• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to get an ATR, it's the law. ;)

Greg.

Mmm. Not sure about the ATR- it's a bit 'lumpen' in the handle for my tastes.. I'm after a Police, Paramilitary, a UKPK and another Millie with 1/2 serrated edge before anything else.

Well, unless I see something shiny that distracts me and that...rarely...ever....hap....Oooh, look a kitten. :D

Going shopping and no idea where to start-

criteria:

black

folding

tanto

auto or assisted open

non serrated (pref)

para cord/seat belt cutter slot

window punch

Ideas? I've hunted spyderco and Kershaw and CRKT with no luck(unless I missed something), got a bone?

Thanks,

KM

Edited by Kingmob3
Going shopping and no idea where to start-

criteria:

black

folding

tanto

auto or assisted open

non serrated (pref)

para cord/seat belt cutter slot

window punch

Ideas? I've hunted spyderco and Kershaw and CRKT with no luck(unless I missed something), got a bone?

Thanks,

KM

It's not tanto though. A friend of mine got one of these, and it seems pretty okey.

Blackhawk CQD Mark 1 Type E

• 4 weeks later...

California laws seems a little confusing and conflicting but could someone clarify the legality of carrying switchblades and blade length? My understanding is that they are allowed to be carried so long as the blade length (tip to handle?) is 2" or less. Running outdoors got a lot more interesting lately when I was chased down the street by a dog and I rather not put my faith simply in pepper spray. Right now, I do have a switchblade that barely exceeds 2" and I obviously need to replace it for carry if it is illegal. And not that I have a preference but can I carry an auto?

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/law/caknifelaws.shtml

Looks like any spring assisted are illegal, but folding are ok.

you should've read more, you'd find out that spring assisted are okay if about 2" and proper mech.

For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.

therefore there are CA legal auto knives, iirc Microtech made one (I think an Ultratech) for a while and apparently Kershaw Chive series are okay

you probably shouldnt hold your weapon and knife like that...ever. Call of Duty is not a very accurate game when it comes to stuff like "being a proficient shooter" and "wearing body armor in the correct places" and stuff like that.

As for the MOD knife, what made you pick that one?

I know, I did it for the pictures only, I already got my CQC Level 2 Qual. so I know how to handle a knife lol. And I choose the MOD because I already had a few CRKT's that I loved and me and Benchmade never got along (every knife they've ever made just is... meh looking to me) and I love the way the MOD I looks.

I know, I did it for the pictures only, I already got my CQC Level 2 Qual. so I know how to handle a knife lol. And I choose the MOD because I already had a few CRKT's that I loved and me and Benchmade never got along (every knife they've ever made just is... meh looking to me) and I love the way the MOD I looks.

CQC Level 2 qual?

What?

CQC Level 2 qual?

What?

It's an Army thing. Close Quarter's Combat Certified Level II, it's the Army's hand-to-hand combat training. All troops take level one in basic, and officers generally are expect to take Level 2 and level 3 is invitation only based on you're unit, although West Pointer's do get to go on occasion. Level 2 has a whole week of Knife combat though that's really interesting.

It's kinda like the Marine Hand-to-Hand only we don't hand out special colored belts lol.

Edited by RC-1138
It's an Army thing. Close Quarter's Combat Certified Level II, it's the Army's hand-to-hand combat training. All troops take level one in basic, and officers generally are expect to take Level 2 and level 3 is invitation only based on you're unit, although West Pointer's do get to go on occasion. Level 2 has a whole week of Knife combat though that's really interesting.

It's kinda like the Marine Hand-to-Hand only we don't hand out special colored belts lol.

Yeah...I get that...

I was under the impression that Level II built on the stuff from Level I, and was not focused on weapons, such as the Knife. You're talking about MMA style stuff. I was not aware they used weapons, at least I know they did not focus on it. Even still, the focus is to deflect and disarm, not "know how to use a knife."

Yeah...I get that...

I was under the impression that Level II built on the stuff from Level I, and was not focused on weapons, such as the Knife. You're talking about MMA style stuff. I was not aware they used weapons, at least I know they did not focus on it. Even still, the focus is to deflect and disarm, not "know how to use a knife."

The weapon part of it was based primarily on disarming and countering hand to hand weapons, as in how to use a knife wielding attacker's own weapon against him.

How's the action? I've always had auto's that wear on me which is why I always get regular folders (I opted out of getting the auto Mark I even though I have the MilID to buy one) but I have wanted an H&K knife from the day I found out they made them.

It went out one day, I just need to take it in and have it repaired. The benchmade factory isn't that far from me, so I can just drop it off. It still works fine as a normal knife thou.