Curious sold me a broken ipod!

pronteer

Bascially, Curious sent me a broekn ipod and is refusing the accept responsibility.

he has now been offline for more than 2 days, normally he is online everyday.

i\'m not saying he is a scammer but he is definately not being co-operative.

this is a WARNING to all NOT to deal with him for the time being.

wait til my problem is solved

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious was last online on 11th October, as displayed in his profile. Have you contacted him about it other than by pm?

No other posts have been created since then with the same IP.

I also notice you spammed the hell out of his sale thread about it, which I will now remove. You've now found the appropriate place for such posts.

thanks for the advice bangla, but looks liek mods here are on the ball

pablo....yeh sorry abt te spamming, it was a mistake, but that *beep* really deserves it

i have tried to contact him on here and on ascuk, but to no avail

i do have his address, but dont know when i will find time to go down there

i think i may just go to the police

mate, he normally comes on around twice a day, all of a sudden he hast been on for 7 days?

also, i sent him emails regarding this

and i contacted him on ascuk, and since then, he's not been online

and, i know someone in the police, so it WILL get done, that's not an issue.

the only thing is, i really wanted to see this *fruitcage* *badgeress*'s face for myself. pardon my french.

Wow, I can truly say this has descended into the most SHAMBOLIC deal I have ever had. Fact.

I was going to put this in PM, however, Pronteer has ensured plenty of publicity, and it is only fair that my rebuttal is equally as public.

I come back after 4/5 days to find 3 invoices, 1 angry email, PM’s and a Paypal dispute.

Where I was is irrelevant, and is neither the business of Pronteer, nor this public forum. Needless to say, I had no net access, as for ASCUK, I haven’t been on there since the sales forums closed, my log in was faux, I genuinely have no other explanation.

Pronteer, please do not send me emails saying "STOP AVOIDING ME," I was not avoiding you; please don’t think so highly of yourself. Also, I am not a thief, so “I WANT MY MONEY BACK YOU THEIF !” repeated several times is very inappropriate.

I can only guess what kind of spam was in my thread, I caught the "Don’t deal with Curious" messages, but as Pablo has cleaned it up, not much I can say about that.

First and foremost, I would like to apologise to Pronteer for "vanishing," however, I do implore you Pronteer, to be slightly more patient, and far less aggressive.

Now, for my side of the story:

Started as usual sales threads go, PM this, payment sent promptly, item posted.

I sent a fully working iPod, I am not a scammer, I tested the iPod before posting, as I test all electronic goods. I have sold countless items on this forum as well as eBay. So lets clear that up right now. I have never had a problem with any sale before this one.

I received an angry PM from Pronteer demanding money back before he returned the iPod and various spam began to appear in other sales threads before I even had a chance to reply.

Now, ANY seller, across ANY market, knows that, you simply do not refund money unless you can inspect the goods yourself (Remember, I sent a working iPod, this meant one of two things, the item was damaged in transit, or Pronteer broke it himself. The latter being unlikely, considering the massive scale of this misunderstanding)

I then requested that Pronteer returned the iPod first; unfortunately it was at this point I was called away. However, Pronteer has quite openly told this forum that he knows my address, so why he didn’t simply adhere to my simple request is beyond me (although, his refund would only just have been processed anyway.)

I’m still trying to sort through chronologically all the things that have been done (PM to post to email etc,) I only just got back, but this has been dragged out long enough.

I DO NOT, HOWEVER, respond kindly to personal threats on my safety, so tell me Pronteer, why do you “really want to see my *fruitcage* *badgeress* face for yourself,” what exactly are you going to do when you, “get down here?” I am very curious (no pun intended) as to which one of us should be calling the police.

Your refund would have been easily sorted had you been well spoken, well mannered and well tempered, unfortunately this was not the case, and instead, you have resorted to Guerrilla tactics and slander.

I will happily refund you £30. This is just under half, after postage, packaging and Paypal fees, of what I received. It is also 50% of the cost of fixing the problem - the cost you quoted in our Paypal dispute. You should consider yourself lucky that I offer any refund at all, considering the way you have handled this matter. You should also consider it fair, as I do not usually take responsibility for items damaged in transit or by the buyers’ own negligence. This offer is not open to negotiation and whether you accept or decline, I will consider this matter closed.

