The UK knife laws are actually some of the better laws we have here. Regarding carrying, fixed and locking blades can be any length, so long as you have good reason for having them. Same with a folding (not locking blade) over 3".  Just to add, you need a damn good reason to be carrying fixed or locking knives. For carrying, you're generally only allowed non locking folders, with a sub 3" blade.

For ownership, I'm not aware of any particular restrictions. Can only think of one type of fixed blade that's banned outright, n that'd be pushblades.

So basically, you don't have a problem. Just as an example, http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/dj...s/knives001.jpg [/mewhores pic] That one on the end is 15" overall, with a 9" blade. Think the one next to it is just over 7".. and I do have a sword somewhere, which is fairly long :P I've bought a fair few knives from the US, and not had any problems.

Latest addition

16807002ez0en4.jpg

16807001ng3.jpg

:zorro:

Edited by dannyboy
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it depends who you are and where you are as to what counts as a good reason.

For example, I have a friend who collects knives, and quite often spends time in the woods, where he makes walking sticks. Thats a valid reason for having one. Equally, going to something like airsoft would be a valid reason, depending on the knife.

I know that same friend was telling me someone he knows got away with having a small lock knife that he uses for "cleaning under his fingernails".

On the other hand, if you're an 18 year old walking down the high street with a 3" knife, you need a considerably better excuse. Its all relative, but the laws are well written, as I've had them explained to me at least, so if you have need to be carrying a knife, you legally can.

Hope that explains my post a bit better.

....does that include those transparent bread knives?

Probably. And also those plastic knives they distribute on planes to cut your steak...

As far as I understand it (had an ex-Police Officer explain it to me) the "good reason" is as good as the Policeman controling you wants. The best reasons would probably be work related (exp: a Swiss Army knife for an electrician, etc.)

In France we are not allowed to carry any fixed or locked blade, nor any blade above 8cm. With the exception of some traditional knives, such as the Opinel, but that is also more or less left to the judgement of the police. I regularly break most of those rules, without having had any problem ever, but that's mainly because I never get controled...

BTW: nice Gerber dannyboy.

Hey Thorbar, didn't notice it was you! You're going to be back at Uni when I leave...

Edited by Lord Blackgoat
I found something similar not long after you posted actually. Makes me wonder how it is you can buy Nightshade blades over here though  :unsure:

:zorro:

Thats one of the types of knife I wana add to my collection, hence why I was poking round the Criminal Justice Act

Edited by Nitemare1
  • 3 weeks later...

My Leatherman Juice CS4. Sure, it's not a badass knife, or anything hardcore, but it's dead useful, and the tool I use most is the knife. It's extremely sharp and holds it's edge. I picked it up in May of this year and misplaced it twice. I use it almost everyday, and I use it most to cleanly cut my cuticles and scrape dirt from my nails.

P1040154.jpg

P1040153.jpg

P1040152.jpg

-Sh0ty

Had to resort to some nasty photography tricks in this light, hence the somewhat crappy focus

DSC_0173.JPG.xs.jpg

DSC_0172.JPG.xs.jpg

And here's why the tricks...

DSC_0174.JPG.xs.jpg

Might take a few more in daylight. With my better lens, if it's back from the shop by then. The current one has a big fat scratch down the middle... my Nikon objects to this unjust treatment!