This is a review of the KA Reflex Sight, bought from Fire-Support for £45+£5p+p

Link Below.

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comers...?idProduct=1782

It is a loose replica of the Docter Sight

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures...l?id=2102616449

First things first, it's small I mean really small, 2 inches long and 1 inch high!

This is a mixed blessing, and I'll come back to it later.

The basic operation is the same as any other Eotech style sight:

1] Look into lens.

2] Dot is visible.

3] Place dot on target.

4] Shoot.

Red dot sights are known for their simplicty of use, but this sight takes simplicity to a whole new level, there is no brightness adjustment, nor even an on/off switch, it is all handled by the built-in light sensor, which adjusts the brightness of the dot automatically based on the ambient light level.

Turning the sight off is accomplished by fitting a black plastic cover (included) over the main body of the sight, this causes the sensor to detect no light, and switch off, it al protects the sight whilst in transit.

I know this all sounds fine on paper, but the important question is: does the brightness level suit the environment I play in?

I'd say yes, I've tested this in various light levels, from really dark, to streetlights, overcast daytime, bright sunshine, etc, and I'm happy to say that it provides a good level of light in any condition.

Fitment is simple, it attaches to 20mm rails with a clamp, tightened with an Allen key (included)

Zeroing is simple, a small flat-head screwdriver (included) is used to adjust horizontal and vertical positioning, and both settings can be locked with two separate locking screws.

As I mentioned earlier, this sight is small, and as a result it isn't too good as a main sight on a full-size AEG, the lens is too small, and you need to be in the right(ish) position to see the dot.

That's the negative point, the positives are thus:

1] Ideal for a small AEG, like an MP7

2] smaller size means less furniture to obscure your vision with both eyes open.

3] Can be mounted onto a railed scope.

Point 3 is the most important one in my opinion, I have a scope with rails built into it, and I have mounted this sight onto the top of my scope, as a backup for the scope when engaging targets at shorter range, as a scope can leave you "unable to see the wood for the trees" at short ranges, this sight allows me to make quick reflex shots, but without losing the functionality of my main scope.

All in all, I consider it a good buy, the construction is sound, the optics good, and it does exactly what it's designed for.

Again I wouldn't recommend this as a main sighting system on a full-size weapon, but as a backup sight, or for a mini-SMG sort of thing, it is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I did mention it:

"Turning the sight off is accomplished by fitting a black plastic cover (included) over the main body of the sight, this causes the sensor to detect no light, and switch off, it al protects the sight whilst in transit."

It isn't a significant flaw at all, you just put the cover on it when it isn't in use, after a few seconds of darkness the sight switches itself off, which is why I've had it more than a couple of weeks, and the battery is still going strong.