• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got lucky with my Strider, it was at a gun show, & used, & no doubt bought before the cult following began.

I have no doubts that it is a blade that can be passed down to my son and it's quality is undeniable but the current followers are a bit nutty. I feel a knife is a bit disposable so I may snap a tip off prying something or heaven forbid have it get lost or otherwise misplaced. Some $2000.00 pretty boy knife is just not where I can be. I'm going to do something bad with it.

I suspect a lot of it is the tactical teddy bear/mall ninja types who must have one and then a few months later sell it via buyer's remorse with a sprinkling of industry insiders who get a backdoor deal and then want to flip it to help finance their retirement.

(My first post, yay!)

A few weeks ago I got a new Every-Day-Carry pocket knife. It's the Smith & Wesson Large Black S.W.A.T. Semi-Serrated. Blade length of 3.7 inches (about 9.4cm) with the legal limit in my state being 4 to 5 inches depending on the city. This thing flies open so effortlessly, I love it.

My one before that was a no-name, made in China, pocket knife that had a cool grim reaper engraved (yes, actually engraved) on the handle and was completely stainless steel. Blade length was like 3 inches or maybe 3.1 inches, no serration though.

I'm also looking to get a nice survival bowie knife to put in my car trunk's survival kit with maybe another identical one to keep in the house. I've never owned a bowie before.

You can check out my old and new every-day-carry knives in this video here: http://youtu.be/rnjS9r2SYiE

Edited by IcemanUnlimited

Tops .230 Machete, sheath is rubbish but the knife is GOOD

tops.jpg

Blaze orange Izula with custom scales and sheath and a ZT301, uber sexy AO, I love it, I doubt I'll buy another folder now :D

izulazt.jpg

Edited by Aitch

Ok guys, tine for the most tacticool knife suggestions you'll ever make:

I need a new knife to cut my fruit up at lunchtimes. Hardcore, yes, i know,

So far, i'm looking towards an opinel slimline, they're reasonably affordable, stainless steel, and a decent length and quite a narrow blade, which would really help.

So, what folding knife with a blade of around 8 or 10cm or so, stainless blade? :D

• 2 weeks later...

A couple friends of mine bought cheap knives that are supposed to be S&W clones I think, not sure which model. The problem was they had ugly rubber handles and even uglier nylon sheaths. Cut to my volunteering to make them tsukamaki paracord grips and vinyl sheaths, I think it turned out pretty ok. I liked it enough that I made a sheath for my no-name combat knife.

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

edit:

Just looked them up, the two black ones are copies of S&W's HRT boot knife. And my no-name knife looks to be a Mantrack, but doesn't match anything that they actually made.

Edited by renegadecow

I just got me a Gerber MKII, so who wants to help me reinact the scene from Aliens? I'll be bishop :P

also grabbed a MKI at the same time :) they should arrive tomorrow.

What era Mk2?.... I'd love a 60s one in the original wasp-waisted LD5 steel but it ain't happening, so settled for a classic 1980s straight-waist in 440C.

Rock solid it is too.

Ok guys, tine for the most tacticool knife suggestions you'll ever make:

I need a new knife to cut my fruit up at lunchtimes. Hardcore, yes, i know,

So far, i'm looking towards an opinel slimline, they're reasonably affordable, stainless steel, and a decent length and quite a narrow blade, which would really help.

So, what folding knife with a blade of around 8 or 10cm or so, stainless blade? :D

Spyderco Grasshopper or the Kiwi 2- both cheap as chips on Heinnies, both UK EDC legal- all stainless build.

Blades are smaller than you asked but that's to keep things on the level.

Really-for fruit butchery- I'd stick with a small folder over a larger one- less likely to freak out 'Non Knife Peeps'. ;)

Edited by demoncase
  • 4 weeks later...

currently using these below at the moment.

The BG Gerber is a fantastic little pocket knife and I have the older brother version as well. Being Gerber they hold an edge really well.

The leatherman is that good it could beat other leathermans to death without breaking a sweat

and lastly the Gunzo looks good but the steel is pants so it's mostly used as a pry bar

knives.jpg

currently using these below at the moment.

The BG Gerber is a fantastic little pocket knife and I have the older brother version as well. Being Gerber they hold an edge really well.

The leatherman is that good it could beat other leathermans to death without breaking a sweat

and lastly the Gunzo looks good but the steel is pants so it's mostly used as a pry bar

That gerber will hold an edge because of the steel its made from, not because its a gerber.

Sadly i can't see any specs of it, other than 'high carbon stainless steel'.

Glad to see that other people are liking the leathermans though, i think its going on my christmas list...