-Can you conceal an Emerson folder inside your waistbelt, or around your neck? People have been patted down while carrying them and the person patting them down has missed a HAK.

And why would you need to conceal one? If you can't carry a knife somewhere, then you probably shouldn't (i.e. court room). Let's not tell people to break the law here. Also, it'll be pretty damn hard to explain to an officer that a ringed knife isn't a weapon.

-HAKs have their place. If you need use of both hands, you can use both while still having a HAK to han-d (literally). If you take up one hand with a folder or other knife, you lose functionality of it. Surely it's not that hard to grasp - if you're on top of a ladder and you feel yourself starting to fall, you can either drop your folder (dangerously) and grab on, or you can just grab on with your HAK still safely on your fingers.

You deploy the knife when you need to use it, with one hand, and put it back when you're done using it. Also, you'll need to free up a hand even when you're using a HAK, unless you have some way of manipulating the HAK without moving your hand.

-The usefulness of the HAK is something I debated until I got one, but now I know what all the fuss is about. And now I have 3. :P

I've also had 3 over the past 4 years, a Strider straight claw, a UHAK V2, and now the Strider Hybrid. Been trying to find a reason to keep them, and "cool-factor"s all I came up with.

-Commenting on the lack of warranty and the business ethics of FrontSight and HideAway Knives is unfair - no-one willingly bought from them knowing that they were scam artists. The product was EXCELLENT, and then they dropped off the radar. If Emerson suddenly disappeared tomorrow, would you have the same gripes with your Emersons? Unlikely.

You know, if people knew they were scam artists, they wouldn't have lost $250 a piece to them in the first place. And if Emerson disappeared tomorrow, that's not a problem, considering that they don't take custom orders. Right now, a guy named "William" is in charge of HAK, and he's said that Strider Talonites will arrive soon from Mick, and when Mick was asked about that, he said that he won't be grinding any more blades for that company. If HAK's cs just disappeared, that's fine, but they're still around, and they're still sprouting BS.

-`If you need a large blade then don't use a HAK. If you need a small concealable blade, or the use of both hands, then a HAK is ideal. No-one ever pretended that they were being marketed against folders, Wave-equipped or not. They have their own niche, and even if it is a niche, it is there. Try one and you'll probably find your own applications.

The niche market, from what I gathered from your post, is "self defense with an edged weapon where you shouldn't have one".

-Finally, I take issue with your estimations of deployment time. HAKs are ready to use as soon as you draw them from the sheath, but the time it takes is entirely relative to where the knife is located. If it's hung around your neck under a T-shirt it's obviously going to take a while to draw, but I have achieved HIDEOUSLY fast draws from a sheath stuck under the collar of my jacket (and it's invisible there, too).

I've never tried the collar trick, so I can't really comment on that, but I can say is this- so you can only deploy it fast if it's cold outside?

I still think that a waved knife is faster, as for the under the collar draw, you have to reach across your chest, put your fingers in the ring, and pull back at least half way across the chest. With a waved knife, it's a matter of moving your hands up about 3 inches to your pants pocket, grab the knife, and pull up another 3-4 inches.

-An auto may not be quite as fast to deploy as a Wave knife due to the fact that you can only safely deploy it once it's outside of your pocket, but in the time it takes to raise either knife to a useable position in a self-defense role, they're both going to be deployed - the Wave as soon as it leaves the pocket, the auto will deploy in a fraction of a second as you are bringing it into position. The time the blade takes to emerge from the handle may be different, but the time to actual readiness will be no different.

Not quite sure how that works, but I think the sooner the blade is out, the sooner it's ready for use. Not to mention that you'll have to shift your hand position for an auto before it's in that "ready" position. There's also the "deploy in your pocket" problem that some auto's have.....sure, you can get one with a safety, but that just adds time to the deployment cycle.

-Anyway, I've used 3 HAKs and owned any number of folders from any number of companies. I still find the HAKs to have applications that none of the other knives I have ever owned can boast. For me, they work, and that's the most important thing.

I've owned too many Striders/Kershaw assisted openers/Emersons to feel that any of the 3 HAKs are comparable to those.

Edited by r.ocelot
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you can draw it from places other than under your collar - that's a pretty dumb thing to assume, and seems like argument for argument's sake. You can mount them on belts, in pockets, inside waistbands, under collars - wherever. Draw is as quick as you allow it to be, depending on position, obstruction and training.

And of course I'm not saying that they should be carried in places where you shouldn't carry. I was using the 'patting down' example as exactly that - an example. You yourself go on about not alarming sheeple - sheeple are going to be least alarmed by a knife if they can't see it. They are least likely to be able to see it if it is inside your waistband or underneath your collar, or flat inside a pocket with no printing (unlike most folders).

Regarding readiness time, it's simple. A knife does not jump from the opening of your pocket to a would-be assailant. You need to manually use your arm to move it into position, as with a gun or anything else. A Wave knife may be 'ready' immediately after it leaves the pocket, but it's still not going to be useable until your arm has brought it into a useable position. The auto might be 'ready' slightly later, but as long as you train enough with it to be able to deploy is during the draw stroke from your pocket to your ready position, the actual time to useful position will be no different.

I really can't put it any simpler than that. Maybe someone else can.

Regarding hands-free use, again it should be pretty obvious what I mean. I spelled it right out - you have to drop a folder to make your hand ready quickly, or you can just use your hand with your HAK still on your fingers. Less dangerous than dropping a knife, and less cumbersome than having to pocket it as you're falling off a ladder...

