heh, I'm sure you saw the mythbusters ep where they pitted swords against swords. And it's a complete falsehood that you can cut a sword in two with another sword, at least when it's combat grade vs combat grade.

Indeed.

I am talking about ancient Japanese Katana's with very high carbon content, folded 10 times, chopping a cheap new-age katana replica (may not have even been steel) clean in half. I'll try to find out where that blade came from, all I know is it was bought online for about 100 bucks by my brother quite a few years ago. regadless, I promise you it was cut CLEAN in half.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed.

I am talking about ancient Japanese Katana's with very high carbon content, folded 10 times, chopping a cheap new-age katana replica (may not have even been steel) clean in half. I'll try to find out where that blade came from, all I know is it was bought online for about 100 bucks by my brother quite a few years ago. regadless, I promise you it was cut CLEAN in half.

Yep combat grade vs replica was a hot knife thorugh butter.

Toughness and hardness are two different things. A hard blade steel will take on a sharper edge and keep it longer without abuse, but its more brittle and the edge will be more prone to chipping. A tougher blade steel will be a little esaier to put and edge on, will not keep an edge quite as long, but is not as brittle. Because of this, instead of chipping from use, the edge just gets small dents or divots that can be taken out with a steel (a thing you run the blade across to remove burs during sharpening/ repair blade).

That said, all of this depends on how the steel is heat-treated, but i dont know much about that.

My favorite blade steel is D2. Because it is a tool steel, it is fairly hard so, it will take and keep a really good edge, but it is not as brittle as some of the other tool steels, so it is easy to maintain. That, and it is quite corrosion resistant as well.

No 420 HC, 440A, AUS6/8, or stainless china for me thanks. Its all about D2, M2, S30V, 154CM, and 440C. VG10 is good too. Guys, when your gonna buy a knife, look at the blade steel. Make sure it is something good, and it will serve you a lot better. For the guys who don't want to dish out for a Benchmade, check out Spyderco. You get good materials at a good price.

Sorry, just a steel snob.

-Jake

Jake, mind telling me more about 440c steel?

While not one of the hyped "super-steels" like S30V, 440C is a very good choice for a working knife, or just your day to day edc. It offers good edge retention, and very high corrosion resistence. A very good choice in steel and a great all around performer.

Many of the knives that say "440" on them are usually 440A which is not as good a performer as C. Just something to look out for.

Here's a table of some common blade steels: Blade Steels

Hope that helped.

-Jake

Will be getting a new GenVI Strider SnG Tanto next week, will post up pics when it arrives.

I hate you. More than anything.

What color G10? Please dear god don't let it be coyote...

Oh, and ive seen some pics of your HAK on the Badlands.

-Jake

Edited by Sasquatch

GAH! I hate you all! The one thing i want more than anything right now is an SnG tanto with coyote G10...

n00b3r, if you don't use it hard, im gonna beat you up...

Congrats on the blade

-Jake

EDIT: just noticed that i have the pack the knife is sitting on in that pic... from what retailer did you purchase the knife, n00b3r?

Edited by Sasquatch

I was bored. I hate Sunday mornings <_<

knivesmm6.jpg

Forgot these two :P

bayonetsvc6.jpg

Picture is a bit crappy as it's cold and I was shaking a tad. Haven't looked after them as well as I should have, noticed some oxidisation after I took the pic. Oiled them up afterwards. The French one is for sale if anyone is interested

Edited by dannyboy
GAH! I hate you all! The one thing i want more than anything right now is an SnG tanto with coyote G10...

n00b3r, if you don't use it hard, im gonna beat you up...

Congrats on the blade

-Jake

EDIT: just noticed that i have the pack the knife is sitting on in that pic... from what retailer did you purchase the knife, n00b3r?

Thanks, I'd get coyote if I was a collector, but since I'll be needing this for everyday concealed carry, black is the only way to go.

It wasn't really a direct purchase, there was this military surplus store on Long Island, NY, and they said if I ordered the SnG through them I can get a $50 discount from Strider's listed price.

*double post*

Hmm...I dont know then... Might be a SOG, might not...

Sure does look like one though.

Thanks, I'd get coyote if I was a collector, but since I'll be needing this for everyday concealed carry, black is the only way to go.

It wasn't really a direct purchase, there was this military surplus store on Long Island, NY, and they said if I ordered the SnG through them I can get a $50 discount from Strider's listed price.

Sweet deal! I want coyoe because it looks bitchn' and its different.

I don't understand what you meen by concealed carry. If it is in fact concealed, wouldn't it not matter what color it is? I just carry my EDC clipped in my front pocket like this:

P1010035.jpg

-Jake

Well you all, your patience has paid off! :P

I finally got around to taking individual pics of a couple of my Benchmades, so here they are, from smallest on up.

Benchmade 3100 Auto Benchmite

This is my little CA legal auto that rides in my back pocket. Shes a mean little beastie.

P1010053-2.jpg

Benchmade 705 (discontinued)

Was one of my primary EDCs untill the back screws that hold her together stripped out. The perfect EDC blade.

P1010064.jpg

Benchmade 556BKOD D2 (whew, thats long)

Cabelas edition Mini-Griptilian with D2 tool steel blade. My current EDC.

P1010058.jpg

Benchmade 140BK (discontinued G10 scales)

My big fixed blade beauty. I wear this while doing chores outside to scare off the neighbors :P . Not too big, not too small, and very easy to manipulate.

P1010062.jpg

-Jake