• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can tell.

You have a gerber!

Cost to use ratio.

What is the point of a 100$ knife if its intended use is for defense? To that matter cutting someone don't do much when its the stabbing that puts an attacker down.

It's not a hammer, not a screwdriver, and all knives suck as a cutting tool. There are better ways to cut something.

Cost to use ratio.

What is the point of a 100$ knife if its intended use is for defense? To that matter cutting someone don't do much when its the stabbing that puts an attacker down.

It's not a hammer, not a screwdriver, and all knives suck as a cutting tool. There are better ways to cut something.

I was teasing you, but what do you mean by 'there are better ways to cut something'?

Genuine question :)

I've been buying a somewhat odd ball assortment of knives recently (ZT620 & Spyderco Equalibrium)...on buying replacements...sure you do of different variations...or if one gets lost. For instance, my Franken Kershaw Blur got lost at factory last year for sharpening, I just replaced it with a S30V version.

• 3 weeks later...

Balisongs are illegal to carry here I believe--too scary.  I don't like Emersons enough to pay non-Kershaw prices for one, but for $30 I'm very happy with the CQC-4KXL so far as my new everyday work knife.

The Nimravuses (Nimravi?) are fakes sold under the Emerson airsoft brand.  The black one cost me $-1.50, as it was bought to pad an AEG order for free shipping.  I have no idea what kind of steel it is, but it arrived quite sharp and is overall nicer than I expected.  Benchmade is misspelled "Bencnmade" on both, and the plastic sheath lacks the thumb lock.  

The tan one is the toy trainer, but instead of using a thicker rubber blade it's made from a rigid plastic with the same dimensions as the metal version, including the serrations that could probably carve a steak, and fits in the same sheath.  The tip was quite stabby, so I melted it into a ball for "safety".  

What state?

Yeah those plastic airsoft knives can be a bit dodgy in the wrong hands. Even training knives for some aren't suggested.

One of the local fields had empty water bottles to use as knives. Not very tactical but pretty well impossible to hurt someone during an ambush.

California.  IIRC we can collect balisongs and automatics, but having them in your car or public=jail.  Among a lot of other weirdly specific prohibited items are "undetectable" knives, so owning a sharp plastic knife=jail.  Fixed blades (including locked open folders) must not be concealed, but there's no statewide limit on length.  So you can open carry a samurai sword, or pocket a Cold Steel Espada XL, but a neck knife under your shirt=jail.  

Municipalities (including the sprawl of L.A.) have their own extra laws tacked on, though.  Good luck keeping track of that as you drive around: 

LACity_Council2.jpg

A single knife wound is more likely to be fatal than a single gunshot would.

It is also silent.

It is also potentially more intimidating.  With a gun your options are "shoot or don't shoot".

With a knife your options start with "hold it to the throat" and progress via "name carving" and "partial flaying" through "toe cutting" into "disembowelment" and then "brain stem stab".

Gives you more options.

That's why people (who write the laws) are frightened of them.

However, it is silly, you can make a knife by sharpening anything hard.

Edited by amateurstuntman

Oh yeah.  I fully agree.  Guns for show, knives for a pro B) It's just how they differentiate certain types of knives.  What I was getting at was how silly it is how in some areas assisted folders are illegal because they're just too dangerous? but feel free to carry a firearm.

Yeah Cali is a bit weird.

A lot the knife laws will trace back to good old social engineering mixed with the knee jerk response. And not just in California or the rest of North America.

Ethnic group A is flowing into your area and they've all got balisongs? Ban the knife because we can't ban poor people or any particular race.

Rowdy teen gangs making your life a living hell with their rock and roll "music"? Ban switchblades and presto no more gang crime.

I mean it works right?