I've been reading in places that the 2" limit for CA carry only applies to autos but not assisted or plain folders. Can anyone confirm?

The selection of sub 2" blades seem to be pretty limited. Any recommendations for something less than $100?

Edited by davedawg123
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, over a year and a half later, my Benchmade H&K 14750BX Automatic is still chugging along, I've only had to sharpen it once since I got it, and I use it on a daily basis.

In that case, I wonder how you define "sharp". :huh:

Edited by Moriquende

After some closer reading, turns out the 2" CA carry rule only applies to autos. So I guess my dinky little 2.5" was legal after all. Still, couldn't resist going over and beyond now...

p1040095v.jpg

S&W 2.5": Found in box of ######, served me well.

KA-BAR 4": manly, big balls, all that...

Apologies for the rubbish quality!

We have my old Strider AR folder, 1970's Randal Model 14 with a roughback sheath (yes thats Ren Wax on the blade for protection), Microtech LCC folder, custom made damasteel fixed blade with a cheapo Frosts Mora training knife above it.

post-53188-1267240657_thumb.jpg

post-53188-1267240672_thumb.jpg

post-53188-1267240697_thumb.jpg

post-53188-1267240832_thumb.jpg

Edited by The General
I've been looking into ZT for an EDC knife, as I need a bit of an upgrade.

How do you like yours?

-Vic

It's really nice, the assisted opening was the key feature for me. The scales feel great also.

I find I have to use the rocker on the top of the blade instead of the studs to open it. It snaps open so well you wind up with the ball of your thumb right on the edge.

I can slice a piece of paper with it little with to no effort. It is about time I sharpen it again. Have to fine my wetstone.

Impressive, especially for 440C and BMs heat treat.

440C is actually one of my favorite steels. It takes a fine edge and holds it ok. Although, it can be turned into almost a supersteel with the correct heat treat. :)

One of mine that's going up for sale.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Mor...es/IMG_5914.jpg

I miss it already and it's not even sold. :(

Apologies for the rubbish quality!

We have my old Strider AR folder, 1970's Randal Model 14 with a roughback sheath (yes thats Ren Wax on the blade for protection), Microtech LCC folder, custom made damasteel fixed blade with a cheapo Frosts Mora training knife above it.

I really like the Damascus. At some point I'll have a nice one too.

Just in the mail today, Spyderco Leafstorm. Very nice, very light very sharp. Too bad the clip only fits in one spot, and the assisted opening on the Kershaws has really spoiled me. Still this seems to be about the perfect EDC knife for me. I'm going to stop for a little while now.

Spy1.jpg

And another shot of this one, it didn't click at first I wound up with #1 of the run.

Ksh2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Depends on how you define cheap. ;)

Personally I find the Spyderco Delica to be the best bang for the buck, and now they also come in different colours. ^^

At some stores you can even get the ZDP-189 version for the same money or just slightly more.

Edited by Moriquende

Depends on how you define cheap. ;)

Personally I find the Spyderco Delica to be the best bang for the buck, and now they also come in different colours. ^^

At some stores you can even get the ZDP-189 version for the same money or just slightly more.

Maybe under £80-90. Which means i can get the stainless steel version of the Delica 4, but the ZDP-189 is about 90 something pounds. Unless you have anywhere that has a lower price?

And I'm not sure if i like Spyderco holes. So far I've only had thumb stud knifes and i don't think anything's wrong with them. But saying that i've never tried a Spyderco hole style knife.

I have heard the Benchmade griptilian is very good, but i prefer tip down carry knifes. Don't really want any extra slits in my hand.

Other than that i'm pretty much open to anything.

Thanks

I'd say get the standard FRN delica since you can afford it.They feel much more secure in the hand and are lighter, but if you like the stainless handles, go for it. :)

About ze hole.

I used to prefer thumb studs too, but then I got my first spydie(which was a ladybug, I think) and I was instantly converted.

They are much easier to open during stress and when using gloves aswell.

Mini-Griptilians are also nice knives and the axis lock is just awesome.

The lock is easy to clean(atleast I think so) and it makes the knife easy to close one handed.

However, I personally find the handle on the mini-grip a bit short and not very ergonomic compared to the delica. The axis lock also depends on omega springs to hold it open and closed and those springs sometimes have a tendency to break.

This doesn't mean that lock-backs are failure proof. They can fail if the locking surface is full of debris.

I'm in a bit of a hurry, but I hope this helps. ;)

Edited by Moriquende

*Snip*

Thanks mate. So far i think I'm really liking the delica. I found 2 types of "standard" Delica FRN, one with ZDP-189 steel and one with VG-10 stainless steel.

The one with the ZDP-189 steel costs 30 Pounds more, I'm thinking if the improved steel really necessary?

You've basically sold me on everything else. :D

Cheers

Depends really.

ZDP-189 is a super steel, it contains 3 percent carbon! It's very hard and it is hard to sharpen(but still easy to touch up), but it also holds an edge very well and it gets VERY sharp. Especially at low edge angles.

The VG-10 is easier to sharpen, takes a fine edge, holds it quite well and is more corrosion resistant.

It's a great steel and you can easily keep a sharp edge by just touching it up on sharpmaker a few times a week(depending on use of course).

I'd say get the VG-10, it will serve you well. :)

BTW, I think I may have exaggerated about the Ladybug converting me. I think it was when I got my first delica that I really started to like the round hole.

And you're welcome. ;)

Re the holes in the blade, I also find them very easy to use, especially on small blades. The flipper studs just get mashed by by finger.

I think I'd really like to see sort of a hybrid Ken Onion/Leek/ZT 301 style assisted opening knife with a Spyderco hole, thin scales (not metal) and a "real" Damascus blade. Not a presentation piece though, a real daily driver.