Going all Canadian are we, with the 'aboot' :P

But still most of the hairdressers around here are Polish and like all Polish immigrants they do the same job for half the price in half the time, just don't expect to have much of a chat with them.

However should just invest in one of those self shaving clipper dome things i have seen on the TV and set it to the longest length so i can keep my sexy hair going ;)

Though if i can find somewhere that sells cut-throats and it is not expensive i would so go for one. Then again i really need a knife, something to put at my bedside to admire. :D

'FireKnife'

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll get in trouble again fireknife...

Renegade, I know the procedures, I had wanted a cutthroat for ages, it's just knowing how sharp it is, and then sticking it against my neck, well...

It turns me into a girly girlpants who wants to run away and hide from it!

Edited by shmook

That is very true, but still the name comes from the whole legend / myth of Sweeney Todd and similar people that used it for such purposes, from what i recall that is.

Still i have been told it is the closest you can get if done properly, but if slightly missed it is likely to leave a noticeable mark.

'FireKnife'

On the contrary, the accidents I've had with mine have had cuts close up literally within seconds and disappear pretty much by the next day. You have to get it crazy sharp for the smoothest shave, but it's easy to get lazy and let it get dull enough to slip. At this point it's still very, very sharp though which is why they heal quick. Of course things could still go horribly wrong and get you Joker cheeks.

I've got 'normal' disposable cartridge razors (king of shaves Azor, as cheapest cartridges and i like it), a 'safety' razor that takes traditional double edged razor blades (cheap £5 plastic wilkinson sword one from boots) and also a 1800 something german made straight razor (cut throat to you heathens! ;).

The straight gives the closest shave, the cartridge razor is the easiest/quickest, and the safety razor is a happy medium. a much closer shave than a cartridge (like your gillete mach 9 100 blade vibrating POWAH razor), stupidly cheap blades, and takes much less time and technique than a straight.

I still use the straight from time to time when i've either got a special occasion (wedding, job interview, etc etc) or feel like treating myself to taking half an hour to shave, but my 'go to' razor is the double edged.

I really need to get my straight honed again, really, and invest in a new strop, but whatever you use, i thoroughly recommend getting a shaving brush and either shaving cream or soap, 1 it smells much nicer, 2: its a lot better for shaving (more lubricity and softens the whiskers (yes, thats the proper name for beard hair) better than ###### in a can.) 3: its so much cheaper (for example: i got a £10 pot of soap (lovely Geo F. Trumpers sandalwood stuff) last christmas (2011) and i've not even used 1/3 of it yet)

If you're going to get a straight razor, DONT get one that uses disposable blades, (known as a shavette), they're pants.

Get one with a round nose (not straight or barbers notch) as they're much more forgiving. The majority of cuts i've had from my straight are from me not paying attention to the end, and not the blade itself).

Perhaps Arnies needs a shaving thread?

Photo from my camping trip last week. I must say I think, despite it being firmly in the realm of budget knives, this Spyderco Resilience is probably my favorite knife by a bloody mile right now. Had a try of the 'ziptie mod' I often see, it actually served me well at work but it's a little bit of a pain at times. Don't think it's for me.

2012-07-26135915.jpg

Anybody have any idea how the Tenacious' black DLC coating holds up? I know it's better than Teflon and other cheapo paint finishes but I don't really know what to think here.

DLC is a plasma coating not a paint/bake sprayed on finish like Teflon or powder coatings- it's much harder and more abrasion resistant. I had a Native II for several years with the DLC coated blade and it never showed a mark, though harder camping use would probably have resulted in a few scratches.

The R feels too nice; it's like something I'd have to dress up to carry! It's all shiny and smooth and polished and not meant to be in my pocket getting banged around all day.

It feels like a military to me.

Meerkat is cool, That'll be clipped in my jersey on bike rides.

I really like the Emerson opener. I'd tried the zip tie in the past but didn't like it at all.

Did someone mention Spydercos? :D

So I've been buying again- and picked up the rather lovely Spyderco Valloton. It's a bit of a mix of things aesthetically- a sub-hilt folder with tank like build, but it sits in the hand like it was custom made for me and opens super fast too.

IMAG1303.jpg

IMAG1302.jpg

IMAG1314.jpg

And here's the complete collection to date.... I'm now at the point where I have decide if I really want a particular Spydie, and If don't already own it wink.png

IMAG1305.jpg

IMAG1307.jpg

IMAG1308.jpg

IMAG1309.jpg

IMAG1310.jpg

IMAG1312.jpg