• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No love for the older blades?

This is my grandfather's knife he was issued while in the Royal Navy in WW2. It showing its age but I'll probably be in worse condition at that age

613E4C8C-2BFF-4FE4-8CAA-7BDA094FFB6E-447

373F36F2-392E-4B5D-BBF5-A9172C8EAF67-447

Despite the wear you can still see his name on it

9B96A505-FD71-4528-93CB-94AC79C8C3AC-447

The year of production on the blade

D60BB560-7B60-4A10-8676-A53C5EDD0DA3-447

• 3 weeks later...

Without doubt the cheapest, throw-away ACM item I've bought in at least 2 years or so.

IMG_1717_zps6f5a7d8f.jpg

IMG_1720_zpsf7aa3c5f.jpg

Was placing an order at UKMCPRO and they had them on sale for a tenner and I wanted to be able to tell people that I own a Smith & Wesson. :cookiemonster:

The very tip of the blade was actually bent right out of the box and the spring loaded metal bar that presses against the locking spine (apologies for my lack of proper nomenclature) was pretty badly rusted.  The grip serrations aren't even full formed, the flash around the inside of lanyard loop hole wasn't cleaned out anywhere near fully, the handle and blade shape is useless in terms of choking up for more precise work yet it's far too small and weak for heavy duty stuff and the clip is poorly positioned so it sticks far too far out of your pocket.  All that said, the thumb studs are solid and work well when opening, the rubberised finish on the handle is very comfortable and sticks well to your skin, the bowie profile (I think... closest match I could find), black metal finish and the little text/emblem details just make it look a little bit cool; at least for a parcel opener.

Surprisingly, it's actually quite sharp.  Shaved a few hairs off without any trouble.

To be honest my reasoning was pretty simple.  It's more than 3" and locks and I've got UK carry-legal Spydercos already, I just wanted something that cost so little I didn't have to care about so I could abandon it on a side table, use it very occasionally to open airsoft deliveries and add another cool looking little conversation piece/interesting widget in my room.  Obviously not impressive to anyone who knows about knives, but I've met more people in the UK who know some stuff about guns than people who know anything about blades.  It's the sort of thing that the lads I work with will pick up if they're ever in my room in the barrack block, examine in a tentative fashion, put down again without saying anything, then some time later on say "you scare me" in the break room.

• 4 weeks later...

What scorch said. I sleep in the buff too, and I'm not that desperate to keep a blade on me to stuff one where the sun doesn't shine.

Surely there's no need to sleep with a knife on you. Bedside table if you must, but there is no "OMG I NEED A BLADE RIGHT NOW" moment in the world to warrant one on you when you sleep surely?

Plus it would dig in if you rolled over on it...