Pistol position

Charly Driver

I voted Belt. It's the best for me and that's what counts.

After that: Shoulder Holster (I use to do that, but with webbing & camelback things tend to get tangled up taking them off)

Drop Leg for me doesn't work, the holster and pistol fly around and knock me in the leg and are generally a pain to deal with.

I haven't ever done an inverse belt or chest, I don't think they'd work very well.

There is one type that I've been curious to try that wasn't listed. A vertical shoulder holster on the weak side. Which would force a cross draw. But this would lead to the whole mulitple straps on the shoulder thing again, so I haven't tried it yet.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use a thigh holster, because I use an ALICE kit and I don't really have any other comfortable place to put it...

If I had a MOLLE vest I may switch to belt/chest... not sure which. I imagine belt would be a bit difficult with the jacket going over my belt...

Tuck your shirt in.

Thigh holster, it works for me.

Get a good one though, I bought a Guarder Tornado holster few months ago and it is excellent. It can be adjusted to fit other pistols and it fits my TM MK23 perfectly. It has a velcro strip that covers the pistol's barrel when it's holstered, keeping dirt and sand out of the barrel. Well worth 30 bucks if you want a nice thigh holster.

I find thigh holsters very uncomfortable, and they always tend to slip on me, especially when I'm running. I use shoulder holsters only now. When fitted well, I've never worn any holster as comfortable as this, and I find it easiest to draw my sidearm from as I don't have overly long arms, so reaching down to my knees is a difficulty.

Used shoulder holster before. Would use one again in 'plainsclothes' setup. The current 'field' setup is Soldier 95 Assault Vest with it's integrated holster on the left-side pocket.

But I don't carry a sidearm that often, since that isn't the norm for either UK forces (Soldier 95) or Finnish (my 'native' military training...)

As much as I enjoy the thought and feel of a thigh-holster...in most situations I have to agree with the belt holster. However, I'm a federal agent, so my primary concern is weapon retention...a belt mounted pistol is much easier to defend than a drop-leg...and again when you go into emergency muscle responses, you do bring your arms up into a ready position, even people who aren't trained. If I had on a big vest with lots o' mags and kit, and carried a long-arm constantly...and did not expect to encounter opposition too close, I would imagine a thigh-rig is reasonable.

For that very reason I may wear one in airsoft for fun...but I prefer belt thus far...my concealed carries (inside and outside pants) are both on the back of right hip...not exactly small of back, and not on my side - pretty comfy. I find an fbi-cant helps a lot with a draw from that location though.

Now the fastest drawing holster I have for my Steyr is simply a rang holster...its a blade-tech level 1, no cant, but it has the service angle built in, and has a very serpa-like front construction...thats extremely fast and easy for shooting at the range...with no threats.

Never tried a shoulder holster...might look to get one as I cant comfortable wear my concealed carries with my suit (the one or two times a year I have to wear it)

Poll is fu-bared for me!?

Anyhow I'd vote for belt.

I used to use a drop-leg holster for my G19 (a Guarder but dont remember for definate) - it was a good fit and didnt move around too much but I never found it particularly comfortable.

When I was in the US a friend of mine had a really neat concealed carry holster for his real steel Glock 17 which fit in the small of his back. It looked very comfortable and I fancied trying one for skirmishing, but they're not easy to find and I wasn't overly convinced they would be easy to draw from. Anyone tried one?

When I was in the US a friend of mine had a really neat concealed carry holster for his real steel Glock 17 which fit in the small of his back. It looked very comfortable and I fancied trying one for skirmishing, but they're not easy to find and I wasn't overly convinced they would be easy to draw from. Anyone tried one?

My mate can draw and shoot an aimed shot in 0.9 seconds from an Inside-The-Waistband holster, covered with a vest IDPA style.

Takes some practicing, though. ;)

-Sale

Doesn't seem like anybody else has mentioned it yet, so here it goes: DO NOT even think about using a small-of-the-back holster.

If you fall on your back while wearing one, it will most likely crack one of your lower vertebra. Worst case scenario: it kills you. Best cast scenario: you end up paralysed for the rest of your life.

Its simply not worth the risk.

I don't know exactly does small of back cover the spine, but I agree: Never wear anything on your belt over the spine. I know of a case, where the combination cop + angry person + street + handcuffs under the spine, resulted in one paralyzed ex-cop.

A bit forward of that position provides a better concealment anyways.

-Sale

Doesn't seem like anybody else has mentioned it yet, so here it goes: DO NOT even think about using a small-of-the-back holster.

If you fall on your back while wearing one, it will most likely crack one of your lower vertebra. Worst case scenario: it kills you. Best cast scenario: you end up paralysed for the rest of your life.

Its simply not worth the risk.

Aren't they supposed to fit off-centre, above the buttocks, rather than over the spine. That's certainly where my friend had his anyway - the Glock was immediately behind the back pocket of his pants; "left for cash, right for kickass" as he put it. :P

Always on the belt, otherwise I can't find it when I need it :rolleyes: , but I would prefer an offset drop on it. It's just damn difficult to find a holster like that, for a Hi-capa 5.1. So it will be a Hillsman Holster some time next year instead of the old trusty serpa.

keep mine on the leg but i've had to clean mud out of it no end of times. Would much prefer it on shoulder or on chest. these seem to be less likely to get into some mud or in the way of me. The thigh holster just gets annoying after a while. And another thing why can't they make holster without velcro, i'm trying to be stealthy here!! Enemy creeping past, can't turn main gun, so go for pistol, ckckckckckck blam i'm dead

Archived