• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha!

It's hard for me to drop the hammer on something like a ZT, as it's not something I could legally carry all the time over here, so it would be sat around at home most of the time feeling all sullen and depressed, and getting all alpha-male around my SAK...!

Been toying with a Spyderco Squeak for the past month. Not much use at work (Forester - It's a bit on the small side). But for general every day use, it's been a real cracker, I haven't experienced any substantial down side from the smaller blade - I'm used to carrying a UKPK when I'm not working. The only real gripe some people might have is that it doesn't come to as fine a point.

P10004661280x960.jpg

Apologies for the "artsy" picture. My bad for letting other people near the camera, hehe.

After damaging my original sheath for my Buck 880 Solution I asked Bozzer if he could make me another, I also commisioned a leather sheath for it years ago,

bs1.jpg

bsback.jpg

I love the leather sheath made to my design, the molle one is exceptional and takes the kydex insert from the original perfectly :)

Edited by Aitch
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so as i may go outside of working areas with it, what is legal on the streets? 3inches fair enough but i would assume a folder that i had to hand operate, no mechanical / gravity assisted ones and nothing fixed blade is right?

'FireKnife'

Ok, so as i may go outside of working areas with it, what is legal on the streets? 3inches fair enough but i would assume a folder that i had to hand operate, no mechanical / gravity assisted ones and nothing fixed blade is right?

'FireKnife'

folding, blade less than 3 inches, with no locking mechanism. safest option is something like a swiss army knife.

so basically you are right, but also the manual folder shouldn't have a locking mechanism.

spring assisted/automatic can get a little complicated. there are some types that are OK (spring assisted) while true automatics are illegal. but since all the legal ones I'm aware of have a lock, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by bobthebuilder

folding, blade less than 3 inches, with no locking mechanism. safest option is something like a swiss army knife.

so basically you are right, but also the manual folder shouldn't have a locking mechanism.

spring assisted/automatic can get a little complicated. there are some types that are OK (spring assisted) while true automatics are illegal. but since all the legal ones I'm aware of have a lock, I wouldn't worry about it.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Kind of.

The legal exemption for carrying a knife in public is as follows: you do not need any reason to carry a knife with a blade (or cutting edge, the difference has never been contested in court) of 3" or under, that does not lock when opened, and can be closed without any other input from the user apart from folding the blade. This rules out any type of lock, including but not limited to, frame lock, liner lock, ram lock, viro lock (opinel style) etc etc etc.

MOST swiss army knives (either victorinox or wenger) are fine, however, SOME do have a locking blade.

One handed opening knives are fine, such as knives with a thumb stud, spydie hole or similar.

Assisted openening knives are a gray area. Depending on the policeman that stops you, you could either get away with it, or have it confiscated, or be arrested for carrying an offensive weapon. It all depends on the officer man that stops you and what your attitude is.

Automatic opening knives are definately not ok to carry in public.*

Fixed blade knives are definately not ok to carry in public.*

Locking folders are definately not ok to carry in public.*

Non locking folders with a blade/cuting edge over 3" are definately not ok to carry in public.*

Gravity knives ('flick knives') are not only not ok to be carried in public, they're ilegal to buy, sell, import or export or make.*

*EXCEPT.

the problem is, the law only clarifies whats fine to carry 'without reason'. It doesnt specifiy what is a good reason, or what you can carry with a good reason.

Good reason is to be determined by the officer that stops you. If you contest it, you will probably end up in front of a judge arguing why your reason is good enough to carry whatever it is you're carrying.

Example: You've got a bayonet in your military rucksack with other airsoft bumpf in the boot of your car. I'd argue that was a good reason.

Example: an axe and a fixed blade knife in a backpack / bergen if you were going camping.

Example: an assisted opener (or one handed opener) if you need if for work. Not just because you want one, but a legitimate reason: such as working at heights, with safety ropes and harnesses, sometimes you might not have a second hand to open aforementioned knife.

Example: automatic openers/ assisted openers would be fine if you only had one arm

Also, religious/traditional blades are fine if worn with the appropriate religious/traditional dress. So Sghian Dubh's can be worn with Kilts and sporran's, etc, and Sikh's can wear their kirpans with the related other clothing.

Gravity knives are legal to own, but only if they're historical. so ww2 pilots knives are usually ok, but as with auto's, ilegal to buy, sell, import, export or make.

Same with balisongs (butterfly knives.) You can own them, but ilegal to buy, sell, import, export or make. And heaven help you if you ever take one out of your house. All the ilegal stuff is pretty much there to allow historical stuff and heirlooms, and thats it.

