• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou.. It is in remarkable shape for one so old. You can still make out the shoulders where the handle guard would have sat. Would have been something similar to this:

sword-new3.jpg

Would you believe that as a kid I would pop it in the end of some bamboo and throw it around the garden as a spear...? :blush:

I've got an old Deleware stone arrowhead that was dug up in your neck of the woods...

Well, put it this way I know where there is an unexcavated saxon village near the River Avon, Hampshire only a few miles from Ground Zero... It's soooooo ironic considering what the building he built on the site is used for today....whistle.gif

The Old Git was a building site manager, and when you dig up anything of archaelogical interest you have to report it to Indiana Jones and Co. Trouble is, that this could put the works behind by three months or so, with interest accumulating daily. Naturally the construction companies wish to avoid this, so managers were kind of instructed to kick things back into the earth... Go figure...

I really can't get over how amazing it feels. Not been this pleased with a blade since I first started collecting. Kinda wanna throw it, it's weighted beautifully, but so don't want to damage it :unsure: ... or my walls :lol: Reckon I'll wait until I find my board, but it does sit nicely in the hand.

:zorro:

Very nice-but quite new then.. ;)

This one of mine is about 2000 years old. Verified by the British Museum as genuine Iron Age sword. It is actually better condition than some of their display items...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/spac...it/DSC00132.jpg

Hi, its definatly fron age, but also its definatly not from a sword .

The tang is narrowing, that points to a wooden or entler hilt which is slipped/hammered over the blade.

Swords featured a slipped-over grip and a riveted pommel at the end of the tang.

Also the starting point of the blade is unsuitable for a sword, because it could not firmly hold a crossguard.

I assume its a kind of a Seax Blade, judging by its shape late roman/early medival, eventualy germanic influenced, eventualy imported from the rhine area.

Nevertheless, its a great piece of history, imho much more interesting than any "poser" items, because as a everydays item, it has a history to tell!

Source:

Oakshot "Swords of the Viking Age"

Dr. W. Menghin "Das Schwert im fühen Mittelalter" (The Sword in early Medieval)

Edited by Grimm

Well going by the size my first thoughts was a kind of Seax, but the British Museum has open evenings on thursday nights were you can take stuff for the curators to look at. The one in the Iron Age section told me he thought it was an Iron Age short sword of the pre Roman Britain era (about 2000 years old). There are quite a few similar shape in their display cases. Bear in mind that quite a bit of the metal has been lost over the years. There's some fantastic swords on display there and of course the Sutton Hoo helmet etc and it's well worth checking out if you ever come over for a visit. The real delight is every now and then there's a Japanese exhibit upstairs which feature some genuine Masamune swords..

The real delight is every now and then there's a Japanese exhibit upstairs which feature some genuine Masamune swords..

Real Japanese blades are beyond beautiful. I saw more than my fair share while I was over there (mostly in castle exhibits in places like Sendai and, I think, Himeji) and they are AMAZING. So elegant.

Edited by HaVoC

I agree... I had some photos somewhere but no scanner I'm afraid. Part of the Cannon sponsored exhibit. Wifey's family had some 'hand me down' swords and armour from the good old days. They had two yoroi in the living room- I'd hate to think how much they were worth...

Have you ever experienced sharpening issues with the KA-BAR? Both my friends KA-BAR's are difficult to sharpen I'm the only one that can do it right actually (expensive electric sharpeners FTW).

SOG Tigerstripe SEAL Pup> SOG Field Pup :D

Edited by The Crunchy Bunny
Have you ever experienced sharpening issues with the KA-BAR? Both my friends KA-BAR's are difficult to sharpen I'm the only one that can do it right actually (expensive electric sharpeners FTW).

SOG Tigerstripe SEAL Pup> SOG Field Pup :D

I've never noticed my Ka-Bar getting dull. I haven't used it a whole ton, as I've been trying to keep it nice, but I've cut a fair share, and mine hasn't dulled. There are some USMC Ka-Bar rip-offs out there that are made of pretty soft metal. Make sure they're the real ones.