• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No such thing as EDC in the UK any more, you need a good reason to carry any kind of knife.

Not true at all.  

Try explaining that to a beat bobby.

Section 139 of the criminal justice act, paragraph 3.

Also includes this:

5 The fact that a defendant has forgotten that he has with him an article to which s 139 applies does not constitute a defence of good reason within s 139(4)(DPP v Gregson (1992) 157 JP 201). 

6 Interpretation of the ordinay everyday use of “for use at work” is not a matter of law but it is for the justices to decide for themselves what the phrase means in the context of the case. 

Therefore possession of a bladed article by an unemployed mechanic to do some repairs on his car that was parked in the road could come within this defence, see R v Manning [1998] Crim LR 198, CA. 

seeing as its a pics thread i better play along,

all of these knives have been edc'd for a reasonable amount of time, the mini grip and the ukpk both have a few years of carry time

knives1_zps4d1069cb.jpg

knives2_zpse2274177.jpg

ukpk design team logo

designteam_zpsb0856b6a.jpg

and this is what i generally edc nowadays, byrd wings slipit,

wingslipit2_zps2a91d351.jpg

love having the choice of either a plain edge or a full serrated edge, all in an easy-opening package

wingslipit3_zps4c917818.jpg

Edited by hotelkilo
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I had a splurge at heinnie Haynes, and got 5 new 'UK legal' blades...

First order included these two

DSC_0350.jpg

A rough rider baby toothpick.

For £7.95, it's a lovely little knife. Sharpens up well, but the blade isn't ground centrally. For 8 quid though, it's great. Small, and gets nicely lost in a pocket. Been carrying it for a couple of weeks now.

Then this

th_DSC_0348.jpg

A marbles handyman helper 2. Again, £7.95, but you can tell. Hard to sharpen, and feels... Cheap. I bought it for the novelty really, as it also opens into a 400mm ruler!

DSC_0349.jpg

Some lines don't... Well, line up, but again, for 8 pounds, it's a fun little gadget.

Anyway, I was a bit flush, so placed an order last Saturday for these next 3.

A bear grylls/gerber grandfather knife.

DSC_0347.jpg

I don't really like gerber, don't mind bear grylls, but just really liked the look of this. Traditional meets new. It'd also a good bit bigger and heavier than I thought, you do notice it in your pocket! Nice knife though for £22, but the blade nail nick is very close to the body, making it difficult to open with short nails...

Then a boker plus trance 42

DSC_0345.jpg

it's smaller than I thought, even though close to the legal limit, and nice and light. The flipper won't open it fully yet, hoping it will when it loosens up a bit. Not carried it yet, just playing with it at home.

Last is this, a boker plus XS

DSC_0346.jpg

It's heavy for what it is, but I like some heft to a knife sometimes. The handle is the biggest of the bunch, but I like that due to my shovel hands. Quite stiff to open, but no issues with a strong back spring that some reviewers have. Been carrying this since I got it, and really like it. It replaced the toothpick!

The pocket clip is stupidly stiff though, to the point where it's basically unusable.

Cheapish knives, maybe not the best blade steel, but I'm happy with them all, as UK choice is limited for carrying with no good reason.

I'm not a steel snob, and happy to touch them up as and when needed :)

My new knife commissioned from MLL Knives (he is on facebook)

choppa.jpg

STYLE: Desert Flat.
STEEL: "5160" high carbon steel.
BLADE LOOK: Dark forged.
GRIND FINISH: Hand rubbed.
HANDLE: Black/Desert G10, Full tang construction.
HARDWARE: Black Bolts.

SHEATH: Black leather sheath.

(328mm) 12.913" OAL.
(55mm) 2.165" maximum blade height.
(196mm) 7.3/4" from handle to tip.
(8mm) 5/16" maximum thick.
Edited by Aitch

Aitch, nice!

Schmook, I like the Heinies, but they're way too expensive in my mind.

I don't know. Last time I shopped around, they had the best prices, and stuff in stock. Plus I'm lazy and already have an account set up with them!

Where's cheaper?

€230 to my door, which isn't too bad for a blade like that, the sheath is a bit ott but it does the job, more pics on here

I really like the sheath, suits the knife well. Both would make Rambo his pants with fear!

Edit, clicking the link makes made sad panda full of envy and desire. Really nice design!

Edited by shmook

derp I said Heinies, I was thinking Bokers Plus

Aha!

They are ok, like you said, maybe OTT prices, but you're limited for choice for 'big' legal knives...

Anyway, I'm happy with them, and don't mind aus8 steel, it can get a wicked edge, and they don't see serious use so touching them up every now and then doesn't bother me!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my Kenyan Maasai Knife I got from my trip there in spring. It was a genuine used, one hence the blood stains on the blade and the smell of dead animal on the blade and in the scabbard, not one of the cheap tourist copies.

(I also brought back a for show Maasai/Samburu Rungu war club made out of ebony)

The knife is a nice addition to my African Merc and SADF loadouts. Also very handy for cutting down foliage!

DSC020822222_zps55e930a0.jpg

Here's my Kenyan Maasai Knife I got from my trip there in spring. It was a genuine used, one hence the blood stains on the blade and the smell of dead animal on the blade and in the scabbard, not one of the cheap tourist copies.

(I also brought back a for show Maasai/Samburu Rungu war club made out of ebony)

The knife is a nice addition to my African Merc and SADF loadouts. Also very handy for cutting down foliage!

Nice!

I was out there in 2000, and also got a war club, but didn't see any of those knives available.

Probably a good thing as we were backpacking...!