I feel I should warn you, Paypal are rather useless with any disputes, an actual scammer has stung me, Paypal could only retrieve funds already in his account, and I currently have around £8 in mine.

I thank you, and anyone else looking, for your time in reading this exceedingly long post (a record for me I think)

Thanks,

Dom

just a little warning, i dont take kindly to people insulting my intelligence, so, NO, i'm NOT going to be polite

ALSO A LITTLE NOTE, YOU ARE TRYING TO SOUND CLEVER, BUT YOU REALLY AHVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE SAYING MOST OF THE TIME

first of all, half of what you have said is a load of ######s, stop talking *beep*, because you know you are a liar

YOU ARE A LIAR AND I HAVE PROOF....

you said you were called away on the day that you stopped all communications with me. you also said that you stopped communcations because you had no access to the internet. first of all, there are very few places on this EARTH that this is possible...

secondly, and even more damning...you werent online on this forum, but YOU WERE ONLINE ON ASCUK, so dont lie! how can your login be faux? that's just a big load of ######! you really think anyone with half a brain will believe that?

YOU STOPPED COMMUNICATIONS ON BOTH FORUMS AND ARE NOW BACK BECAUSE YOU AHVE BEEN SERVED WITH A PAYPAL DISPUTE, SIMPLE AS THAT.

and NO, I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYHTING LESS THAN £60 AS THE REFUND BECAUSE THIS WILL BE MY MONETARY COST OF GETTING THE PROBLEM SORTED. THS IS IGNORING THE COST OF ALL THE HEADACHE AND INCONVENIENVE CAUSED!!!

YOU ARE LUCKY IM SETTLING FOR £60!

I quote..."I DO NOT, HOWEVER, respond kindly to personal threats on my safety, so tell me Pronteer, why do you “really want to see my *fruitcage* *badgeress* face for yourself,” what exactly are you going to do when you, “get down here?” I am very curious (no pun intended) as to which one of us should be calling the police."

Yes...i did say i want to see your face for myself...how is this a threat on your personal safety? do you not understand english? seeing someone's face is not threatning them...you need some lessons on comprehension !

furthermore... i never said "get down here?" so i have no idea why you are putting this in quotes, as if i said it, you need some lessons in english grammar.

and yeah, just to confirm, i should be the one calling the police, because i am the one who has been ripped off.

i quote..."Your refund would have been easily sorted had you been well spoken, well mannered and well tempered, unfortunately this was not the case, and instead, you have resorted to Guerrilla tactics and slander."

are you on crack or something? i was kind andpolite in my first 3/4 PMs to you, but, you basically denied the whole thing told me to ###### off, so i became very annoyed! and rightly so!

Guerilla tactics? how have i, in any way, been employing these sorts of tactics? i have been extremely open about the whole issue...i'm not sure you understand the meaning of the phrase...

and NO, I HAVE NOT SLANDERED YOU, i have told the absolute truth! again, i'm not ure you understand the meaning of the word, slander implies that what said was untrue...please point out any statement that i said that is untrue

INFACT, you are the one who is slanderous, you are saying that i have made this whole thing up!

IN CLOSING...

I WANT EITHER A FULL REFUND OR £60 TO FIX THE IPOD...WHICH IS INFACT, ONLY FAIR! AS I ONLY WANT WHAT I PAID FOR!

I WILL NOT NEGOTIATE

ALSO A LITTLE NOTE, YOU ARE TRYING TO SOUND CLEVER, BUT YOU REALLY AHVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE SAYING MOST OF THE TIME

The irony is so intense here, that I really, honestly, truly, had my head explode.

YOU ARE A LIAR AND I HAVE PROOF....

you said you were called away on the day that you stopped all communications with me. you also said that you stopped communcations because you had no access to the internet. first of all, there are very few places on this EARTH that this is possible...

This is not proof, this is your assumption, however, I should rephrase to, "Checking the airsoft forums or my personal email was not of great importance to me at the time," truth be told, the internet facilities were there, but they were costly, and it really wasnt a high priority for me

secondly, and even more damning...you werent online on this forum, but YOU WERE ONLINE ON ASCUK, so dont lie! how can your login be faux? that's just a big load of ######! you really think anyone with half a brain will believe that?

Its pretty simple, most likely solution I can think of is I'm still logged in there (cookie,) and I am not the only one to use this computer.

