Pistol position

Charly Driver

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried various things over the last 6 months and found that a drop-leg was the best thing all-round. The problem with a belt mounted one is that it will get in the way of your webbing and body armour, which is annoying and makes it hard to draw. You can stick it on your webbing if you've got a MOLLE holster but that means your leaving your pistol unattended so you have to take your webbing everywhere.

Plus drop-legs look cool! My Safariland was worth every penny. Anyone who uses a holster regularly should consider investing in one!

i have found that a drop works best for me. a belt holster always seems to ride a bit into my side, which is uncomfortable. cross draw is something i almost utter despise as i find myself belly crawling a lot. shoulder holsters are ok, except i really do find it a bit worrisome that i have to muzzle flash anyone who is in front of my.

Doesn't seem like anybody else has mentioned it yet, so here it goes: DO NOT even think about using a small-of-the-back holster.

If you fall on your back while wearing one, it will most likely crack one of your lower vertebra. Worst case scenario: it kills you. Best cast scenario: you end up paralysed for the rest of your life.

Its simply not worth the risk.

I'm going to have to totaly disagree with you there, you're wearing the pistol very low when you use a SOB, your "worst case scenario" does not fit because the only way you could die is if you damage the cervical spine. In less you swiss chaps wear your trousers around your neck there's little chance of that.

if i'm playing a game with a rifle as well as my pistol i will use my drop leg, the reason is that i draw a pistol as if i was left handed but fire a rifle right handed, so if i drop my rifle on its sling it goes down my right side ready for my hand to daw from the left.

if its a pistol only game, it has to be a SOB holster, its out for 3/4 of the game anyway, and i like the fact that your body has a natural curved "pocket" there already.

one last note on the "breaking of the spine issue" if by some evil mirical you fell backward over something with a lip that was able to push your pistol inward bending your spine over it with enough force to be paralized i would say you where most unlucky, i have personaly never heard of a singe case and i know that to this day, many American and British agencys use them.

(as a side note excuse my hedious spelling mistakes, since they changed the forum i cannot for the life of me find the spell checker, anyone know where its gone?)

i have personaly never heard of a singe case and i know that to this day, many American and British agencys use them.

Actually, several US agencies have banned wearing them right behind the spine exactly because of the risk I described. Just Google it.

EDIT: make my post a bit clearer.

blacknight: It helps to read other responses to the thread before posting a heap of rambling. Alpha54 was only warning against having the SOB holster right behind the spine, because that's dangerous. However, behind the spine is not how agencies and the majority of other users wear them: The holster is more towards the strong hand, and no part of the pistol or the holster is in line with the spine.

It was a perfectly sound warning, and you come off as an *albatross* for disagreeing with it "totaly", as you put it. (BTW. it's "totally".)

But yeah, belt is faster than dropleg.

I agree with the first half of the post, and was glad somebody pointed out the ruleset for ISPC, looking at them for "personal preference" isn't the best frame of reference....

I will disagree with the belt being faster than a dropleg though. If nothing else, The "Wild West" wouldn't have seen the variety of low-slung, quick draw holsters that it did. Few "outlaws" or "gunslingers" wore them on the belt, as the full arm swing to clear the holster and bring it to bear is faster than bending at the elbow to bring the hand to the hip, shrugging the shoulder up to draw the pistol and then extending the arm to fire is a more complex action.

There are a lot posts saying that "droplegs suxorz cuz they bounce and move around when I run." You need to spend the money on a QUALITY RIG. They are night and day differences. The junky under $30US "universal" drop legs are "universally krapola." I will whole heartedly agree that they will bounce around and slide all over and are for garbage.

Spend the money on a SERPA, or a Safariland, or another solid platform. THEN ADJUST IT TO FIT YOU. My SERPA simply does not move on my leg. I run, roll, belly crawl, jump, slide down hills, whatever and it is in the same spot all the time. The gun doesn't bounce against my leg or move out of position, it is always ready to draw.

People have already stated that hip/belt carrying can get in the way of vests/chest rigs/ plate-carriers. I agree. But taking it a step further, Having the drop-leg allows you to dump your CIRAS, Weestach, Tac Vest, whatever, and still have your backup with you.

That's my input and opinions, you don't have to like it, and I'm not trying to pee on anybody's corn flakes, just sharing friendly-like. :D:)

I agree with the first half of the post, and was glad somebody pointed out the ruleset for ISPC, looking at them for "personal preference" isn't the best frame of reference.

You can still prove with IPSC methods (timer), that making a transition from a long arm to the handgun, or drawing from any other position than hands by the side, is faster with a belt holster. Droplegs are only faster than belt holsters when you let your hands hang by your sides - when exactly are you in that position in a skirmish or combat? If you use another primary, you won't have hands hanging down. If the handgun is your primary, it's already out of the holster in your hands when you need it.

I will disagree with the belt being faster than a dropleg though. If nothing else, The "Wild West" wouldn't have seen the variety of low-slung, quick draw holsters that it did.

Are you referring to actual historical data here? Because I've understood those droplegs and other super-fast rigs are mostly the product of romanticized Hollywood and comic books, and those holsters were actually not favoured by many. A "wild west shoot-out" would usually happen by surprise or ambush, instead of having a manly duel on the main street of the town.

-Sale

Archived