Concealed/ Disguised knives are automatically offensive weapons, even if you don't carry them as such. I'm talking about knives in a belt buckle, or ones made of plastic/resin so they dont set off metal detectors, etc.

Push knives/ daggers (where the blade protrudes from between two or more fingers of a closed fist) are the same. This may or may not apply to knives like the hide-away-knife (HAK â„¢ ), nobodies gone to court to argue it and set legal precedent, so be on the safe side, and dont carry one.

The general rule of thumb if you carry a knife without the exemption (so a locking knife etc) is "Don't be a *rickroll*."

If you give a policeman officer reason to stop you first of all, you're doing something wrong. If you EVER say that you're carrying ANYTHING for 'self defence', or anything SIMILAR to that, expect jail time. Carrying something specifically for defense makes it an offensive weapon, which will get you into all sorts of trouble you don't want.

NOT ALL PLACES ARE PUBLIC PLACES.

The general rule of thumb is, if you don't own it, its not public. More so if you have to pay to get in. So museums, churchs, office blocks, public transport, etc etc etc may not be classified legally as a 'public place'. So while out on the street you may be fine to carry a pen knife, once you step into a building, that may not be the case. While you shouldn't expect to have things confiscated, don't be surprise if it does happen. Golden rule again. Don't be a *rickroll*. Don't kick up a fuss if they confiscate it, act calm and polite at all times, ask for a ticket or something similar so you can get it back when you leave, and you'll be fine.

Oh, multi-tools usually have a blade on them. They usually lock. "Because its there" its not a good reason for having it, however most of the time you'll be ok provided you're not a *rickroll*.

Hope that helps, and if you want any decent, UK legal carry knives, head over here: http://heinnie.com/Knives/-UK-Legal-Carry-Knives/c-1-92-641/ (no affiliation with the site, etc etc, but heinnie's have great service and are fantastic.)

As always, my views are not that of a trained lawyer, and as such should not be treated as such. IF you follow my advice and end up in prison, don't blame me for it.

OH! and laws differ in different countries. Don't ask me about X, Y, or Z, i don't live there, so i don't know.

:)

<<<EDIT>>> holy ######, long post is long. TLDR version: your knife may or may not be legal depending on where you are and what you're doing with it and why you have it.

Edited by Tinkerton

People take bayonets to skirmishes? :fear2: Even seeing a plastic/rubber one at a game makes me want to rip their dumb head off.

I saw a guy at TWA Annerly which is really really tight CQB where a kid was running round with a hard/solid plastic bayonet, on the front of an M16. Really ###### me off so I made him remove it.

I've got a bayonet. I take it to skirmishes. whats wrong with that? i dont put it on a rifle or anything, but its fun to open bottles with at the end of the day :D

if you've got people running around with bayo's fixed, thats your sites problem for 1: allowing it, and 2: letting a knife like that onto the field.

I love my Strider ZT, helped me sell a ton of ZT knives a while back.

this is my collection, all are working knives and have damage to show for it. the top is some mini kershaw I got as booth swag at a trade show, the middle two are CRKT, the top with the pretty design is a slide lock, the blade slides in and out much like a stilleto, but by hand. The other is a van hoy snap lock, really neat design. then my trusty EDC knife, an 8 year old kershaw something or another, then my ZT ken onion/strider.

8a07dfd5.jpg

also got this from my wife today, going with me to Alaska on my next gig.... Helle Eggen

1cb588ee.jpg

790a5a1f.jpg

9531caf4.jpg

*suitcasey* photos I know...

So I know this isn't strictly a knife as such, I couldn't think of anywhere else it would really fit in. If I am in completely the wrong place, feel free to slap me round the back of the head and shove me off to the correct location.

Also, I apologise for the shytey photos, taken from my phone as I don't have a normal camera.

Anyway, just picked up a Leatherman MUT. Thoroughly impressed with it. I'm no knife connoisseur, but this thing, to me, is just beautiful. Well made, incredibly useful and very well thought out. Also comes with a MOLLE pouch for it which I thought was a brilliant piece of thinking ahead by Leatherman seeing as it was developed for the military.

2012-07-19224401.jpg

Here's the knife blade, could anyone care to enlighten me as to the purpose of the semi-serrated section of the blade near the base, its also only bevelled on one side?

2012-07-19224419-1.jpg

And displayed in all its glory with MOLLE pouch. Also comes with a 2 end socket wrench as well which is in the pouch.

2012-07-19224619.jpg

Edited by EngageNZL