And about the scam artists - what's the issue? There will always be scammers around, and there is more than the fair share of information about HAK now being a bunch of scumbags. If anyone does any kind of research at all, which they should if they're about to lay out hard cash for a custom knife, they'll see what is obvious and be informed. You can't stop the scammers, but some common sense helps. See also: pyramid schemes, and numerous other well-known scams which people STILL fall victim to because they are naive, idiots, or both.

I think we can argue all we like here. We have both owned and tried HAKs. One of us loves them, the other clearly doesn't. What works for one person may not work for someone else, but in MY LIFE they have a GENUINE FUNCTION and that is what is important TO ME. For you it may be quite the opposite, in which case, gosell your HAKs and buy more Emersons. :)

I wasn't talking about alarming sheeple in my previous post, I was talking about not going to court for having a weapon on your person if patted down. Most places in the world will allow you to have a knife, IF you have a good reason for it. Self defense is NOT valid, believe it or not. Considering the type of knife the HAK is, I highly doubt any officer would not classify it as a weapon. It's pretty much a 2-fingered brass knuckle with a blade attached to it.

From what I've seen, sheeple only have a problem with a knife when you whip it out. If it's in your pocket, the clip looks like it could be for anything from 2+ feet away: a flashlight comes to mind. So, that brings out the issue of alarming people when the knife is out. You can have a regular folding knife (not something completely tactical like a Strider, or 24-esque like a HALO 3), which people have definitely seen before, or a blade that's stuck to your hand via a ring. I rather have a knife that I can USE without scaring people, rather than a knife that I can HIDE without scaring people.

As for hands free use, yes, you can use the HAK while climbing a ladder without having to put it away, but you can just pocket the knife with one hand to put it away. The same # of hands it would take if you needed to use the HAK on a ladder anyway. As for the falling off a ladder part.....I rather not have a blade stuck on my hands as I land in gods know what position. At least when a regular knife hits the ground, it would be lying flat against it. Not pointed in the direction of my falling body.

With scam artists, the issue is, I rather if a $250 knife I bought wasn't backed by those kind of people. 'Cause, you know, if there's a problem in the heat-treatment, I would have a $250 piece of steel that I can't use.

I doubt I'll buy another Emerson, since I don't ever plan on getting in a knife fight. If someone ever pulls a knife on me, I'm making a run for it.

Edited by r.ocelot
Mother of god, a Surefire Delta. I have wanted one of these for SO DAMN LONG and never been able to find proper reviews of them.

How do you like yours?

I like it;

I use the screwdriver tip (which is also very handy for a quick draw) and seat belt cutter (which does a fantastic job opening letters) more than the main blade; although it is comforting knowing I am fully capable of stabbing someone should the situation arise. It was made to be used as a sort of multi-tool with only the bare essentials; I find it coming in handy frequently.

Got myself a Spyderco Para-military after reading some good reviews

Sorry if it seems like i tried a bit too hard with the composition here, i'm no artist or photographer like some guys who post here, and i wuz bored ok.

snc10090se7.jpg

snc10060uz4.jpg

snc10066nc7.jpg

snc10099lr4.jpg

snc10101xi8.jpg

snc10107tt3.jpg

snc10104of4.jpg

Disclaimer: No flowers or leaves were harmed in the making of these pictures.

Disclaimer: Some disclaimers may contain upsetting lies.

Nowhere, cause they're illegal. And given, iirc, you're under 18, you wouldn't be able to buy one anyway.

[edit]Nice pics btw fr00b, but third one down, for a horrible second I thought the ragged edge I was looking at was the blade o.o

:zorro:

Edited by dannyboy

Got my Victorinox One-Hand Trekker today!

This is the same knife thats issued as standard within the Bunderswehr, just with a different handle (olive drab with the Bunderswehr logo)

Shown together with Victorinox tool+maglite pouch and Maglite Mini

victorinoxoht01645.jpg

Edited by Punkypink

at first its ridiculously hard to open, but given the fact its technically an automatic knife with a lockable blade, I don't think it'd do you much good. Also you wouldn't be able to pass it off as a work knife even if you removed the spring/bar and linear lock since its only purpose is to really kill someone.

Got my Victorinox One-Hand Trekker today!

This is the same knife thats issued as standard within the Bunderswehr, just with a different handle (olive drab with the Bunderswehr logo)

Is this the Bunderswehr issue knife? I mean the one that a Bunderwehr soldier would actually get in his kit?

Kinda shiny to use in the field if so. :P

I was bored. Been out of practice for a while, so just seeing which knives would throw well. Genuinely impressed with the ka bar, didn't think it was weighted properly from the feel.

ef04551f.jpg

<3 the sting. I'll have to dig out my proper board and get some practice in, my aim isn't what it used to be :( And it doesn't help that I've lost my only real throwers ¬_¬

There was a thread about this a while ago on another forum, I'll see if I can find the link in a mo. iirc, the conclusion was that it's one of those grey area knives, just to be helpful. I'll edit link in when I find it, 2 secs.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47032 There ya go, not much useful mind. There was another thread that mentioned it btw, but the person discussing it seemed to think it couldn't be opened with one hand, so not sure how much I'd trust him :unsure:

Edited by dannyboy
Not a knife, but it has an edge:

Was just looking it up, apparently it was manufactured between 1904 and 1930, so it is quite old, which is kind of cool. Wonder if it's worth anything...

Very nice-but quite new then.. ;)

This one of mine is about 2000 years old. Verified by the British Museum as genuine Iron Age sword. It is actually better condition than some of their display items...

DSC00132.jpg

Shown with MOD knife and Helle Eggen for scale.