• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The general rule of thumb is, if you don't own it, it's not public. More so if you have to pay to get in. So museums, churchs, office blocks, public transport, etc etc etc may not be classified legally as a 'public place'. So while out on the street you may be fine to carry a pen knife, once you step into a building, that may not be the case. While you shouldn't expect to have things confiscated, don't be surprise if it does happen.

Very nice post Tinkerton!

The only thing I will say is reference public places, now I don't have my books to hand or the time to check properly online. BUT most legislation classes anywhere that the public has access to, regardless of payment to enter, as a public place with normal laws applying. The only difference will be the likes of 'conditions of entry' which isn't law just that venues policy, and may well have conditions such as person/property search. These are perfectly lawful, as if you do not want to be searched then you won't be... you just won't gain entry to the venue. This is a common one with clubs/bars/stadiums and some other places.

Example being a cinema... it's a private place in that it's own privately by a company. The public have to pay to get in to a screen. But inside the screen is still a public place with your normal public order/weapons offences applying.

Here's the knife blade, could anyone care to enlighten me as to the purpose of the semi-serrated section of the blade near the base, its also only bevelled on one side?

Ok, blades that are only bevelled on one side are commonly known as a 'chisel' ground blade. funnily enough after chisels, which have a flat base, and a sharp edge meeting the bottom of that base, instead of coming to a point somewhere above the base and creating a 'normal' knife edge.

there are various advantages and disadvantages to chisel ground blades, most of which i dont know and wouldn't go into even if i did, but usually chisel ground blades are better for marking, accurate cuts (most scalpels, AFAIK are chisel ground) and easier to sharpen.

With regards to the serrations, the one thing serrations are good for is cutting fabric and rope. thats pretty much the only thing, in my opinion. However, some people like serrations for general use (for whatever reason) and having the serrations on the blade will appeal to some people who just don't like plain edges.

Also, serrations are a PITA to sharpen.

So yeah, thats why :) I've been looking at getting an EOD myself, and changing out the semi-serrated blade for a plain one, or even the V cutter for webbing/seatbelts they do. Fortunately SOG make spares available online :D

<<<EDIT>>>>

Example being a cinema... it's a private place in that it's own privately by a company. The public have to pay to get in to a screen. But inside the screen is still a public place with your normal public order/weapons offences applying.

A valid point, and i may not have articulated myself as well as i could/should have. the main 'gist' i intended to put accross was while somewhere may be public, your 'rights' to carry a sub 3" non-locking folder may be superseded by the rules of the place/persons 'in charge' of the area.

Like your example of the cinema screen/gallery, while it is a 'public place', if the company in charge have a 'no knives of any kind not even plastic to eat your pineapple with' policy, your rights mean squat, and you can either not take a knife in, or not go in.

Edited by Tinkerton

A valid point, and i may not have articulated myself as well as i could/should have. the main 'gist' i intended to put accross was while somewhere may be public, your 'rights' to carry a sub 3" non-locking folder may be superseded by the rules of the place/persons 'in charge' of the area.

Like your example of the cinema screen/gallery, while it is a 'public place', if the company in charge have a 'no knives of any kind not even plastic to eat your pineapple with' policy, your rights mean squat, and you can either not take a knife in, or not go in.

it's worth mentioning that inside of a vehicle also counts as "in a public place", and you don't have to actually have the weapon on your person to comitt the offence. So for example if you had a knife in your glovebox, it would still need to meet the same requirements as a knife in your pocket.

Nice one :)

Quoting from a Spyderco Guarrantee: "Your knife is the most expensive and least effective prybar you will ever own" ;)

Indeed. In my defence the prying(and stabbing) was done on a live moose.

Ok, maybe not a live moose, but certainly a dead boar. ;)

I wont be sending this one in. I was trying to see how much it could be snapping and let me tell you, you need a lot of force.

Edited by Moriquende

Indeed. In my defence the prying(and stabbing) was done on a live moose.

Ok, maybe not a live moose, but certainly a dead boar. ;)

I wont be sending this one in. I was trying to see how much it could be snapping and let me tell you, you need a lot of force.

Of course I meant "it could take before snapping". I often think faster than I write and often forget words.

Anyway, since this is a picture thread, here's a pic of my RC-4:

IMG_0164.jpg

Edited by Moriquende

My bunch of pig stickers, as I keep banging on in here, and it's a picture thread!

3779b5f8.jpg

Top to bottom

A fixed blade buck I got years ago. My general camp knife. Takes a good edge, and is as strong as anything. No idea what the steel is.

Ontario RAT-1. Again, a general camp knife. I wanted the serrations for cordage etc. good knife for the price

Kershaw select fire. My work knife (hence the filth on it). Heavy for what it is, but really handy having screwdriver bits to hand when up a ladder, scaffolding etc for unexpected stuff!

My EDC knives

106e28e5.jpg

Top to bottom

Higo nokami friction folder, sub 3 inch blade. I got it off eBay for about £12 delivered, and takes th best edge of any knife I've ever seen, not just shaving sharp, you can drag a hair lengthways down the blade, and it will 'feather' it. Thick blade though, so not really a slicer...

Byrd tern. I got it a bit before my higo for EDC, but don't really carry it now as I love the higo, so it lives in my EDC bag. Smaller than I thought when it arrived, but actually very comfortable and useful, and I have big hands.

Victorinox spartan silver tec. Was my EDC for a couple of years, and I still usually carry it in conjunction with a dedicated blade only, as the tools are handy!

SOG micron. Got it for my keys, but has been replaced with the Vic classic below it(which ive had for about 15+ years) as it just won't take a decent edge. Also, is far more awkward in the hand. Looks good though!

Vic classic. Lives on my car key. Really useful with tweezers and toothpick, these get used far more than the blade!