YOU STOPPED COMMUNICATIONS ON BOTH FORUMS AND ARE NOW BACK BECAUSE YOU AHVE BEEN SERVED WITH A PAYPAL DISPUTE, SIMPLE AS THAT.

and NO, I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYHTING LESS THAN £60 AS THE REFUND BECAUSE THIS WILL BE MY MONETARY COST OF GETTING THE PROBLEM SORTED. THS IS IGNORING THE COST OF ALL THE HEADACHE AND INCONVENIENVE CAUSED!!!

YOU ARE LUCKY IM SETTLING FOR £60!

Dont say I didnt warn you about the paypal dipute... See my closing sentiment, I really have no problems with a dispute, I have had two disputes as a buyer, and neither were particularly successful.

NO, I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYHTING LESS THAN £60 AS THE REFUND BECAUSE THIS WILL BE MY MONETARY COST OF GETTING THE

Couldn't help myself here, the monetary cost? as opposed to what?

I quote..."I DO NOT, HOWEVER, respond kindly to personal threats on my safety, so tell me Pronteer, why do you “really want to see my *fruitcage* *badgeress* face for yourself,” what exactly are you going to do when you, “get down here?” I am very curious (no pun intended) as to which one of us should be calling the police."

Yes...i did say i want to see your face for myself...how is this a threat on your personal safety? do you not understand english? seeing someone's face is not threatning them...you need some lessons on comprehension !

furthermore... i never said "get down here?" so i have no idea why you are putting this in quotes, as if i said it, you need some lessons in english grammar.

You want to see my face? How lovely, we can have a nice chat and a cup of tea. Its clear what your intentions from that post were. "Do you think anyone with half a brain" would believe otherwise?

i do have his address, but dont know when i will find time to go down there

'Nuff said about that.

are you on crack or something? i was kind andpolite in my first 3/4 PMs to you, but, you basically denied the whole thing told me to ###### off, so i became very annoyed! and rightly so!

Guerilla tactics? how have i, in any way, been employing these sorts of tactics? i have been extremely open about the whole issue...i'm not sure you understand the meaning of the phrase...

When did I ever tell you to ###### off? Not once... I havent ever been argumentative or rude during this dispute.

Spamming the hell out of my [irrelevant] threads, threats to my safety as well as caps lock permanently engaged, which everyone accepts as shouting in type. Guerilla tactics? Of course not...

What was that about english lessons?

and NO, I HAVE NOT SLANDERED YOU, i have told the absolute truth! again, i'm not ure you understand the meaning of the word, slander implies that what said was untrue...please point out any statement that i said that is untrue

That I sent a broken Ipod

That I am a liar

That I am a thief

That I told you to "###### off"

None of which are true. Theres a start for you.

INFACT, you are the one who is slanderous, you are saying that i have made this whole thing up!

Did I ever say the ipod was fictional? Did I ever say that the ipod was not broken? I have not ever implied that you made this up, I fully believe the ipod to be broken. It just wasnt me that broke it.

I WANT EITHER A FULL REFUND OR £60 TO FIX THE IPOD...WHICH IS INFACT, ONLY FAIR! AS I ONLY WANT WHAT I PAID FOR!

So I lose the Ipod and £60? Or I get an Ipod returned that was sent out working fine, and comes back broken?

I WILL NOT NEGOTIATE

Paypal dispute away... As most can probably tell, my patience on this matter is wearing rather thin.

Thanks to all who read,

Dom

"So I lose the Ipod and £60? Or I get an Ipod returned that was sent out working fine, and comes back broken?"

ofcourse you get your ipod back, what am i going to do with a broken ipod?

this is what im saying...

£50 refund to fix the ipod or full refund and you get the ipod back

i dont really care either way, i just want this headache over

what am i going to do with a broken ipod?

Good question.

No more caps lock? No more flying allegations riddled with poor spelling? No rebuttal?

You declined my offer, and neither me or you are willing to negotiate.

Paypal away....

Dom

yes, well i have calmed adown a little, but im still so pissedoff that you wont allow me to get what i clearly deserve

why should i expect anyhting less than a WORKING ipod???

do you seriously expect me to pay for a "working" ipod and then have to pay £50 to repair it myself? or even £20 if you give me this £30 refund????

why should i pay anything???

my job in this transaction is to pay, that is it, it is the sellers job to make sure the item gets to the buyer in working condition. that did not happen in this case.

so, i need the £50 to repair the ipod or you can give me a full refund and i'll send the ipod back to you.

either way is fine with me

I'm not going to get involved or takes sides in your dispute, but could it be possible that *both* of you fulfilled your end of the bargain and the goods were damaged by the carrier?

