to using a shoulder holster; wearing it inside my jacket meant the mags where kept in my armpit which often rises to temperatures that would rival the surface of the sun! :D

I agree with 'bushes' (is that a valid abbreviation?) that the rain is easy to ignore, as long as it is not freezing. On the other hand there is little better that finding a country pub with a fire after a cold day at a game to warm up in (even better if someone else is driving).

I've not played in the rain yet - but plenty of layers / gortex everything and some common sense should work out fine. (ie: change of clothes / shoes for journey home etc).

I think it'd be quite cool, possable slow the game down a little, but I like a slower game rather then just running for it.

Who am I trying to kid - myself probably. We all know winters coming soon so I'll justify it to myself first......

Goretex Boots or a goretex sock helps out

Is you are really worried about using an aeg, the only parts that can be a worry are the gaps between the pistol grip and lower receiver and the gap between stock and buttstock(if you battery is there). In both cases a quick few layers of duct tape solves it.

But honestly ive played in the rain and didnt worry about it a bit. I dont see why GBB' are affected by precipitation unless you use 134a, or unless it is that cold out.

I usually have to switch to shooting glasses if its raining, nothing can prevent fogging. I dont know how rain will make it into your gearbox or hopup but unless its alot then it shouldnt do anything.

And if you dont like everything wet and muddy, you shouldnt be out there.

I think the rain is fun, my AK looked great encrusted with dirt :D Did have to WD40 it after though or it would rust (Steel :P ). I know what your going to say about that, but i removed the internals before i did it and made all the precautions so it was fine.

after my expiences in the rain i have to say i prefer it to dry weather. dont know why, just feels more... sureal i guess. mesh masks are a must (allitaration always amuses me. see what i did there) cuz of fogging, and so as not to annoy anyone giving you a lift home, take an extra set of clothes and definitly some spare shoes. also take a couple bin bags for wet and muddy kit to go in, sort it out when you get home.

as for AEGs in the rain, no problems for me so far. ive seen someone take a stock tm AUG under water, come up and start firing it. worked fine although firing it underwater wont be so good for it IMO

I love wet skirmishes. I think the rain makes the atmosphere, especially in longer games, much more intense and generally adds to the experience.

Best advice for staying dry? well, my advice would be to invest in a pair of boots that are waterproof. wear your BDUs OUTSIDE of your boots, i.e. dont tuck them into your boots. A waterproof jacket is a must, and probably a wide brimmed bush hat just to stop the rain water running down your face and neck.

Sure you might get a bit damp and muddy. But then thats why people play outdoors

Tucking the trousers inside boots is stupid in any case. One should use trouser blousers. :)

The thing that kills my joy of skirmishing in the rain is that I should use mesh goggles to see anything clearly. Glad gore-tex rainsuits are advanced enough nowadays to prevent getting soaked and still remain pretty comfortable.

I've played airsoft in some pretty foul weather, the one day event at Copehill Down in October 2004 springs to mind on that score. I don't worry about my AEGs one little as far as rain is concerned, obviously you're not going to immerse your AEG in water but rain, even when heavy really isn't a problem.

As for myself some good quality military issue goretex is the best way to go but if it's not cold then I don't even bother with that I just make sure I keep up the hot drinks and have some warm & dry stuff to put on back in the safe zone for lunchtime etc.

I know you guys have said the AEGs should be fine, but I still might bag em' when the rain comes.....

As far as good Goretex is concerned...££££ have you seen the cost of that stuff.....I think I'll go the Snipers poncho and hope for the best!! :)

Cheers guys.

I've never planned to skirmish in the rain but, well, I live in the UK.. 'nuff said? :P

Rain won't harm you nor your gear. Play in sensible boots but only wear as many layers as you need to fend off the chill - heavy/thick layers might seem a great idea but they'll end up being even heavier and soggy after the first game.

Take a change of clothes, a towel and plastic bags to keep your dry stuff dry and pack your wet stuff into at the end of the day.

As far as gun care goes.. make sure AEG wiring is well insulated and GBBs are kept warm.

Oh.. and have fun. The less you let the rain bother you the more fun it is!!

I would be more concerned about keeping clear lenses than getting an AEG ruined with rain.

Perhaps a good dousing of rain-x or equivalent (I hear freshly cut apples/raw potatoes work well too)...

Paint (from 'ballin') ruins lenses like nothing else...can't wipe it, cuz it'll get all over. hafta wipe it, cuz I can't see...

As far as good Goretex is concerned...££££ have you seen the cost of that stuff.....I think I'll go the Snipers poncho and hope for the best!! :)

Cheers guys.

You can get a Gortex type suit (Jacket and over trousers) for abut £40.00 it's exactly the same just doesn't say Gortex. (Another brand - all DPM though)

:)

Archived