3403dc41.jpg

'Car bag' knives

SOG flash II. Was my work knife before the select fire, but just wasn't strong enough. Takes a nice edge, and is very light, but I think SOG are way overpriced for the quality you get.

Magnum pocket kukri. Dull as a spoon when it arrived, but was £14 delivered from heinnie! A big *albatross*, heavy knife, and chops well in the garden. A bit of a whim, but I like it!

smaller knives

48115532.jpg

888 survivit knife. Won't take a good edge at all. Lives in an EDC pouch. Fun to play with due to the unique folding mechanism. I put a ring on the end for better manipulation.

CRKT mcguinniss shrimp. Again, a whim from heinnie. The GITD backstrap isn't half as bright as the web images, but an ok little knife. It's brand new though, as I never use it, and don't carry it as it locks

f70cf879.jpg

Sinclair card sharp 2. It was £8 delivered new, so I took a gamble. Not very sharp, and the plastis is super flimsy. Not a brilliant knife at all. It is the size of a credit card though, and barely thicker.

Multitools

0f01566f.jpg

Top left to right

Leatherman MUT utility black oxide. A beast. An absolute beast. It's my work tool, which replaced the 1st gen wave next to it. Bombproof, and has a hammer! The bolt override tool is a good pry bar too.

Leatherman wave. I got it in 1999, and it's literally been round the world with me. A great, great tool, and now the newer ones have more locking tools, even better.

Bottom left to right

Paul Chen multitasker. Big, heavy and cheap. £10 from heinnie. Lives in my car bag, as it has huge shears instead of a plier head. Blade locks, so no EDC, but very good. The shears flick out like gerber multitools, instead of folding, leatherman style.

A no name multitool. Cheap, low quality freebie. Lives in the car for spare pliers.

I've also got a Stanley multitool too, not pictured. Very good for the price (£8ish).

Smaller multitools

efacce14.jpg

Gerber clutch. Rubbish. Bought as I didnt want to fork out the extra for a leatherman squirt. Screwdriver back spring broke when opening... Lives in an EDC pouch as a spare/emergency.

Leatherman squirt PS4. A great little tool. Blade is chisel ground, but still good. Lives on my keys and gets used loads.

Jeep tool. Was half price delivered, £7.50ish, so I gambled. It's ok, has a non locking blade, so UK legal. A wrench/adjustable spanner on the other end too, and the pliers lock closed.

Ohhhh shmook. i think i might need to burgle your house... I've been hankering after one of those Higo's for a while. £12, you say? tempting.

And the cardsharp has always appealed to me. Not sure if it would count as a concealed/disguised knife though, and never wanted to be the one that found out! Shame to hear its pants.

Again with the MUT! gah, you're all making me want to rape my credit card even harder :< Where did you get your's from?

Thanks for the info TInkerton.

And glad to hear the MUT gets a rave review from someone else. I was a little hesitant to drop the money on it as they are quite expensive, but rather glad I did now. I'm finding I use it almost every day in one way or another, and with a possible career in the military ahead I see it as a bit of an investment :P which actually raises another question.

Would I be allowed to take it with me into the Army? Talking NZ Army here so not sure if anyone will know. Figured I'd throw it out there and see what responses I get. (a little off topic but I figure I'll tack it onto this one, what about a MTM Spec Ops watch, would they allow that also?) Any info is greatly appreciated :)

knife2.JPG

It's 3-4 credit cards thick, but the Spydercard is still my favorite forget-it's-in-my-pocket knife.

More of my (very) humble collection:

knife3.JPG

Gerber Diesel (should've got a Leatherman), $20 ZT knockoff (with custom paintjob), Kershaw Tremor (my other EDC knife), and an old M16-14LE beater.

The Tremor was an excellent value--I love the shape and the spring assist is awesome.

The Higo was from eBay.com, not .co.uk obviously. Did a bit of searching and that was the best price (direct from Japan in dollars).

The card sharp was from a site called dealtastic I think, I saw a link somewhere and got it. It is disappointing really. If it was sturdier plastic, it would be good. Not legal carry though, as you say.

The MUT I got from amazon, £150 delivered, as they were £180 on heinnies at the time, but they have dropped the price there now, £170 ish I think. Still more, but mine took around a month to get, as it was a 'UK' seller, who bought in from the US, and didn't say at the time. And then sent me the EOD model first...

Far less hassle with heinnie!

Got a few random things for my birthday a couple of days ago (Clothes hangers and LimeLite anyone?) but that's pretty normal seeing as I just buy all the airsoft stuff that I want for myself anyway, so I get random comedy things instead and just the 1 proper present. So seeing as one of the locals decided to snaffle my Gerber down the falkands, here's a nice new one.

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

I would have liked the replaceable wire cutters I have to say, seeing as cutting open the sealing wire on ammo boxes is my primary use for my EDC multi-tool, but then again the last set did me a couple of years and were nowhere near worn out so, I'm sure I'll be ok with getting those bits sharpened once a decade.

The needlenose pliers come in handy for a million different things (usually grabbing 556 rounds that I've dropped between slats in a pallet which hands don't fit through) and having one entirely plain blade and one fully serrated means that I'm not likely to ever have to worry about trying to sharpen all those serrations. The single dead-straight edge on the plain knife can sometimes be less convenient than your standard curved tip, but I tend to find it's safer because I'm often working on something that someone else is holding, it helps keep only blunt metal facing towards my colleagues and I'm not so fussed if I cut myself.

Also personally I absolutely love the single handed opening, so much better for me than standard folding design. I'm forever having to do one very quick job then putting the tool away again (literally cutting or snipping one thing) so the Gerber spends almost as much time in drawing/stowing as it does in actual use.

Edited by CKinnerley