14mm thread DOESN'T lock

Domz

Yup, the thread on my G36k barrel extender doesn't lock to the main outer barrel... When I twist it on it gets near the end and keeps twisting past lock without getting at all tight enough to stay on, and it can even pull past the thread as I found out accidentally.

Dunno what caused it though I havent been battering it or overtwisting it as I can think. Maybe the flashider got knocked or something..

Any ideas on making it stay now? Threadlock? Isn't that basically glue? Dont really want to buy a whole new outer barrel, any way to tell if its just the extender or the outer barrel which is worn?

(lol, the flash hider on the other hand won't come off but havent tried drastic measures yet...)

Did a search but its too general a term.

So your thread has stripped?

Is it the thread on the barrel or on the extender...or both?

As a lot of guns use poor quality metal, and the threads are usually quite fine, they are prone to this, particularly on something that's fitted/removed regularly.

PTFE tape can help, go for the gas type rather than the plumbers (water) type, it's thicker and tougher.

Another option maybe to drill and tap two or three holes for grubscrews to secure it. I'm not familiar with the G36 (yet) so can't comment specifically on precise cures :unsure:

Pictures would help...

As a lot of guns use poor quality metal, and the threads are usually quite fine, they are prone to this, particularly on something that's fitted/removed regularly.

I was hoping (well, not hoping really) that it wasnt ONLY me...

Was getting pics but I couldn't get a good angle of the inside which is the one which is probably busted, male bit looks fine.

Its the bit between the extender and the main outer barrel in the hand guard.

Looks like tape it is, tapping a hole there I don't trust myself with :P Although I could copy it off my ICS M4 which has that for the flashider...

EDIT:

mix_20071007_233.jpg

mix_20071007_232.jpg

mix_20071007_231.jpg

Best I can get right now :unsure:Fairly blurry but might be enough

It looks like the internal threads (2nd+3rd pics) are OK, with the external ones, you can see the tops of the threads are gone (they're rounded instead of pointed)

There is still plenty of 'meat' left in the threadform itself though, so the PTFE tape should work OK. As I mentioned earlier, go for the gas tape for it's thickness.

Another problem with the threads on some Airsoft guns is that they're not made to tight tolerances, so they can be fairly 'loose' (the internal threads are slightly oversize or the externals are slightly undersize...or both) so there is minimal 'overlap' where the teeth meet, meaning they slip past each other easily.

You can tell if you're likely to have this problem if the parts still move about (relative to each other) when the threads are almost fully done up.

Archived