Assuming the buyer had the good sense to insist it was despatched via a method which includes so kind of insurance, you could initiate a claim with the carrier for the FULL value and nobody loses out. Even if it were only sent first class or recorded the BUYER can claim up to £32 back from Royal Mail, which might at least go some way towards the repair cost.

Technically, it's the buyer who is responsible for whatever happens to a parcel once it leaves the sender and he's the one the carrier consider to be the customer - the seller merely has a duty of care to ensure it's appropriate packaged before handing it to the carrier. Most businesses do try to deal with carriers on customers' behalf but it's a customer service/goodwill thing and not a requirement. For a private sale it's up to the buyer to insist on a method of delivery with the level of risk and protection they consider suitable.

i appreciate your comments bRydeR, but i am not convinced he help up his end of the deal.

the thing is mate, none of the packaging was damamged at all, it was sent in a jiffy bag, and the ipod was inside its plastic casing. so the likelihood of RM damaging it is very minimal.

also, as you say yourself, "the seller merely has a duty of care to ensure it's appropriate packaged before handing it to the carrier"...he should have marked it so that RM know that they should handle it with care. maybe it did get thrown around, i really dont know, no-one really knows.

the point is that it was the sellers responsibilty to, as you say, "ensure it's appropriate packaged", which it wasnt, if you take the position that it has been thrown around.

the other possibilty is that the sent a broken ipod, which im not sure is that likely, given his track record, but, again, i jsut dont know.

either way you look at it, the seller is at fault because either he did not send it appropriately packaged or [ii] he sent a broken ipod.

i suggest that i am either given £50 refund so i can fix the ipod, or that he send me a full refund+postage costs for me sending it back to him, and ill gladly return it to him.

he can claim from RM, i'm not going to because its not my fault the ipod was broken. so he can get £34 back from them so he only loses out £16, if he chooses to send me a refund.

i would actually prefer the £50 to repair it because i dont want to go through the hassle again of finding another 8gb black ipod in v good aesthetic condition. and that's probabily the best way forward because its the least amount of hassle for everyone.

i have now calmed down fully and would also like to apologise to Curious and indeed other readers for my rant.

Can i just ask. How did he send it?

yes, its the sellers responsibility to make sure its approriately packaged, but its the buyers responsibility to make sure its posted via the service YOU want. I personally wont have anything sent, or send anything worth more than a few quid via standard first class. either recorded delivery, with the insurance upped to cover the full cost of the item, or Special delivery. again, with the upped insurance. You couldn't have claimed via RM even if you had wanted to, it has to be the seller that claims. Its your fault if the insurance doesnt cover the cost of the item, though.

Trust me, it seems like a lot (paying an extra £15 to make sure my TMP and its 4 mags were covered) but it saves a lot of hassle at times like these.

Tink.

thanks for your comments tinkerbell

i asked for it to be sent via RM recorded delivery and did not specify about the insurance.

like you and others say, the appropriate packaging of the item is upto the buyer. he obviously did not package it properly because nowhere on the package did it say "fragile" or anything like that, when infact, an ipod is relatively fragile. the item was just sent in a normal jiffy bag.

if we take the position that the ipod was broekn when it was sent, then this is also the fault of the seller.

so, either way, the seller is liable.

please can i ask what people who fully understand the situation think an amicable solution should be?

i think the best solution is that the seller refunds me £50 for the repair and claims his £34 from RM. So, he is only losing £16 in the end, which is the what he should accept because he did not mark the package properly.

in my opinion a jiffy bag would be fine packaging. its padded with bubble wrap, and most of them are obvious they're jiffy bags anyway, so most posties SHOULD take a bit of care with it.

the only things i've labeled fragile have been things in a box with room to move around and break, fragile things like my old throat mic, which was not sent in a jiffy bag, and a laptop keyboard.

for an iPod, i probably wouldn't have bothered.

Have you still got the original jiffy bag it came it? pictures might help determine whether or not it arrived to you in a bad condition.

Archived