• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking design, but is that not really expensive for a knife made of 440C? You can get S30V and ATS-34 knives for that sort of price. Only reason I can see is that it's built for UBER corrosion resistance, but I'd have thought that much-touted treatment would have done that anyway.

Nice looking design, but is that not really expensive for a knife made of 440C? You can get S30V and ATS-34 knives for that sort of price. Only reason I can see is that it's built for UBER corrosion resistance, but I'd have thought that much-touted treatment would have done that anyway.

From my experiences, and those of others, 440C is really a great all around steel, with good edge retention and excellent corrosion resistance. It is a great steel for a working/utility knife, which I think is the purpose of the knife in question.

The reason it costs as much as it does is because it is a Benchmade. Good design, great materials, and top-notch craftsmenship and fit-and-finish. That, and it has "HK" on the side :D ...

-Jake

No doubt it has better corrosion resistance than S30V, but from my experience, it won't hold an edge like S30V will.

If it's heat-treated well than edge retention is still reasonably good, but it just won't compare to S30V because of the make-up of the steel.

Of course, it's a step about 420C anyway. Saying that, Buck's 420C isn't bad, which I think comes does to Paul Bos overseeing the heat treat (or at least he used to, so he'll have put the practises into place).

rats, i just ran out of money :P so i am gonna have to wait a while till i get it :D , but that knife isn't going to be heavily used, i have a $600 forged and folded tanto to do the heavy knife work, and don't anyone say "OMG WTF what a waste of money", cus then i'll have to post pictures of my entire sword collection that goes with it :P

(P.S. i am NOT going to post a picture of my sword collection)

i have a $600 forged and folded tanto to do the heavy knife work, and don't anyone say "OMG WTF what a waste of money"

Not at all. A knife is a tool, and a tool that's liable to be heavily used at that. If you want to spend that much on one that won't break, all the best to you, because you'll be the one laughing when someone's $30 folder's lock fails and it closes on their finger when they try to pry a lock open ;)

Not at all. A knife is a tool, and a tool that's liable to be heavily used at that. If you want to spend that much on one that won't break, all the best to you, because you'll be the one laughing when someone's $30 folder's lock fails and it closes on their finger when they try to pry a lock open ;)

Amen.

And Phoenix360mute, that sounds like one nice blade!

-Jake

cheers havoc and sasquatch, the reason i got it tho was to complete my daisho (a set of three blades, the Katana, the Wakisachi, and the tanto), but the tanto is just insanely sharp, you have to be more than a little careful with it, one slip and you could, litteraly, take 3 fingers off, with little effort :D

SOG sealpup satin straight edge which i need very badly in the field.

i also have a very good Swiss army knife (victorinox limited edition),you'll never spot me without it.on normal days it's just in the^pocket of my pant,on skimishes it's in my backpack.

Lovely pic, see that you took the plane to get there also ;)

Thanks, actually getting there [campsite on north end of Catalina Island] involved an 8 mile hike in, not too bad.

How do you like the Fulcrum? I've been thinking of getting one.

Cheers,

Mike

:cookiemonster:â„¢

I dig it. Easy to resharpen, I like the grips as you can still manage to hold onto it with wet hands (due to indentations in the grip). The indents do not effect your hold if you are righty or lefty, or if you decide to hold it icepick or saber, feels good in the hand either way. One thing I highly recommend doing is getting a new sheath once you get the knife (I highly recommend any of the Spec Ops Brand sheaths, for my Fulcrum I went with the 'short' model and it fits perfectly), the factory one is "not so great" to say the least. Plus its a mean looking knife, the finish I got was unnecessary (Tigerstripe deal) but I thought "hey why not." If you decide to go with the finish, keep in mind that it wears away fairly easily. If you happen to have it on you at a skirmish, unsheathing it really turns heads.

well i have plenty of knives and it should be a hard work fore me to write about them all, but i have one that i'm proud over and that is a hunting knife that i have done my self.

(I'm sorry that the grammar sucks.)

We demand pics!

Edited by Moriquende